The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where are the Zeiss primes for Sony?

kevin

I've been shopping for a new DSLR and the Sony FF digital cameras seem very appealing, but one thing has me puzzled: There seems to be an odd gap in the available Zeiss primes. 24mm, then 85 and 135mm. Am I missing something, because it seems odd that I could buy manual focus Zeiss primes in 21, 28, 35 and 50mm focal lengths for my Canon, but can't get them in auto focus for a Sony?

One of the biggest draws of the Sony system to me is the availability of auto-focus Zeiss glass, but.... no 35? No 50? :confused:

Eoin

Kevin, the 24mm is the latest addition. We live in hope of a 50 Zeiss but there has been no rumors.

That being said, the option of Manual Focus ZS mount Zeiss glass is always open to you with an adapter.

What we do have and not to be underestimated is, two superb Zeiss zooms, 16-35 7 24-70. While not as fast as primes, their performance is excellent.

The Sony/Zeiss partnership is relatively young with regard to DSLR lenses, I'd expect the gaps to be plugged in time, just a guess on my part.

Terry

While I understand wanting to have the same look from the same brand of lens, in the 50mm space both the Sony f1.4 and the Sigma 1.4 are very good lenses.

kevin

I hear what you're saying about the zooms. If I was still shooting weddings, I'd just bolt on the 24-70 and be done with it. But for my own use, I want a reasonably compact, top-quality 35/2 both because I like the focal length, and so that camera/lens size doesn't keep me from carrying the camera with me. It seems odd that that option is available to Canon and Nikon shooters, but not to Sony shooters.

I guess the "market has spoken" though, and zoom lens development takes precedence... :(

roweraay

...I want a reasonably compact, top-quality 35/2 both because I like the focal length, and so that camera/lens size doesn't keep me from carrying the camera with me.
Look around for a used Minolta/KM 35/2 to tide you over till they release a Zeiss alternative. I hear it is a great performer on the A900/A850 and is very compact and barely over 200gms in weight.

kevin

Look around for a used Minolta/KM 35/2 to tide you over till they release a Zeiss alternative. I hear it is a great performer on the A900/A850 and is very compact and barely over 200gms in weight.
Good to know, thank you. :thumbup:

Eoin

....I guess the "market has spoken" though, and zoom lens development takes precedence... :(
Not quite, Sony is finding it's feet in the DSLR market, Canon & Nikon have had years to develop a complete line up. I'm sure Sony has a long term view for this platform and will introduce Zeiss or G series as we move forward.

I would not discount the (by all reports) elusive Minolta AF 35 f:/2 or any of the legacy or current Minolta/Sony G series lenses. While not Zeiss, they are superb in their own right.

You are correct IMO, the general pro'sumer market preference is for zooms, it's just a little frustrating we don't have Zeiss offerings in the 35 & 50 to choose from, but we have the older legacy Minolta 35 f:/1.4 G or F/2 or the Minolta or Sony 50 f:/1.4.

Eoin

I see roweraay posted while I was composing, great minds think alike and all that stuff.

edwardkaraa

There are rumors about 2 new ZA coming in 2011. One of them is the much awaited 200/2 the second is believed to be a 35 as the current G version is not selling well due to its rendering style that makes it a niche product.

apsheng

A little OT, but the Leica R Summilux 35mm f1.4 can be altered with the Leitax mount with no mirror interference on the A900/850 (as previously feared). Of course, it's manual focus and stop down metering but is worth the effort IMO to get the Mandler look.

Alan

A

Andrea Buso

While I understand wanting to have the same look from the same brand of lens, in the 50mm space both the Sony f1.4 and the Sigma 1.4 are very good lenses.
I second that.

Some people are a bit put off by the fact that the Sony is not so sharp on the edges at F1.4 or 1.8, but I found it to be one of its strength.;)
A part for shooting brick walls at wide aperture, I do not see the needs of sharp edges at f2 or below.

philip_pj

Yes, I guess AF is a big draw for many of us. If you can stoop to MF, there *may* be the Leica option mentioned above, but there is definitely the Elmarit option with Leitax. You'd have to check with David at Leitax.

Much better for most will be the ZF 35mm f2 CZ, which can be had for not too much money new and is a simple remount (DIY) job, again using a Leitax mount. It's quite a lens, and one of the big three of the ZE/ZF series (21,35,100MP).

I would probably go this way, but I keep looking at the photos over at FM/Alt forum taken with the startling good Contax 35mm f1.4. CZ have a 'modern' (read heavy like a tank, not much short of the 24-70 ZA zoom!) version coming in ZE/ZF next year I believe, but will it be as good as the oldie? Even so, it would need a custom mount.

It's hard to improve on near perfection, but I am a self-confessed Contax lens junkie, and shamelessly use the 21/2.8 Distagon and 35-70/3.4 Vario Sonnar every chance I get!

