The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Next Generation FF Alpha ?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It became very quiet about a next generation FF Alpha camera, although Sony is bringing lot of great new sensors - aka the one's used in the APSC cameras from Nikon and Pentax .......

Are there any hints when a A900 or A850 successor will arrive? And more importantly what will be the basic data like MP count, high ISO capabilities, DR, etc?

Thanks for feedback!

Peter

pegelli

Only some very vague hints, incl. the fact it might be 2012 but it would still be a "conventional" DSLR (no translucent mirror like the A33/55)

So I'm not unhappy with that, my A850 still rocks:toocool:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Only some very vague hints, incl. the fact it might be 2012 but it would still be a "conventional" DSLR (no translucent mirror like the A33/55)

So I'm not unhappy with that, my A850 still rocks:toocool:
While I like EVF and translucent mirror designs for consumer grade DSLRs (hopefully also smaller size then) I am not a friend of any of these technologies in a Pro grade DSLR. Where I really want to see what is to be seen and not through a sensor plus whatever display. So this would be a great thing if Sony stays with conventional design in their top level DSLRs.

jonoslack

Well Peter
They've said they're going to do it - the hints with the A77 is that it will have a translucent mirror, but also an optical viewfinder.

so, let's do some completely unfounded guessing:

1. hybrid viewfinder with translucent mirror
2. 38mp (well, that's a sized up version of the current excellent sensor)
3. expensive.

T

Tony Beach

Well Peter
They've said they're going to do it - the hints with the A77 is that it will have a translucent mirror, but also an optical viewfinder.

so, let's do some completely unfounded guessing:

1. hybrid viewfinder with translucent mirror
2. 38mp (well, that's a sized up version of the current excellent sensor)
3. expensive.
1. Might be two versions of the camera. That would be typical for Sony and a little scatterbrained. I like your idea if it could be implemented. Personally, I have little or no interest in the EVF and pellicle mirror.

2. I heard 32 MP mentioned. Again, this is typical as the 12 MP APS-C format sensor wasn't scaled up to a 27 MP 135 format sensor.

3. Define expensive?

jonoslack

1. Might be two versions of the camera. That would be typical for Sony and a little scatterbrained. I like your idea if it could be implemented. Personally, I have little or no interest in the EVF and pellicle mirror.

2. I heard 32 MP mentioned. Again, this is typical as the 12 MP APS-C format sensor wasn't scaled up to a 27 MP 135 format sensor.

3. Define expensive?

I think the pellicle mirror is really interesting - if it can mean a really quiet shutter and very fast shot to shot times . . . but not at the expense of an optical viewfinder (for me).

Sony have been scatter-camera about their entry level, but it seems to me they've been very modest with their higher range offerings (how long since the A700).

32mp sounds fab to me -

Hmm - can't define expensive, I guess it depends if they want a flagship only (in which case £3500) or if they want to get seriously into the professional market place (in which case £2500). but hey - I know nothing!