The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nex 5 Lenses

R

robbieaguilar23

Hey guys! I joined this forum just now. I'm relatively new in the hobby and need some advice. Anyway, I bought a NEX 5 with the 16mm and the 18-55mm. Still playing with the cam and the lens. I'm thinking of buying a new lens for my camera, not too expensive though. I'm thinking of the Sony 18-200mm OSS, Sony DT 18-250 or the Nikkor 18-200 DX VR 2. I'm leaning more on the Sonys 18-200mm OSS though. What do you guys think? IF I buy the Nikkor, does it support AF? Thank you.

douglasf13

Only NEX lenses and Alpha lenses with SAM or SSM focusing autofocus with NEX. The alpha lenses that do autofocus do so very slowly. I would stick with NEX lenses if you want AF.

Terry

The 18-200 is large on the NEX 5 but if you hold it correctly it is quite a useful lens (if you like zooms- a lot of people on this forum prefer prime lenses). I just put my 18-200 up for sale (see the buy/sell forum). I've gotten very good results with the lens. I'm only selling it because I need a whole different lineup of cameras and lenses for a safari this summer and I don't want to have too much gear.

R

robbieaguilar23

Oh thanks. Yeah, I might just go with the NEX lens.

TEBnewyork- Since you have and 18-200, how is the picture quality of it? How about the bokeh? I just want to make sure of it since I'll buy it with my own money and it's not that cheap for me. Thank you! :)

Lonnie Utah

Another reason to go with G-mount lenses is that the Optical stabilization in the NEX is in the lens and not the body. So if you go with the other lenses, you lose the OS. As mentioned, the Sony A lenses that support support AF, do autofocus as promised, but it is a VERY slow process when compared to my 18-55 lens. If you don't have any trouble with the price, go with the g-mount 18-200.

Sony has promised us more G-mount lenses this year.

LizaWitz

The 18-200 has the best optical steady shot I've ever seen. I can't comment on image quality because I don't have as discerning of an eye as others here, but I'm fine with it.

I use it as the only lens on the camera. My partner has the 18-55 and we have a 16mm as well. I don't find the faster speed of the 16mm really buys much, and the 18-55 is redundant if you have the 18-200.

A couple users experiences with the 18-200 are here:
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22333