The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 855 or Canon 5D For Weddings/ Portraits

rollsman44

I have the 5D and L glass and was curious about getting a Sony . I shoot weddings and portraits. I also have a Canon 5D Mk2. I was thinking of selling my 5D and getting a Sony and use the Zeiss Lense for my portraits and Canon for everything else. I do need AF on the lense. can you recommend or discourage me from this ? Thank you, rollsman

MoJo

Registred Users
seems silly (sorry) to me. keep one system, and make it work for you. improve your shooting eye, your processing skills - geez, milllions of people shoot with Canon, or Sony, and make it work for your applications. i went from canon to sony myself, but wouldn't have 2 systems, that just makes your wallet hurt and your life complicated.
-Josef

fotografz

I once swapped over from Canon to Nikon ... then more recently Nikon to Sony for shooting weddings.

It does hurt the wallet. However, I'm now satisfied, where I wasn't before.

For me and shooting weddings, the primary differences with the Sony are:

A full line-up of Zeiss optics from 16mm to 135mm, and a stellar Sony 70-200/2.8 APO G zoom.

In-camera stabilization so ALL lenses are stabilized including the workhorse Zeiss 24-70, and prime lenses like the Zeiss 24/2, 85/1.4, and incomparable 135/1.8.

Most importantly, the Sony files need less post processing compared to all the other cameras I used before. The files are just closer right out of the camera. This is no small advantage
when you are processing so many images week after week.

Two systems makes zero sense. Been there, done that myself while in the process of switching over brands.

Pick one.

-Marc

jonoslack

HI There
I don't shoot anything like as many weddings as Marc - but I do a few. Like Marc I moved from Nikon to Sony, and I couldn't be happier, the glass is lovely, the camera is a joy to work with, and the files are great straight out of the camera.
I'm not sure that I'd like to use two systems though - especially two systems with such a crossover.

all the best

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Oh boy I could get in trouble here. Like Marc I have spun this wheel way to many times between Nikon , Canon and Leica in 35mm DSLR style than I care to talk about. The last was canon, which was more work in post than I want to do and cranking out 600 images is not my idea of fun. No I'm not a wedding shooter per say but events there is little difference in the same type of shooting. I bought the Sony because frankly I am just flat out sick of everything else hate Canon sort of like Nikon but bothe systems are not giving me out of the gate results.

So this time I went Sony one is obviously for the glass and to my surprise is the body fits me like a glove in ergo's maybe one of the best usable systems like that. I would never have two DSLR's of different brands on any gig. Just to much variance on file for your client would be my main reason. Last thing you want to do is process 400 images from one and 200 images from another and try to get them to match look. Just not going to happen without custom profiles and such and frankly you really need to know your processing extremely well to pull it off. Guess I answered your question sort of because i just sold off all my Canons for the Sony and so far i am pretty happy with it.
Now my main system is MF but I still need the 35mm stuff for some things or when I am just feeling 35mm for the event stuff is enough. I would pick one and go that route. I see NO value in shooting Canon for portraits when Sony with a 135 or 70-200 is far nicer in look.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Folks,

maybe I missed something, but I am not aware there is something like a Sony 855 - right? Do you discuss the Sony 850 instead?

Thanks for clarification.

Peter