The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Travel tripod for the NEX?

Lonnie Utah

That is pretty judgmental. Even if I agree that many people in the SW are not far from their car (been there done that) there is one detail you miss. I and many others actually had to fly to get there and the car is a rental. With the newer more stringent weight limits and checked baggage fees, it is something that is top of mind. On my last two big photo trips to Iceland and Ireland my luggage was weighed and you would be surprised at how much chargers, cables, power strips etc actually weigh and add up to in a bag.
Having just gotten back from a trip to Australia, I don't think I'm being judgemental at all. We flew Qantas which is VERY restrictive with their weight limits (7 kilo carry on bag). I carry the same tripod with me where ever I travel. The difference in a CF tripod and a AL one is about 1-1.5 pounds, and usually about 2x the cost. On my trip down under I simply had to make some choices as to what part of my kit was going with me, and what was getting left at home.

The bottom line is that the original advice for the OP to buy a tripod that is as expensive as his camera is ludacris.

ampguy

For the OP: I've used this one, picked up in Tokyo for I think around Y 5000 many years ago:

http://photo.net/equipment/tripods/cheap

I doubt it is made anymore, but maybe there is something they make that is similar. It's about 14" folded, and about 4" in diameter. Fits easily in a backpack, but would be snug for a messenger bag.

However, it's for very light duty only. I wouldn't want to use it with a heavy tele, in the wind, etc. I usually don't extend the bottom most legs for more stability, or the head column, limiting it to about 3 or 4 ft. in height at those settings.

My next tripod is some steel thing, heavy enough for MF, long lenses with DSLRs, but not travel friendly, as it's heavy.

I also have a Slik monopod, again, only good for very light stuff.