The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony NEX FS100

hot

NEX FS100 $4.500

removable display lens

Last edited by a moderator:

hot

Re: Sony NEX FS10

some prices

$ 4500
$ 5850
$ 6550

hmmm ... depends from model with/without lens .. $ 4500 seems wrong :-|

Now SONY TX100 is available .. $399 ... takes FullHD/60p videos also with 28 Mbps :)))

douglasf13

Aye, this seems to be the main disadvantage of such a short registration distance on a video mount. They should've at least included a digital ND variant.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

You seem to find this funny. How often do you shoot video in brighter light? ND filters are essential.
... and the Panasonic AG-AF100 has it built in. It does look like a strange omission from Sony's side. Maybe they were desperate to hit a price point, and have shaved off everything they thought weren't necessary.

ustein

Contributing Editor

>hey should've at least included a digital ND variant.

Does this exist?

>Maybe they were desperate to hit a price point, and have shaved off everything they thought weren't necessary.

I think it has more to do with the form factor and also the E-Mount is larger in size. For indoors and low light NDs don't matter though. The try to compete with the HDSLRs (e.g. 5DII).

hot

You seem to find this funny. How often do you shoot video in brighter light? ND filters are essential.
Oooouuuuhhh sorry ... photographing 10.000s of pictures, making 1000s videos within 30 years I NEVER needed ND filters.
MUST I have them, no one of them less then $ 111?

Yes, some people believe: there is no life without such things ...

ustein

Contributing Editor

>Yes, some people believe: there is no life without such things ...

Yes, so much that most pro cameras have them builtin.

douglasf13

ustein, from what I understand, there has been some kind of digital ND option on other cams, but it certainly isn't a good as a real ND.

hot, for a camera in this range, leaving off ND filters is very strange. Now people are gonna have to load up matte boxes, which isn't ideal. For semi/professional video makers shooting at wide apertures, ND is a necessity. How many professional movies have you made in bright sunlight at f2 without an ND filter?

ustein

Contributing Editor

>there has been some kind of digital ND option on other cams, but it certainly isn't a good as a real ND.

If they would find a solution with good quality this would work with all HDSLRs. An optical ND is hard to create in these small bodies (maybe slide in solutions).

peterv

Regarding ND filtering: Isn't there a filterthread or a way to put a compendium in front of the lens?

ustein

Contributing Editor

>Isn't there a filterthread or a way to put a compendium in front of the lens?

Of course.

1. Compendium makes camer bulky (e.g. for nature documentaries)
2. Screwing in filters is no fun either (changing lenses of filter strength)

All slow and tedious for certain styles of filming. I have the AF100 and find it a key feature.

peterv

I know, I know. My question was more like a statement. You guys make it sound this camera is supposed to be professional tool that is seriously flawed... What did you expect for this kind of money?
Which 'pro' is going to shoot / follow focus @ f2.0 with a sensor this big, with lenses of E-mount quality as mentioned above? (adapted HQ lenses? Might just as well hang them in front of a pro camera) Productions that have the ambition to make pro-looking video aren't going to buy this nice little enthusiast camera. Professional videos are made in a slow and tedious manner.

Some of the remarks above sound a bit snobbish to me. Just my 2 cents, no offence intended, just trying to put this in perspective, of course you guys have a point, an ND-option would have been nice. So is an Alexa :)

ustein

Contributing Editor

>Productions that have the ambition to make pro-looking video aren't going to buy this nice little enthusiast camera. Professional videos are made in a slow and tedious manner.

But those productions use Canon 5DII cameras (e.g. Dr. House).

>with lenses of E-mount quality as mentioned above?

No problem, there are many adapters available.

Last edited: