The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX-3 with Canon newFD 85mm f1.2

Amatieris

I shot them in JPEG and added some sharpening and contrast where needed (in canon DPP). I need to find a good RAW converter, as my current output from RAW is not good.

AGeoJO

It looks like there is a combination of OOF and camera movement plus some model movement as well in No. 2. I hope you don't mind my telling you that.

As far as RAW converter concerned, I would suggest you check Adobe Lightroom out. It is more than just a RAW converter but you can also do file management with it as well. You view your files with all the necessary processing steps without actually converting the files to JPG or TIF to maximize the storage space. Only when you want to print/post images on the web, you convert only those files. Hope this helps.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Ya know, I have a few FD lenses from the 70's. I never liked Canon or Nikon cause I used Leica M's. I had a few Canon and Nikons because they did longer lenses better. I havent used this stuff in over 30 years.
Anyway, with the Nex 5.... I just love the FD lenses. My favorite is the 24mm 2.8. That lens just rocks on the street.....

I like what ya did with the portraits.... you captured her innocence well....

Traut

Absolutely stunning photos. The models (2 and 4 legged) are gorgeous as well.

Now my problem. I have a Nikon 85mm 1.4 (AF and the AIS). Do I need to invest in the Canon or will the Nikkor 85 1.4 do the job?

Thanks

Amatieris

Thank you for the comments! I am used to canon`s DPP which was free and did the job well enough. I am reluctant to spend money on software now, but will have to one day, I guess.
While Leica glass is great (so is Zeiss that I have a few copies of) I love Canon ultra fast ones like FD 85l and 50l for their incredible value. In fact, in my recent amateur test 50L did better than the new zeiss 50/1.4. (I tested only the center and up to f4).
Quite a few people think highly of the canon 24/2 and of course the 24/1.4. I have not looked at 24/2.8 yet - post us some pictures! :) I find the 24/1.4 a tad too soft wide open, but it is quite nice.

Amatieris

Traut, I think Nikon is a very good choice. On the other hand it may be wort selling it and buying the cheaper Canon FD - you get better manual focus, faster lens and extra cash - if canon fd is cheaper than the modern nikon 85, must be.

D

dnhkng

This seems like a cool thread to join :)

Here are two shot I took on the weekend; one was with the original FD 85/1.2, and the other was with the Contax G 90/2.8

It's really unscientific, I wasn't even standing in the exact same place, but maybe they give you a general feel for each of these quite good lenses. Both shot are taken wide open, and are straight-from-the-camera.

Amatieris

I presume the top one is contax 90G? thanks for adding the pics, I like to see them compared - I do not think anyone has posted such comparison as of yet!