Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A850 observations

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A850 observations

I just recently, as in a a week ago, got an A850 because I wanted a DSLR to complement my Leica M9 for the occasions where I want reach. So I ordered the 850 with a 70-300G, figuring I'd check it out to see if it fits the bill. Here are some observations...

The 850 is a nice camera - very nice. Good dynamic range, weak AA filtration, good color. The raw files look great in Lightroom 3. Of course I saw the blue Zeiss logo and promptly entered the trance like state where I'm preprogrammed to push the 'buy' button... and here I am.

The Sony pro grade lens lineup is thin, very thin. I wouldn't want it as a main system for this reason. But it's a perfect complement to something else, for when a 35mm DSLR is the right tool.

I prompt turned off AF on the shutter button and relocated it to the AF/MF button on the back and set AF to center spot mode. Perfect.

I set the AEL button to spot reading, toggle. Unfortunately, it (as the name actually suggests) locks the exposure, not the meter. I was hoping to be able to use it to take a reading, then in M mode adjust exposure relative to this. But no... it locks exposure even in M mode!

The camera is overall great. But if Sony wants to market it to pros and serious shooters as a main system they need to invest in lenses, not more EVF gizmos and $100 Krapotar kit lenses with 5-5000mm range. The A850 (and A900 I presume) is a fine tool and perfectly marketable to that end. The next feature step up would be a more serious AF system akin to Canon's 45pt.

The 70-300G is an absolute steal. It's about as good as modern zooms get without straying into Leica/Zeiss territory. Compact, lightweight, CHEAP for what it offers. Impeccable bokeh - and I'm talking Leica Summicron 75 grade bokeh here. A little soft around the edges, and a slight contrast drop at the extreme end. Slow (f/5.6 most of the range) but moderately fast (AF). Great for people and PJ type work where there's typically little at the extreme edges, not so great for landscape or technical work, but perhaps serviceable if it's the only lens on hand. I think of it as a 70-240 with a little extra reach in a pinch.

The $5 Fotodiox M42 adapters work fine, though v2 of the firmware is needed to trip the shutter. There is no focus confirmation without chipping.

The battery charger sucks. :bang: 3-4 hours for a single cell? If I actually expected to use this camera a lot I'd get the Sony dual quick charger.

The vertical grip is... well... freaking huge. Not sure if I want to keep it. If your hands are punier than those of the Tibetan Yeti I'd say forget it.

I've grown very fond of the eye sensor and shutting off the rear LCD when I'm using the viewfinder. Never really thought much about it, but having the previews not flicker on the rear LCD is like turning off distracting music or chatter. Excellent feature! Ought to save a bit of battery, too.

Sony doesn't charge an arm and a leg for simple accessories. ~$40 for a battery is reasonable. $3.95 for a rear lens cap is LESS than the "generic brand" at B&H! About $10 for an OEM lens cap. Nickle and diming your customers has always struck me as really lame. Kudos!

It comes with an okay strap, but I'd get an UpStrap for it if I didn't already have another old favorite on hand.

The ZA 24-70 is a good lens. The extreme corners are soft at the 24 end and never clean up no matter how far it's stopped down. It's almost like they're vignetting or diffracting against an internal baffle or something. Just the tiniest amount of zoom (or crop) pushes this out of the frame. It's not noticeable for people/PJ, but for technical use the lens is probably 25.5-70 or thereabouts. The rest of the image is wonderful even wide open, and from f/4 it's extremely good. And this is with a 24.6MP full frame body. I got it so in case something happens to my M9 I can slap this on the 850 and have a reasonable backup. It works for that purpose.

The A850 mirror has a very pronounced clap and sounds a lot like the Canon 1D/1Ds. Or Pentax 67II! But it doesn't seem to vibrate much so is well weighted - just like the Canons. It's just noise, and not too bad. Just reminds me I'm not holding a rangefinder. The drive/shutter cocking is quiet.

Between this and the Leica M9 I'll probably sell my Mamiya ZD back. One half of me wants to keep an eye out for a good deal on a P45+, but the more sane half keeps saying screw it - the M9 and A850 is really all I need.

I'll end my here lest you all :sleep006: or declare me .

Those are my opinions. Reasonable people may disagree.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A850 observations

I'd be very interested to see how you compare 850 IQ to the ZD

Dave

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What pro lenses are you longing for? The 135 is stellar, you've got the 85, both Sony and Sigma 50's are excellent, there is the new Zeiss wide. I liked the 16-35 for landscapes as less vignetting.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think for the lineup to be viable in the professional market it needs tilt/shift optics, a 200/2, a 400/2.8, a 500/4, and a 600/4 or thereabouts. Some of these do exist, but not as G SSM models. (Except tilt/shift of course, which doesn't need to be AF, but they don't exist at all today.) Maybe a 21.

