The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Do you use in-camera Sony DRO?

engel001

When I first got my A850, I enabled in-camera DRO, realizing that I may reprocess the raw file afterwards and achieve a similar effect manually. My use of the DRO JPEG was for quick viewing, uploading, and sharing. However, with time, I learned that DRO would give me a false sense of exposure when reviewing shots immediately after exposure on the camera's rear LCD. It appears that the image displayed there is the DRO JPEG, not a rendering of the RAW file. This has led to some mis-judgements of exposure and true available dynamic range and I have since turned this feature off. Asking more experienced and professional users: If you save JPEGS in addition to RAW, do you enable DRO? If so, which setting, and for what situations? - Christopher

douglasf13

You are absolutely correct. Although DRO doesn't directly affect raw files, leaving it turned on can lead to misjudging exposure. I leave it off when shooting raw.

barry685

Im a new a850 user with very little experience at this time. I purchased an ebook from Gary Friedman on the a900 a850 cameras and found it very help full. He claims that the DRO Standard setting does affect raw, not any of the other DRO Settings.

douglasf13

Even if the DRO setting doesn't affect the raw itself, it affects the jpeg preview on your LCD screen, and that may mislead you into thinking you exposed the shot correctly. Ultimately, if you shoot raw, leave DRO off to avoid confusion.

W

wogand

Hi, I found this forum and have the same question as engel001.
I am also new to the A900 and recently bought the same book mentioned above from Gary Friedman. Great book.

I was also thinking of shooting jpg next to raw and testing DRO but haven't found the opportunity yet. Also not sure what the benifit is in shooting jpg next to RAW.

Nice forum btw :)

dhsimmonds

Hi Wogund

Welcome to the Forum. You are correct, there is very little point in adding jpegs to Raw capture. It just uses up memory space and if like me you only ever use images "developed" from raw images there is no benefit at all.

There was a time when browsing/viewing software could only handle jpeg images and then the Raw with jpeg capture option came into it's own.
Now most of them will allow raw images to be viewed either immediately after capture or later. I guess it's a hang over from those days. The A900 allows raw only or raw/jpeg so I just select Raw only.

J

Jjcra

I just got the 850 as well, after shooting the A700 for awhile I have to agree on that the jpg files do give you a false sense. It gave the appearance of at least 1 stop overexposed so adjusting then to find raw files underexposed.