The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtlander 50 & 75 on NEX.

douglasf13

Doug,

A serious question. You've said several times you want to use one of these for street photography, and for the quiet shutter. But if you are using it on the street with all the associated and ambient noise that entails, isn't the quite shutter immaterial? It's not like the nex is overly loud.

I think I could also make the argument that the articulating EVF screen of the NEX provides equal or more stealthy street photography opportunities than a camera with an OVF? I'm thinking of waist level shooting using the EVF and similar.

While the 35mm may be a popular focal length, there are times when it's too short and times when it's too long. You have to admit that fact. Interchangeable lenses win in those situations.

So for ME, and my type of shooting (except for my wife, I rarely take photos of people), it doesn't add up. I guess my point is that if this camera was $1000 less, it might be worth consideration. Maybe I'll get one on ebay for that in a year or two...

It that floats your boat and you have the money to spend, then go for it...
Hey, no one is more of a proponent than the waist level option of the NEX than I am, although I do think the shutter is very loud. I wished it was a less robust, 1fps shutter that is quieter, myself. Sure, shooting environments are often loud enough to block out shutter sounds, but it is certainly a case by case basis.

FWIW, I didn't mean to imply that I'm a hardcore street photographer. I just carry a camera with me all day, and I think the Fuji and its hybrid VF looks fun. I actually have an old Olympus SP that is basically the film equivalent of the X100, and it would be great to have a digital version. As primarily a landscape photographer, I could see little reason for you to buy such a camera, though.

For me, the X100 would be somewhat of a luxury expense, and I think Fuji is marketing it as such. I don't think they're expecting to compete on m4/3 or NEX sales levels with the thing.

Overall, I'll probably stick to my NEX+rangefinder lenses+Clearviewer, but we'll see once I get my hands on the X100 in a store...:)

Lonnie Utah

Hey, no one is more of a proponent than the waist level option of the NEX than I am, although I do think the shutter is very loud. I wished it was a less robust, 1fps shutter that is quieter, myself. Sure, shooting environments are often loud enough to block out shutter sounds, but it is certainly a case by case basis.
I think most of the nex shutter noise is artificially generated by the camera. I need to go home and play with it tho to make sure.

douglasf13

Nope, it has a real shutter that is capable of 7fps. It isn't like P&S cameras that have a shutter sound recording. Part of the problem is that the shutter has to remain open for live view, so everytime you shoot, it closes-opens-closes-opens, as opposed to a DSLR that just opens-closes. In fact, the NEX-5 almost seems as loud as my A700 was, even though it doesn't have a mirror!

ZoranC

I firmly believe some things can not be compared apples to apples. Interchangeable lens camera vs. fixed lens one is an example of such comparison and thus one can't come up with conclusion "X is better than Y". One can only say "X is better than Y for _me_ for following ...".

When it comes to _me_ it all boils down to whether I am using 35mm focal length often enough to justify adding a $1200 "prime" and whether that "prime" will really deliver performance worth it's price tag.

Answer on second one remains to be seen yet. In the meantime I am already getting so good results through other much less expensive means (for example with my NEX5 and Nikon 24/2.8 Ai-S CRC version) that X100 would have to perform like a miracle to entice me.

douglasf13

Agreed, Zoran, and I'd be shocked if the X100 performed better than the NEX and that great Nikkor.

Still, the X100 seems more about the journey, rather than solely the outcome, and that is where the personal part comes in.

ZoranC

Agreed, Zoran, and I'd be shocked if the X100 performed better than the NEX and that great Nikkor.
I assume you have seen the sample I sent you. Not bad, huh? ;)

Still, the X100 seems more about the journey, rather than solely the outcome, and that is where the personal part comes in.
Agreed. I too am attracted to that factor of it, it is just that at certain price point people stop daydreaming.

uhoh7

nex-5 +75mm heliar:

100%

wide open iso 800:

for the money it's hard to beat the 75mm-- I paid 275 including shipping and paypal for a clean copy last week. Lens will hold it's value.

Last edited:
the fuji x100 justifies the cost of an m8. and hopefully it's success will force sony management to get the engineers to design a digital minolta cle with e-mount.

nice shot uhoh7.