The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

From Canon 5d > A850

barry685

Hi,
I recently purchased a a850 + Sony sal 28-75mm 2.8 and a Sony 70-200mm 2.8g lens. My business is portraits of children. While I concede that the resolution color & focus is considerably better than my 5D I am having some issues with the "Texture" of skin. I am only shooting raw and have tried various converters all with sharpening turned off. The files from the 5d have a very smoothe skin tone however from the 850 they have a rough texture. Am I doing something wrong? Is there some setting in the camera that is not right. I am shooting at ISO 200 with studio strobes.

pegelli

Have you tried lightroom with negative clarity? When used in moderation it softens skin w/o losing details.
Otherwise maybe post some examples with the settings used, this might give some ideas how to help you further.

douglasf13

Hmm, hard to say. Outside of resolution and possible lens sharpness differences, it could be due to the color filtration differences between Sony and Canon. The infamous mushy skin tones created by Canon's poor blue color separation is usually what people are trying to get away from when switching to Sony. The Sony should have more resolution in the skin. You may want to consider trading for a 5D ii if you prefer Canon's look.

barry685

Well I am very use to the Canon look. I will try negative clarity. Does the Sharpness setting in the camera have an effect on Raw?

JusLookN

I find that if I need to smooth skin a bit, I use the sharpness and luminance slider in Lightroom and work with the masking a bit. Once you have it down to your preference, you can create a preset.:)