PS That Minolta 35mm f2 and sibling 28mm are made of unobtainium and would almost certainly not be worth it even if you found one due to scarcity driven price levels.

edwardkaraa

Philip, the ZS 35 is exactly the same as the ZF but the price is cheaper and can be adapted with a simple cheap adapter to any of the major brands.

kevin

Some people are a bit put off by the fact that the Sony is not so sharp on the edges at F1.4 or 1.8, but I found it to be one of its strength.
A part for shooting brick walls at wide aperture, I do not see the needs of sharp edges at f2 or below.
You're talking about the 50mm, right? I could live with soft corners in a 35mm, too, but evidently, the Sony 35/1.4 is soft even in the center until stopped down. And it's over $1,000.

PS That Minolta 35mm f2 and sibling 28mm are made of unobtainium and would almost certainly not be worth it even if you found one due to scarcity driven price levels.
Yeah, I already looked and the 35/2 sells for over $500 and would, I'm guessing, be worth about 1/2 that the minute a Zeiss alternative is announced. Jeez, a MF Zeiss 35/2 on my 5D is making more sense all the time... :bugeyes:

fotografz

Yep Kevin, the hole in the line-up is a Zeiss AF 35mm. I suspect that if Zeiss does make one, it'll be a f/2. The other missing prime is a super-duper 100 macro.

I couldn't care less if Zeiss ever made a 50/1.4 if it's anything like the 50/1.4N which I hated. Now, if it was an AF 50/2 Macro that was optically like the ZF50/2 I used to use on a Nikon ... that would be most excellent! The Sony 50/1.4 is comparable to the Canon and Nikon 50/1.4s, except of course it's stabilized in-camera for low available light work ;) In fact, that stabilization goes for any legacy prime from Minolta, or carry overs to Sony.

Not even remotely interested in non-AF lenses for this camera except maybe a 100 macro :thumbdown: ... if I were, I'd convert a Leica R 35/2 and recent 50/1.4 ASPH which would murder just about anything out there ... especially the 50/1.4R ASPH.

If I didn't use MFD for macro work, I also bolt on a Leica R 100 APO macro ... which I wouldn't care if it was AF.

-Marc

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I'm thinking a small DSLR AF kit would be nice to complement my M9. So I'm peering at the A850 and thinking maybe this would work? It sure would be nicer on the wallet than a D3X and VR glass... Easier to haul around, too. How is the APO 70-200/2.8? Has anyone checked out the medium tele zooms in general? I'm thinking if it's decent an A850 + 70-200 over my shoulder (strap on tripod mount) and a M9+35/2 or WATE around my neck might make a fine pair. The 16-35 looks attractive too, but to be honest I bet the M9+WATE would take less space and probably weigh about the same! :LOL:

How's the AF?

Edit: oops, guess I rambled on outside the subject a bit :)

wyip

Interesting... I too have been waiting for Sony/Zeiss to release an updated 35/2, but we got the Sony 35/1.8 crop lens instead. I've read that its a fantastic lens, but I want a real 35/2 for my a900. I have a feeling the used prices of the Minolta 35mm f/2 will drop significantly once Sony releases an updated lens (same thing happened to the Minolta 85mm lenses). Hopefully Sony releases an Alpha lens roadmap soon, like they did for NEX a few months ago.

Adapting a Leica R 35/2 or Zeiss 35/2 sounds tempting...

@Jan - The Sony 70-200mm is a great performer, certainly on par with the Canon and Nikon counterparts (if not better). It was actually designed by Minolta (just before they went belly up) and replaced the old Minolta 80-200mm f/2.8. The 80-200mm is a good lens too maybe just a hair behind the Sony IQ-wise; focusing is loud though. Even better, put a ZA135 or Minolta 200mm f/2.8 on your a850 instead.

kevin

Interesting... I too have been waiting for Sony/Zeiss to release an updated 35/2, but we got the Sony 35/1.8 crop lens instead. I've read that its a fantastic lens, but I want a real 35/2 for my a900.
I was briefly fooled when I saw the 35/1.8 on the B&H website. Got my hopes up....! :D

This is such a baffling hole in the line-up I can hardly understand it, particularly when Zeiss makes 35mm primes for nearly every other DSLR out there. At this rate I'm going to end up buying a 5D Mkii with Canon's humble 35/2.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
This is such a baffling hole in the line-up I can hardly understand it, particularly when Zeiss makes 35mm primes for nearly every other DSLR out there.
But they're not AF/SSM equipped with electrically actuated apertures and electronic interfaces. I suspect designing a lens for the Sony is a joint undertaking that is rather complex from a project and product POV...

edwardkaraa

This is such a baffling hole in the line-up I can hardly understand it, particularly when Zeiss makes 35mm primes for nearly every other DSLR out there. At this rate I'm going to end up buying a 5D Mkii with Canon's humble 35/2.
I'm afraid it's not as simple as that. ZA lenses are designed and made by Zeiss for Sony. Sony decides what lenses it wants from Zeiss and what lenses it wants to make in-house, unlike the manual focus lines you mention where Zeiss freely decides what it wants to make and sell.