It's not that everyone needs all of this; but virtually everyone who makes a living off their camera will need something exotic at some point. And entire categories of use fall to the wayside without it - tabletop product catalog work for instance goes elsewhere without T/S.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well let me echo a few comments since i finally got to run about 4k in images this weak shooting runway and stage work. Freaking awesome on almost all counts for me. The 135mm is just a brilliant lens and folks go get a damn Minolta 200mm APO 2.8 HS lens. The damn thing is just killer. I only have the 24-70, 135 and 200 but I find that it is a nice setup for me. Not selling my Phase kit but this Sony is going to get a lot of play. I shot mostly at ISO 1250 at 3400 kelvin for the week here in LA and even some underexposed shots pushed up in C1 they still look very good. Noise I find in C1 is mostly in the red channel. I have hundreds of images obviously from this and just starting to wrap up and go home in the morning and I was intending to do a short thread on it when I get home but here are a couple shots

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These are ISO 800 and ISO 1250
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice, Guy! That's some excellent looking stuff! This thing doesn't even break a sweat at ISO 1250...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Let me point out a major compliment over any other 35 DSLR. This is the closest cam I have seen to my Phase and you can quote me on that. That's saying a lot coming from me

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, wonderful colors!
    Jan, regarding the AE lock, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. In M mode, it locks the shutter/aperture combination, so that you can change only one and the other would change accordingly. Then you can unlock the button in order to make exposure changes.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    Jan, regarding the AE lock, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. In M mode, it locks the shutter/aperture combination, so that you can change only one and the other would change accordingly. Then you can unlock the button in order to make exposure changes.
    Yes, the combination of aperture and shutter makes the exposure. What I'd prefer is if it locked the meter. This way I could take a spot reading off something and then set exposure relative to this - without standing there holding the spot on what it is I'm metering off so the meter doesn't change. On the lock, the meter would simply stop changing. Just like if I were holding a spot meter. In M mode the meter is decoupled from the exposure; the two have absolutely nothing to do with each other. It makes no sense to lock exposure, because it will never change without me turning a dial, however what makes sense when working manually is to lock the meter.

Just trying to explain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    I think for the lineup to be viable in the professional market it needs tilt/shift optics, a 200/2, a 400/2.8, a 500/4, and a 600/4 or thereabouts. Some of these do exist, but not as G SSM models. (Except tilt/shift of course, which doesn't need to be AF, but they don't exist at all today.) Maybe a 21.

It's not that everyone needs all of this; but virtually everyone who makes a living off their camera will need something exotic at some point. And entire categories of use fall to the wayside without it - tabletop product catalog work for instance goes elsewhere without T/S.
    I'm w/ you on T/S lenses as they're essential in the studio. I need them, especially one around 70'ish mm as I'm coming from View Cameras. A 200/2 CZ would be really nice.

MG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Well let me echo a few comments since i finally got to run about 4k in images this weak shooting runway and stage work. Freaking awesome on almost all counts for me. The 135mm is just a brilliant lens and folks go get a damn Minolta 200mm APO 2.8 HS lens. The damn thing is just killer. I only have the 24-70, 135 and 200 but I find that it is a nice setup for me. Not selling my Phase kit but this Sony is going to get a lot of play. I shot mostly at ISO 1250 at 3400 kelvin for the week here in LA and even some underexposed shots pushed up in C1 they still look very good. Noise I find in C1 is mostly in the red channel. I have hundreds of images obviously from this and just starting to wrap up and go home in the morning and I was intending to do a short thread on it when I get home but here are a couple shots

]
    Guy,

Great images with lovely colors!

MG

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the combination of aperture and shutter makes the exposure. What I'd prefer is if it locked the meter. This way I could take a spot reading off something and then set exposure relative to this - without standing there holding the spot on what it is I'm metering off so the meter doesn't change. On the lock, the meter would simply stop changing. Just like if I were holding a spot meter. In M mode the meter is decoupled from the exposure; the two have absolutely nothing to do with each other. It makes no sense to lock exposure, because it will never change without me turning a dial, however what makes sense when working manually is to lock the meter.

