Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: FF 35mm options

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    63
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    27

    FF 35mm options

    Hey All,

    Based on the recommendations of some members and a review of the images I took from a recent trip (I'll post some once I'm done processing) I'm in the market for a 35mm prime. My immediate reaction was to get my hands on a Zeiss 35/2; but Edward has shown the 35/1.4 G to be a very good performer, the minolta 35/2 also has a stellar reputation, then there is the voigtlander 40/2 that could be considered.

    So I'm curious if there are other options. The requirements are that it be ~35mm, F2 or faster, be sharp and contrasty (center at all apertures, corner to corner by F5.6), have smooth out of focus transitions, reasonable close focus, and well controlled field curvature. I'm fine with manually stopping down the lens and manual focus (obviously as I'm considering the Zeiss).

    Thanks for all/any feedback and suggestions.
    Last edited by Simon M.; 24th March 2011 at 14:29. Reason: grammar

  2. #2
    Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,803
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FF 35mm options

    The new Zeiss 35 1.4 looks to be a stellar choice...see Diglloyd blog for a teaser...you will have to subscribe to see the full story but it may be worth the investment for you. (Was for me.)

    http://www.diglloyd.com/index.html

    Bob

  3. #3
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FF 35mm options

    leica 35 'lux or 'cron with leitax.

  4. #4
    jcoffin
    Guest

    Re: FF 35mm options

    Let me put in a vote for the Minolta/Sony 35/1.4. One thing that may not be obvious (especially from the focal length) is that it's really a portrait lens:



    It also pairs really nicely with the 85/1.4G (the Minolta, not the newer Zeiss), so pictures taken with the two have extremely similar characters. Here's a comparison shot with the 85/1.4:



    Please forgive the mediocre pictures -- I was looking for something with some skin tones *and* fine detail that I'd shot at f/1.4 to give an idea of the lens, not something that was necessarily a great shot otherwise.

    (Both taken at ISO 320, f/1.4 -- on an A700, but the look doesn't change dramatically on an A850/900).

    I'd note for the record that while the 35/2 Minolta does enjoy a good reputation, it's mostly really good on APS-C -- on full frame, I think the 1.4 does better.
    Last edited by jcoffin; 24th March 2011 at 20:39. Reason: More accurate wording.

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FF 35mm options

    As Jim mentioned, with a mount change courtesy of www.leitax.com your options really increase. You can consider anything from older Nikkors 35/1.4 for a few hundred, the Contax Zeiss 35/1.4 Distagon and as mentioned the Leica R glass. I used the Contax on an A900 for a year and while I really found it a nice match, I was lured to sell a number of lenses to afford another. Doing a search on Flickr for any of these lenses will bring up a lot of good evidence to support each argument.

    K.

  6. #6
    Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: FF 35mm options

    Quote Originally Posted by thePiRaTE!! View Post
    As Jim mentioned, with a mount change courtesy of www.leitax.com your options really increase. You can consider anything from older Nikkors 35/1.4 for a few hundred, the Contax Zeiss 35/1.4 Distagon and as mentioned the Leica R glass. I used the Contax on an A900 for a year and while I really found it a nice match, I was lured to sell a number of lenses to afford another. Doing a search on Flickr for any of these lenses will bring up a lot of good evidence to support each argument.

    K.
    The Contax Zeiss 35/1.4 Distagon is magic (as is the Summilux-R 35/1.4). I'm using my 35/1.4 Distagon on a Canon 1Ds2 and it's perhaps my favorite lens of all time. I'm sorely tempted to switch to the Sony A900 + Leitax option (which would allow me to use all my Contax C/Y and Leica R lenses) but I'm holding out for more information on the A900 replacement. The 35/1.4 Distagon is priced between the Nikkors and the Summilux-R and represents (IMO) the best value for money.

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: FF 35mm options

    Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    The new Zeiss 35 1.4 looks to be a stellar choice...see Diglloyd blog for a teaser...you will have to subscribe to see the full story but it may be worth the investment for you. (Was for me.)

    http://www.diglloyd.com/index.html

    Bob
    Please sum it up Bob. Turns out I have a subscription, but not to that specific section. Next we'll have to separately subscribe to each word Lloyd writes ...

    -Marc

  8. #8
    Senior Member edwardkaraa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FF 35mm options

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Please sum it up Bob. Turns out I have a subscription, but not to that specific section. Next we'll have to separately subscribe to each word Lloyd writes ...

    -Marc
    Here's a long thread about the ZE 35/1.4 but worth reading imho.

