Site Sponsors

Thread: Sony 850 Battery Issue

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony 850 Battery Issue

Not sure anyone has run into this but I bought the Sony 850 with battery and ordered a extra one with same exact model number. But the spare sometimes works but mostly get a warning and won't work. This is making me a little mad since it is a Sony battery and not some off brand unit. I had the same issue with a A55 battery too although that was off brand.

More concerned about the 850 I have to have two batteries. Any idea's on this. Like to order another but afraid i will run into the same issue.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sony 850 Battery Issue

I had 4 of the Sony batteries and never had a problem with any of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure what it is Terry but very irritating . My shoot the other day i shot 600 images and was running really low than i still needed to shoot some more and i switched and worked for two frames than cut out. Went back to used battery and prayed. LOL

Came home charged everything and tried several times again today and still same result. Guess i will order another and see if it is okay and return this one. Just curious if others are running into it. Other than that it did a very nice job on my shoot with very few issues. It was my first real shoot with it under pressure and it did fine.

Today my 200mm came it appears to be very very nice
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy- I have read about counterfeit batteries that say Sony on them
    A) where did you buy it?
    B) was it priced well below Sony retail price

If it is Sony, I would drive over to your nearby SonyStyle store and try and get it replaced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Amazon but it came from somewhere else. May just go straight to Sony store

Post Thanks / Like

I never buy anywhere but sonystyle. Sony seems to give preferential treatment to its direct clients. Regarding the battery I bet it's counterfeit.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy

I use four of the Sony batteries for my A900 and A700, the oldest three now two years old and they have never missed a beat.

I use two of 'em in a vertical battery grip permanently positioned on my A900. This gives me masses of battery time....more than enough for any shoot. Sure it adds to the weight, but then I prefer a heavier camera, especially when balancing 400mm and 500mm lenses!

All my batteries are Sony originals. I suspect that your second battery is not!

I also once obtained a 16Gb CF Transcend card via Amazon but sent from a source in Spain.....it was a dud! Lesson learned! If something seems too cheap to be real, then it probably isn't!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Six Sony Batteries for my two A900s, either from Sony Style or B&H. No issues. Have the Grip but rarely use it. Can't recall, but I think you have to tell it to switch batteries ... but like I said, I rarely use it so I'm probably wrong

Marc

Post Thanks / Like

The grip will use the battery with the least juice first until it's completely exhausted, then it switches automatically to the fully charged one.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Post Thanks / Like

4 genuine Sony batteries for my 2 x a900, never had a problem with any of them.
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay it really sounds like I got a counterfeit one than. Damn

Thanks folks I will source one directly from B&H or Sony which normally I do. I went through Amazon just on the battery and Amazon must have a vendor with counterfeit units.

I bought the body from B&H which i have been buying from them since I was a kid even before mail order, GASP. LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

get RMA from Amazon and give them feedback.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Threw all the packing away but I could

lightdreamer

I use 2 Sony and two replacement akkus with my A900.

The two original Sony are superior to both replacements
    in durability and capacity too.

So guess what i buy next - two original Sonys to replace the replacements.

BG lightdreamer

Post Thanks / Like

I've got 6 original sony batteries for almost two years. No problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Me also, I have five of the expensive little bricks for the A900 and A700, not a problem ever, they do pick up in performance after some usage and recharging. Interestingly they last much longer on the A900 than the A700, had me head-scratching...then I realised - I shoot all manual focus lenses, no SS, dim screen, not much reviewing on the larger cam, but the partner uses all that on the A700!

Ken Rockwell (don't throw rocks at me pls) believes that shallow charging work best for these batteries, so frequent recharges...it does seem to work better in my experience.

Go complain loudly - they may see the good side of keeping you happy, and their costs are quite low for each batt, I am sure. Even without the paperwork or wrapping, just be honest with them. If the counterfeit issue got big enough, and they are using brand names to fool people, the makers are part responsible for making it easy for villains to do so.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, sorry to hear this. I've been using 3 original Sony batteries now for almost 2 years and never encountered any such problem.