Just trying to explain.
    I am away from my camera right now so i cannot verify, but somewhere in the menu you can set the AE lock to "HOLD" instead of "TOGGLE". This will meter for you as long as you hold the AE lock, it will release the lock as soon as you release the button. That may be more useful for your usage pattern.

Hope this helps, and my memory serves me right. I don't use it in that mode, just remembered wondering why "HOLD" would be useful...

YMMV,

Cheers,

N
    A and E mount Too many lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks I agree some more lenses like T/S would really round out the A line

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Thanks I agree some more lenses like T/S would really round out the A line
    There are a couple of them from Schneider T/S.

There are a couple of interesting patents filed by Sony, one hopes they produce them, they are with AF too...

N
    A and E mount Too many lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Most people seem to be finding T/S happiness pairing a Mamiya lens and a Mirex T/S adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BackToSlr View Post
    There are a couple of them from Schneider T/S.

N
    And the Hartblei too...
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Another noteworthy feature: the white balance settings have a +/- adjustment, to tweak it to "daylight +3" for instance. The adjustment is in decamired, just like CC filters used to be!!! So if you want to say "shoot daylight with a KR3 filter" (CR3 in the Hasselblad universe) you set it to "daylight +3". Nice to have this adjustment, and even nicer to specify it in a unit a photographer is likely to be familiar with.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree the Mirex adapter looks nice. (I used to have a Pentax 67 Zork for Canon EF, which was much bigger and would only shift.) Stop-down shooting is workable, but I don't think personally I'd like it for volume work. Looks very useful for a landscape tool though, and I may need to get one of those...

lightdreamer

And entire categories of use fall to the wayside without it - tabletop product catalog work for instance goes elsewhere without T/S.
    I use a Schneider PC Angulon 2.8 28mm for A-Mount for many years now.
    It is a well regarded Shift lens and is also well known in Leica R land.

BG

Tony Beach

Quote Originally Posted by lightdreamer View Post
    I use a Schneider PC Angulon 2.8 28mm for A-Mount for many years now.
    It is a well regarded Shift lens and is also well known in Leica R land.

BG
    I'm using that lens as well, and it is indeed very good. I also use my Nikkor 85/2.8 PC-micro with an adapter that has no glass in it, but that only focuses within a couple of feet (about right for "tabletop" shots), and when I get some bucks together I plan on getting a Schneider Super-Angulon 50/2.8 HM and later I will replace the Nikkor I'm using with a Schneider Makro-Symmar 90/4 HM. Both of those T/S Schneiders should be out soon, but they're going to cost an arm and a leg (about $7000 for the pair).

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, nice images, and I have considered the 850/900 many times. what has stopped me is no Live View, which for architectural work I have found indispensable. I use tilt more than shift for controlling DOF, and I don't find any viewfinder accurate compared to pixel-level LV.

Having said that, and having just read the excellent review of the Mirex adapter, I wondering of my perceptions (finder vs. LV) are accurate. Can others who have used either of the Sony finders to focus tilt lenses comment on the accuracy of this approach? TIA, kl

Tony Beach

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    Guy, nice images, and I have considered the 850/900 many times. what has stopped me is no Live View, which for architectural work I have found indispensable. I use tilt more than shift for controlling DOF, and I don't find any viewfinder accurate compared to pixel-level LV.

Having said that, and having just read the excellent review of the Mirex adapter, I wondering of my perceptions (finder vs. LV) are accurate. Can others who have used either of the Sony finders to focus tilt lenses comment on the accuracy of this approach? TIA, kl
    Lets see, I have an A850 and use it with my Nikkor 85/2.8 PC-micro (with a non-optical adapter) for close-up work; and I have a D300 that I've used that same lens, as well as Nikon's 24mm and 45mm PC-E lenses. I stopped using Live View on the D300 because it would generate hot pixels, and I was able to get very good results with the viewfinder on that camera. On the A850 the viewfinder is larger and brighter and makes focusing easier. Magnification plays a part though, so on a wider angle lens shooting at wider apertures I can see where Live View would be helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Mirex T/S with 4 Mamiya M645 lenses I use with my a850. Coupled with a type M focus screen, I find the anglefinder VN at 2x a great help in focusing.

Graham

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Tony,

Well, for architectural work, I usually stop down anyway, to deepen the slice of the in-focus zone, so if the viewfinder was good enough to see in-out of focus at wide open, that would do.

@ Guy: may I ask why you chose the 850 over the 900 (once again, this is an assumption; I assumed the tolerances, finder accuracy, etc., would be inherently better on the 900, as Sony's 'pro' model)?

