The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Full frame lens options?

dhsimmonds

Dave, thanks for the tip on The Tamrac Adventure 7 bag, I have ordered one.

Where do you put your laptop in it? The top compartment? (I have a 13" MBP).

Weight is the problem, my holiday flight is 5Kg carry on! - I'll be taking my photo jacket to carry heavy bits if necessary too.

I note that the depth (23cm) is about 3 cm over the limit as well , but I hope I can squeeze it up a bit to fit the 40cm x 20 cm x 55 cm limit.
There is a padded and zipped "slot"between the camera section and the harness side of the bag purposely designed for a laptop. Many of the Tamrac range have this. I also have the largest Tamrac Expedition bag that is International Airline legal which has a similar zipped slot designed for laptops. The Expedition bag has better rain protection including an optional fully enveloping rain cover. I only ever use this when I visit rain forest areas though! The laptop is quite safe from knocks and weather in either bag...but it does push up the overall weight!

Braeside

There is a padded and zipped "slot"between the camera section and the harness side of the bag purposely designed for a laptop. Many of the Tamrac range have this. I also have the largest Tamrac Expedition bag that is International Airline legal which has a similar zipped slot designed for laptops. The Expedition bag has better rain protection including an optional fully enveloping rain cover. I only ever use this when I visit rain forest areas though! The laptop is quite safe from knocks and weather in either bag...but it does push up the overall weight!
Thanks Dave, that sounds ideal. I should have the Tamrac bag tomorrow. I had a similar but larger Crumpler bag that I used (once), it was rather heavy because of huge amount of padding on the back. Since then I have never had a flight that would allow it as carry on because of the dimensions.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
@ Braeside: what is that el cheapo (but apparently great) 85/2.8 like wide open? I have an excellent copy of the 100/2 that is simply excellent wide open so have not been drawn to the 85/1.4. Very interested in your answer, TIA, kl

pegelli

Kit, the 85/2.8 wide open is excellent. Both bokeh and sharpness do not show el cheapo at all.
I could test one at a Dyxum get together last year:

All 3 at f2.8 on my A850

And here's a 100% crop of the last one:

And here's a link to a test on photozone.de.

Btw Kit, happy birthday today, were you thinking about a birthday present when you posted the question?

Last edited:

pegelli

I have never noticed the distortion at the wide end but I would use the 16-35 Zeiss for architectural shots where this might have been a problem.
Sorry gentlemen, I have to eat my words and you're absolutely right.
I went back to my Lightroom library and indeed the 24-105 at 24 mm has some barrel distortion (not even a great lot) but when you try to correct it with the "manual" lens correction options it becomes a moustache, as the curvature of the barrel is a bit different from the standard barrel that lightroom assumes. So my statement on the lens having moustache distortion was wrong.

However I also found that if you use the Canon 24-105L profile and then on top dial in somewhere around +5 manual distortion correction it comes out near perfect.

I know I really should go out and produce my own profile, but you know there's so many other fun things to do that I haven't done it yet. If someone knows one I'd be grateful for a reference.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the BD wishes, pegelli, and I agree: from what I see here, this is an outstanding little lens.

Re. birthday prezzies (as we say here): got myself a Zeiss ZA 135/1.8....

Thanks sincerely for the reply!

KL

Braeside

Dave, the Adventure 7 just arrived and no padded slot for laptop on this one.:confused:

Are you sure it was 7 you that have?

dhsimmonds

Dave, the Adventure 7 just arrived and no padded slot for laptop on this one.:confused:

Are you sure it was 7 you that have?
David, we have corresponded privately on this post and for the sake of any others who either followed, or are about purchase, I regret to say that I made a mistake as it is of course the Adventure 9 which has the Zipped section for a laptop. My only excuse is that I bought it about 4 years ago and as there is no label on the product other than the Tamrac label, I guessed the model number and got it wrong. :deadhorse:

Apologies to David and anyone else that I misled. It is still an excellent bag and whilst measuring it for David, I realised that It's still got another four and probably many more years service to give.:thumbs:

Braeside

Dave, absolutely no problem. I composed a long PM reply to you explaining what I was going to do instead and why, but left the message half finished while I had my tea and it appears to have timed out and it has now vanished into a blackhole.

So once again, thanks for explaining all the details and getting back to me so promptly.

Best wishes