Post Thanks / Like

When I had an a700, I bought a grip and extra battery for it at the local SonyStyle. After charging up the new battery, I found that the grip did not like the new battery. I got an error to the effect of 'Insert a genuine Sony InfoLithium Battery' (it was a long time ago and I forgot the exact wording). I took it back to the SonyStyle store and showed the sales rep, and he exchanged batteries for me. The odd thing was the battery worked fine if it was put directly into the camera. This was the only time I've had problems with Sony batteries and I've gone through the a700, a33, and now a850.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

2 Sony batteries, one came with the camera the other bought at SonyStyle. Never an issue, but like anything else there is the possibility to end up with a defect or counterfeit. I tend to let them run down as much as I can, that seems to help the calibration routine. Shallow charging as mentioned above seems to cause the battery to act like the fuel gauge on an old car -- goes down rapidly to 1/3 then moves very slowly from there.
    α900+VG|F20|2xF58|16-35,24-70,135Z|STF|70-400G|50,85 1.4|16,20,28,100M,80-200APO f/2.8|28-135|500f/8|1x-3xMacro|2xMFC-1000|Tiltall+RRS, Bellows, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got 3 genuine Sony batteries (all from sonystyle) that I cycle through my A700 and A900. Two are ~3 years old and the third a little less than a year. I've marked them all 3 so I know which is which but sofar I haven't been able to detect any significant different capacities between them. Like Dave I try to run them down to the "yellow blinky" stage before recharging. Only when I have a special event or plan a whole day/weekend shooting I do a partial load to have all at 100% before I leave the house.

Btw, same with the 2 batteries I've got for my KM5D, also both original KM, and no sign of any letdowns yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the thread. I almost bought mine on Amazon, hoping to save some $$ ( Yes, 2 $'s! ). OEM from Sony are expensive tho...

Matthew

Post Thanks / Like

Another possibility; rather than counterfeit, the battery is old. The Sony NP-FM500H was introduced with the a700 in Sep. 2007. I'll bet there are more than a couple 3+ year old batteries still around, selling at a discount but guaranteed to be "Sony original".

Here's a link to some good info on lithium ion batteries: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

Graham

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have the new battery matches exactly to the original and I noticed there are two labels missing from the counterfeit . Check this out

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Plus the type is different and one says Europe only. So buy from B&H or Sony itself . I got the new one from B&H.

Andrea Buso

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Have the new battery matches exactly to the original and I noticed there are two labels missing from the counterfeit . Check this out
    thank you for posting the image.
    looking at the photo, it seems that the genuine sony battery also shows a better grade plastic shell.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay it really sounds like I got a counterfeit one than. Damn
    I have 2 genuine Sony batteries (one from Sonystyle which came with the camera and other from B&H) and both of them have performed without a whisper of a problem for the past 2 years.

When buying from Amazon, when Amazon sells it themselves, it is as good as buying it from Sony themselves. But the 3rd party sellers who sell there, may or may not be selling the real deal - and their pricing typically reflects that.
    A900 with a few lenses, flashes etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 4 batteries and don't have problem with any even after 3 years.

Luc_R

The right battery (what you call counterfeit) is the one that they sell in Europe. I have 3 off them and from the label you can't tell that they are fake or not.
    Below you see one of mine :

I believe yours is a genuine one but it could be faulty or old stock

Post Thanks / Like

Plus the type is different and one says Europe only. So buy from B&H or Sony itself . I got the new one from B&H.
    Guy,

Go on Amazon, the have records & printable invoices on everything you've purchased from them. You can do RMA from there. Very easy. In the reason box let them know!

Regards,
    Rand

BTW - My four Sony batts for my A900 are all fine after over a year of use.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I got three extras for a total of four since I wanted a complete change for the grip. It's more than I probably need, but at $42 from B&H it's not much to fuss over. (Leica M8/M9 batteries are $130!!!)

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried the quick charger? The stock one SUCKS.