The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best 24-ish mm lenses for NEX?

ZoranC

So, what's the consensus, what are best 24-ish mm lenses for NEX?

I am looking for something that will be very compact and yet not have corner smudging.

monza

I like the 24/2.8 AIS Nikkor. Close range correction, nice bokeh which is rare in a wide. RF wides in this range are going to have issues and are a lot more expensive...

Is it very compact, not really, considering the required adapter. There really aren't any very compact 24s with smallish adapters for NEX that aren't RF lenses.

ZoranC

I like the 24/2.8 AIS Nikkor. Close range correction, nice bokeh which is rare in a wide. RF wides in this range are going to have issues and are a lot more expensive...

Is it very compact, not really, considering the required adapter. There really aren't any very compact 24s with smallish adapters for NEX that aren't RF lenses.
Thank you! I have 24/2.8 AIS with CRC (as I use Nikon) but total size of package once adapter is added is putting me off. Which smaller combos would be considered "best in their league" if not "best overall"?

roweraay

Another option is the excellent Minolta 24/2.8, which will of course not have any corner smudging, and will have back-and-forth communication with the camera (via adapter). I use it with my A55, which of course does not need an adapter, and bolts on directly.

I agree about the overall package size, when a dSLR lens is mounted on the NEX. There is no getting away from it. For slimmer adapters (to reduce the overall package size), you will have to stick to RF lenses, which of course have other issues like corner smudging etc., especially those that go as wide as 24mm.

ZoranC

Another option is the excellent Minolta 24/2.8, which will of course not have any corner smudging, and will have back-and-forth communication with the camera (via adapter).
Thank you! I am not familiar with Minolta lenses. Could you please point me in direction on where I could find more about them and adapter needed?

roweraay

Thank you! I am not familiar with Minolta lenses. Could you please point me in direction on where I could find more about them and adapter needed?
Here is a page about it (I bought one in like-new condition from KEH.com for $250 a couple of months back):

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Minolta-AF-24-F2.8_lens9.html

As far as the adapter is concerned, Sony (and places like B&H, Adorama and any other dealer who sells Sony equipment etc) sells one. Remember that this adapter is not a simple mechanical coupling (like the ones for the Nikon or RF lenses) but something that has electronics built-in, which enables back-and-forth communication between the camera and the lens and also full aperture control.

The adapter is as below:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666192652

douglasf13

I've read that the Zeiss ZM 25/2.8 is good on NEX, but I can't attest to it myself.

In regards to the Sony LA-EA1 adapter, the thing that I don't like with the automated function is that you don't get full-time depth of field preview. Like with a DSLR, the lens stays wide open while focusing at any aperture. I actually prefer using lenses with aperture rings.

MPK2010

I've read that the Zeiss ZM 25/2.8 is good on NEX, but I can't attest to it myself.
I have the ZM 25/2.8. My NEX has not gotten a whole lot of use recently but I did use the 25 on it a few times and liked the results. Sharp, good colors and contrast, maybe a very slight red tint towards the very bottom edge (although I did not test enough to be sure), but overall a convincing performance. Rumors of a Zeiss 24 1.7 seem a bit shaky, but something along those lines may be coming and would be interesting.