The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca-Swiss QR, Sony A850 and Manfrotto 410

jeffnesh

Hello,

I would like to use the arca-swiss style clamps and plates with my Sony a850 and my Manfrotto 410 head. I have a couple questions for anyone who has accomplished this or something similar.

1. What's the best way to get arca-swiss style clamp onto the 410 head? I've seen the Kirk 3271 adapter and seen mention of screwing a RRS clamp directly to the 410 with the 410's qr lever removed for an extra hole.

1a. How solid/secure is the Kirk adapter? Does it attache directly to the head, or use the plate that comes with the head?

1b. What RSS clamp has the right hole spacing to attach to the 410 head? Or should I just attach a clamp to the manfrotto plate (is this secure?)?

2. What plates fit the a850? I know there is an L-plate by RRS. Is there a standard plate (non-L) by anyone? Do the Kirk or RRS "universal" plates work well? What do you use on your Sony a850/900?

Thanks for any insight, experience, and examples.
Jeff

(cross-posted in accessory forum)

roweraay

I use the RRS L-plate with my A900 and since the A900 is a literal twin of the A850, it should fit the A850 just fine. The L-plate is however not available for the camera equipped with a grip, however.

I use the Arca-Swiss Z1 SP ball-head and my older Arca-Swiss B1 ballhead. Could not be happier with my heads.

Yes, it is easily possible to put a non-L generic plate on the A900, even though you will not be able to switch from landscape to portrait mode, like with an L-plate.

T

tigertimb

I also have the RRS L-plate for my A900 and it does work well, but beyond generic plates I don't know if any standard non-L plates exist that are moulded to the A850/A900 base.

I have a similar problem to you with the Manfrotto 410 and have been looking for an arca-swiss clamp that will accept a 1/4 or 3/8th screw from below so that I can attatch it to the standard 410 plate.
I have tried a calumet plate which almost works, but the locking wheel is awkward with the plate in the way and there's a lot of friction with the rubber base.

In the meantime, most of my use of the 410 involves long lenses that have their own tripod feet and can easily be rotated to portrait - I then just screw the 410 plate direct into the RRS L-plate for the few times I want to use a shorter lens with the tripod.

But I am looking at the Nodal Ninja Arca Swiss Clamp with interest - it looks to take the correct mounting screw for the base, has a swivel arm instead of locking wheel and the moving part of the clamp looks as though it would have daylight between it and the 410 plate, so friction shouldn't be an issue. Would also be interested to hear if anyone has tried this combination or found an alternative solution.

What would be really great is if Manfrotto made some custom plates with the clamps built in!

Tim

mjm6

Jeff,

I used a Kirk clamp, (not sure of the number at the moment), with the 410 head. That worked very well with the head, and then the camera was set up off the 410 head a little so the access to the camera functions is fully available.

In my case, I screwed the Kirk clamp directly into the plate on the 410. The 410 plate was never removed from the head, and it is very solid, so it is not prone to coming off.

I recently sold my 410, and still have the Kirk plate (was planning to put it up for sale shortly), so if you are interested in a Kirk plate, let ma know, and I'll send yo a little info when I get home.

---Michael

mjm6

Oh, look at this thread for more information on using a QR plate with the 850/900

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9447&highlight=release+plate

I much prefer a hand strap on the camera most of the time, and the Markins plate will permit you to use the Sony hand strap, which then also allows you to put a normal strap on the camera as well. I use an OP/Tech strap with quick connects, so when I don't want the neck strap, I can remove it.

It works very well with the A/S clamps on my tripods.

---Michael

mjm6

Jeff,

That seems like a lot of work for relatively little benefit, but I guess it can be done. Forget about resale value on the head, though.

I just connected the clamp to the Bogen QR plate, and had no problems with it at all.

Either way seems to work.

---Michael

mjm6

Also,

I misspoke... I bought the Imagetooling plate that Tom mentions in that thread, not the Markins plate. Very reasonable price, and fits very well. You need to ask them specifically for the a900 plate, as I don't think it's on the website specifically.

---Michael

T

tigertimb

As another alternative, how about attaching a RRS PCL-1 or a Benro PC1 panoramic head direct to the 410 plate.

Then you could use its Arca Swiss Clamp and add the rapid panoramic option as well?
(RRS already suggest using the PCL-1 with a ball head in a similar way to add this functionality)

Tim