I ask this as a hangover from the days over at FM; endless hours testing after market screens for optical in the quest to use MF lenses on FF Canons; determining that the AF and MF light paths were different, and different again from Live View, and so on).

Another thing I would love to know is whether the finder area difference is real. By this, I am wondering whether the alleged 98% vs. 100% finder difference between the 850 and the 900 is real—I find it very hard to understand how Sony would manufacture two different prisms, etc., or is the 850 subtly masked? If anyone here knows, please comment!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A Sony parts list showed last year that the prism assembly is different between the two cameras. I think the success of the 5D II showed Sony that most don't care enough about these viewfinder differences, for better or worse. David K weighed in on the differences last year:

http://www.photokb.com/Uwe/ForumPost...dnZ2d%40bt.com

Post Thanks / Like

Douglas, thanks for that. I feel I will be looking for a kindly used A900, it seems....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello Tony,

Well, for architectural work, I usually stop down anyway, to deepen the slice of the in-focus zone, so if the viewfinder was good enough to see in-out of focus at wide open, that would do.

@ Guy: may I ask why you chose the 850 over the 900 (once again, this is an assumption; I assumed the tolerances, finder accuracy, etc., would be inherently better on the 900, as Sony's 'pro' model)?

I ask this as a hangover from the days over at FM; endless hours testing after market screens for optical in the quest to use MF lenses on FF Canons; determining that the AF and MF light paths were different, and different again from Live View, and so on).

Another thing I would love to know is whether the finder area difference is real. By this, I am wondering whether the alleged 98% vs. 100% finder difference between the 850 and the 900 is real—I find it very hard to understand how Sony would manufacture two different prisms, etc., or is the 850 subtly masked? If anyone here knows, please comment!
    Mostly cost for me as it is not really my primary system and it is used for certain tasks and actually after a week of straight shooting performed extremely well. If i missed any shots from it than it would be gone but truth is it was nailing everything with focus and speed. Never hit a buffer and I was shooting pretty fast too. I may get another as backup actually or even a A900.

My real buy focus here is really on my MF kit and the Sony is a body 3 lens with a flash and most likely will not get expanded past that.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's definitely not hard to tell there's an AA filter on it. I wonder if it's possible to have it removed - I think it would be totally stunning without!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly coming from CCD and no AA filter it is obvious. What kills me when all these this vs that especially with MF why people can't see this. Its so damn obvious there is a AA filter. I don't get it

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorta makes you wonder if it's a money-making scheme - make $500 lenses look poor in order to sell people $1800 lenses that are high enough contrast to punch through the filter! I really can't see any other rationale for it. Okay, I'm only half joking; more reasonably, it's probably related to noise filtering: any fine detail too low contrast for the AA filter to have passed through can be assumed to be noise. You don't have to venture far to realize that the people who buy these cameras evaluate them mainly on how clean the images are at some arbitrary high ISO.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Isn't another reason to go for 850 the tweaks they made to IQ. I thought the 850 handled noise a little better but not sure if the long awaited firmware update equalized things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure Terry but as my images above show the noise levels at 800 and 1250 look darn good. End of day for me at least i won't go past that and very happy with the results I am getting. I know the firmware certainly made the AF much better. The single runway models are all on continuous focus and tracking them as they are walking towards me. Rarely missed a beat. I put my AF point to the far right as I went vertical it kept the AF around the face area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Using or not using an AA filter has both positives and negatives, and I'm betting that most users benefit from an AA filter more than they would from extra sharpness. Plus, proper sharpening routines can equalize things quite a bit. Having had a Leaf back and an A900, I'm not sure which method I prefer, myself. I'm surprised how weak the AA filter is in my NEX-5. I've gotten moire in quite a few building patterns.

If I remember correctly, according to maxmax, the A900 AA filter isn't removable, due to the way it is directly fused to the sensor.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Too bad. Still an excellent camera of course.

Another observation: it seems the histogram always reflects the JPEG settings, even if no JPEG is saved... What's the best style if you want to evaluate the raw data only? (I do understand the histogram always has to reflect some processing, at least white balance and gamma.) I tried "neutral" a bit and it seems to work pretty well, but looks very similar to "standard"...

Did anyone bother comparing compressed vs uncompressed RAW?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    I have the Mirex T/S with 4 Mamiya M645 lenses I use with my a850. Coupled with a type M focus screen, I find the anglefinder VN at 2x a great help in focusing.

