The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My new NEX-5 EVF...

ustein

Contributing Editor
I currently review the clearviewer but your design removes some limitations. Great.

What Superglue did you use (or as I guess Superglue is a brand)?

Last edited:

douglasf13

I used Loctite Super Glue Control Liquid, and it seems to be holding rock solid.

This morning I dressed it up a bit with some Hasselblad camera leather :)

oris98

Hi Douglas,
When you use the Clearviewer, do you also use the magnify button for focusing ? I find it when I look through the clearviewer, it just magnified the pixel of the LCD screen but focusing still do better with the 7x magnification. Having my thumb has to move back and forth from the lower button is a pain.. I am not sure if the firmware 3 can let me assign the MF magnifying button to the top button in stead ? It does make it easier to aim my target at the eye level though..

Thanks.

douglasf13

I usually don't need to use the magnification button when I use the Clearviewer. Of course, nothing is as accurate as the magnification view, but sometimes time is of the essence, and the Clearviewer is better for speed.

I also wish the top, soft button "A" could be assigned to magnified view.

p.s. one thing great about the NEX LCD is that you can see aliasing in the focus plane when you're focusing, so look for the shiny/flickering parts to move to your subject, and it'll help focusing without magnification.

thomasl.se

Got a "premium" clearviewer today. Good stuff and it's gonna get a lot of use, with or without shade thing.

Asked them (him) a couple of questions and hours later received a long multi-paragraph well written informative reply; yet it's obviously not just some stock email. Really pleased customer, no affiliation.

douglasf13

Yeah, I've been very impressed with Gary at Clearviewer. Great customer service, and I hope he benefits from my little invention.*

*I also have no affiliation

Jim DE

Doug, I just ordered everything last night and today including the leatherette. I'll let you know how it goes when I get all the components in and put together.

Thanks Doug for sharing and yes I agree:Gary is great to do business with!

douglasf13

To further improve my "nexviewer" design, I built out the sides of the lcd hood by cutting up a business card and using black electrical tape. The side flaps are still thin enough to collapse down like normal, and these side add-ons block out side light even better than before. Sorry about the blurry cell phone pic:

At this point, I could probably come up with something to cover the hood opening at the bottom, but it really doesn't seem necessary.

oris98

Hi Doug, would you please snap a few more pictures to show your new side light blocking improvement ? If you can show your construction steps will be even better.. Thanks in advance !

douglasf13

Hi. I may be able to snap a couple of shots later, but, really, all that I did was cut a business card into two smaller squares, rounded one of the edges off of each with scissors, covered the business cards in black tape, and then taped them to the outside of side wings on the lcd hood. Only took a few minutes.