Site Sponsors

Thread: Next Generation FF Alpha ?

Post Thanks / Like

Next Generation FF Alpha ?

It became very quiet about a next generation FF Alpha camera, although Sony is bringing lot of great new sensors - aka the one's used in the APSC cameras from Nikon and Pentax .......

Are there any hints when a A900 or A850 successor will arrive? And more importantly what will be the basic data like MP count, high ISO capabilities, DR, etc?

Thanks for feedback!

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Next Generation FF Alpha ?

Only some very vague hints, incl. the fact it might be 2012 but it would still be a "conventional" DSLR (no translucent mirror like the A33/55)

So I'm not unhappy with that, my A850 still rocks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    Only some very vague hints, incl. the fact it might be 2012 but it would still be a "conventional" DSLR (no translucent mirror like the A33/55)

So I'm not unhappy with that, my A850 still rocks
    While I like EVF and translucent mirror designs for consumer grade DSLRs (hopefully also smaller size then) I am not a friend of any of these technologies in a Pro grade DSLR. Where I really want to see what is to be seen and not through a sensor plus whatever display. So this would be a great thing if Sony stays with conventional design in their top level DSLRs.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well Peter
    They've said they're going to do it - the hints with the A77 is that it will have a translucent mirror, but also an optical viewfinder.

so, let's do some completely unfounded guessing:

1. hybrid viewfinder with translucent mirror
    2. 38mp (well, that's a sized up version of the current excellent sensor)
    3. expensive.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Why, is there any news about the 5Dmk3 or 1Ds4 or D700X?
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Tony Beach

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Well Peter
    They've said they're going to do it - the hints with the A77 is that it will have a translucent mirror, but also an optical viewfinder.

so, let's do some completely unfounded guessing:

1. hybrid viewfinder with translucent mirror
    2. 38mp (well, that's a sized up version of the current excellent sensor)
    3. expensive.
    1. Might be two versions of the camera. That would be typical for Sony and a little scatterbrained. I like your idea if it could be implemented. Personally, I have little or no interest in the EVF and pellicle mirror.

2. I heard 32 MP mentioned. Again, this is typical as the 12 MP APS-C format sensor wasn't scaled up to a 27 MP 135 format sensor.

3. Define expensive?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Beach View Post
    1. Might be two versions of the camera. That would be typical for Sony and a little scatterbrained. I like your idea if it could be implemented. Personally, I have little or no interest in the EVF and pellicle mirror.

2. I heard 32 MP mentioned. Again, this is typical as the 12 MP APS-C format sensor wasn't scaled up to a 27 MP 135 format sensor.

3. Define expensive?

I think the pellicle mirror is really interesting - if it can mean a really quiet shutter and very fast shot to shot times . . . but not at the expense of an optical viewfinder (for me).

Sony have been scatter-camera about their entry level, but it seems to me they've been very modest with their higher range offerings (how long since the A700).

32mp sounds fab to me -

Hmm - can't define expensive, I guess it depends if they want a flagship only (in which case 3500) or if they want to get seriously into the professional market place (in which case 2500). but hey - I know nothing!

Just this guy you know