Graham
    Graham, it looks like I'm heading down this path and I'm curious whether you have found the issues that Pete mentions to be of an concern, in particular:

• Swing limited to 7 with rise over 4mm
    • Tilt locking screw - looks like it needs to be removed/replaced for vertical shifts?
    • >5 up tilt would require some material removal from the adapter(as Pete says, this would be of limited use anyway)

It looks like the adapter can take another adapter and use a wide variety of MF lenses, but I've heard these aren't always as sharp as a 35mm lens. What are your thoughts on this?
    α900+VG|F20|2xF58|16-35,24-70,135Z|STF|70-400G|50,85 1.4|16,20,28,100M,80-200APO f/2.8|28-135|500f/8|1x-3xMacro|2xMFC-1000|Tiltall+RRS, Bellows, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another observation: it seems the histogram always reflects the JPEG settings, even if no JPEG is saved... What's the best style if you want to evaluate the raw data only? (I do understand the histogram always has to reflect some processing, at least white balance and gamma.) I tried "neutral" a bit and it seems to work pretty well, but looks very similar to "standard"...

There was a long thread on Dyxum about this here. The conclusion:

Quote Originally Posted by Vivec
    The only case where a potential loss of precision occurs in a (super) high contrast range within 16 pixels with subtle hues. But even there, the loss of precision is minimal.
    What I find more relevant is that RAW will batch-process much faster than cRAW since the decompression step is skipped. Oh, and I don't really want lossy compression in RAW, even if I'm not supposed to be able to notice.

To get a good histogram I use Standard with only one adjustment, Contrast -3. Occasionally I use UniWB but less and less as I'm often not too happy with the colors I get, I don't ETTR much anymore so UniWB becomes a bit pointless.
    Last edited by Dave_Anderson; 23rd January 2011 at 18:11.
    α900+VG|F20|2xF58|16-35,24-70,135Z|STF|70-400G|50,85 1.4|16,20,28,100M,80-200APO f/2.8|28-135|500f/8|1x-3xMacro|2xMFC-1000|Tiltall+RRS, Bellows, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

See here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5531

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Excellent - thank you!

Another question... does the A850/A900 take advantage of faster cards - is there any real benefit to buying a 400x card? I have a pile of 133x 8GB and 16GB cards I've been using for the Sony and was thinking one fast 16GB card couldn't hurt. (It's not UDMA, right?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A850/900 are UDMA capable. Here is a nice chart:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/cam...?cid=6007-9652

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beyond about 300x the only benefit will be faster transfers to the computer, if you're using a UDMA reader. You mention 133x -- Kingston 133x are known to be unreliable in Sony FF cameras.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Anderson View Post
    Beyond about 300x the only benefit will be faster transfers to the computer, if you're using a UDMA reader. You mention 133x -- Kingston 133x are known to be unreliable in Sony FF cameras.
    Oh, wonderful. That's what I have a pile of.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    A850/900 are UDMA capable. Here is a nice chart:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/cam...?cid=6007-9652
    Thank you very much!

The Lexar 300x 32GB looks like a decent pick for $140 at B&H. I don't have a super fast reader (I have the Lexar Dual USB on RG's card reader page) so no significant benefit on that end, either...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you very much!

The Lexar 300x 32GB looks like a decent pick for $140 at B&H. I don't have a super fast reader (I have the Lexar Dual USB on RG's card reader page) so no significant benefit on that end, either...
    I've had no complaints with my Lexar(or SanDisk) 16GB 300x cards. If the reader you are referring to is the one pictured below, Lexar specifically calls it out as the one to get for 400x and faster cards, so it's not going to hold you back with 300x. I have the same reader and I'm very happy with it.

(click image to go to product page)

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, that's the one. Card's on order...

Tony Beach

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Anderson View Post
    I've had no complaints with my Lexar(or SanDisk) 16GB 300x cards. If the reader you are referring to is the one pictured below, Lexar specifically calls it out as the one to get for 400x and faster cards, so it's not going to hold you back with 300x. I have the same reader and I'm very happy with it.
    Have you measured it? I'm getting 30 MB/s right now from my Sandisk Imagemate, and no difference between UDMA 300x and non-UDMA 200x. It works out to about one second a file -- I can live with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tony, I get about the same. Actually 31-32 MB/s. I'm surprised you're getting 30MB/s out of that 200x card though... sounds like a real overachiever!

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Which 200x card is it - the Lexar Platinum II?

Tony Beach

Which 200x card is it - the Lexar Platinum II?
    Yes.