    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/987333
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

  9. #9
    Senior Member edwardkaraa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FF 35mm options

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon M. View Post
    Hey All,

    Based on the recommendations of some members and a review of the images I took from a recent trip (I'll post some once I'm done processing) I'm in the market for a 35mm prime. My immediate reaction was to get my hands on a Zeiss 35/2; but Edward has shown the 35/1.4 G to be a very good performer, the minolta 35/2 also has a stellar reputation, then there is the voigtlander 40/2 that could be considered.
    Hi Simon,

    I sold my ZS 35/2 a couple of weeks ago. The 35G is that good. It is not without problems though, so don't buy it on my recommendation only

    Recent shots at f/2 and f/4:

    Attachment 42090

    Attachment 42091
    Last edited by edwardkaraa; 9th October 2012 at 04:44.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

  10. #10
    Senior Member pegelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,128
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FF 35mm options

    I'm also becoming more of a prime shooter, wouldn't want to sell my zooms but there's more and more days I just go out with 2 or 3 primes.
    I've got mainly old Minoltas (24/2.8, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, 100/2.8 macro and 200/2.8) and recently added a 2nd hand CZ135/1.8.
    In contemplating the 35 mm question I will probably start looking for an old Minolta 35/2.0, but that's because it fits very well with the rest of my line-up, but they're very rare and don't come up for sale often.
    So in the meantime I make do with an old Helios 35/2.8 M42 with a chipped adapter, which considering the price I paid for it (~ 10 €) is not bad at all:







    Extreme corners are a bit mushy, but that's my only complaint sofar.

  11. #11
    Senior Member douglasf13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    Posts
    1,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: FF 35mm options

    If you can stretch it to f2.4, the Carl Zeiss Jena 35mm f2.4 is another great lens to consider that is very affordable. It has a nice minimum focus distance and is m42 mount.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    132
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FF 35mm options

    Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    Hi Simon,

    I sold my ZS 35/2 a couple of weeks ago. The 35G is that good. It is not without problems though, so don't buy it on my recommendation only

    Recent shots at f/2 and f/4:

    Attachment 42090

    Attachment 42091
    Edward, Could you share with us some of your impressions about the Sony 35G. I'm looking for a 35 and am considering the SA35G or should i wait for the ZA 35.
    Thanks, Jerry

  13. #13
    Senior Member edwardkaraa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FF 35mm options

    Quote Originally Posted by LoSenior View Post
    Edward, Could you share with us some of your impressions about the Sony 35G. I'm looking for a 35 and am considering the SA35G or should i wait for the ZA 35.
    Thanks, Jerry
    Hi Jerry,

    Well, we have no information about an upcoming ZA 35, so I'm afraid there is a chance you may have to wait indefinitely

    The 35G is a very fine lens, but as I mentioned, it is not without problems.

    The most obvious problem is that it is prone to CA in high contrast situations especially backlighting. It also has field curvature that affects zone B, but this is only visible at real infinity, and somewhat medium to large apertures. From f/5.6 it is barely noticeable at infinity and completely gone for distant subjects that are not strictly at infinity, say from 50m down. There is some veiling haze wide open but much less than equivalent lenses. Micro-contrast is visibly lower than the Zeiss 35/2 that I compared it to, but this is not exactly a problem because the resolution is very high indeed.

    These were the problems, but now to the qualities.

    The 35G has a beautiful drawing style. The micro-contrast is not high as mentioned, which makes it suitable for portraits. The bokeh is very very nice, both in the foreground and background. It is very sharp even wide open as long as the focusing is correct. It even has the sharpest corners of any wide angle I have ever used. For landscapes it has to be stopped down to f/5.6 to f/8 but the results are excellent. I also have noticed a pronounced 3D rendering in many of the photos. Sizewise it is very compact (55mm filter size)and reasonably light (it is much heavier than it looks though, thanks to an all metal construction).

    So basically I'm very happy with this lens, because it does it all. It is as good for portraits at close distance and wide apertures, as it is for landscapes stopped down.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    132
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FF 35mm options

    Hi Edward,

    Thanks for the detailed information. I find your views and experiences very helpful.
    I agree that the ZA35 is in the future and 35G is here now. No real need to wait.

    Thanks, Jerry

  15. #15
    Senior Member edwardkaraa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FF 35mm options

    Hi Jerry,

    Thanks for your kind words.

    Despite my enthusiasm for this lens, I would still recommend that you try it at a Sony showroom before you committ, as there seem to be a whole lot of people who don't like it, even though I suspect the main reason being the price more than anything else.

    There are some good reviews on Dyxum though.

    Cheers,
    Edward
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •