The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How well is the Kipon tilt adapter or similar on NEX?

AGeoJO

The idea of being able to create some tilting capability using an adapter on your existing lenses is intriguing. I believe it is only available from Kipon but maybe there is another manufacturer out there. I would like to get some input from folks that have used this adapter or similar. How well is the adapter built and how easy is the operation? Just FYI, I do have TS-E lenses for my Canon DSLR system and as such I am familiar the shift fuction, with other words. I am interested more in the build quality and ease of operation. Any input to those aspects are appreciated.

Thanks,
Joshua

AGeoJO

Because you cannot stop the aperture of any EOS lenses down.... :(. It is electronically controlled by the camera body.

Isn't the NEX electronic as well? If so it's probably only a matter of time. I suppose the Mirex ought to work fine if you get the Alpha->NEX adapter.

Diane B

No EF lenses have aperture rings. I have TS-E 45/2.8 and use with MFT and EOS adapter but the electronic aperture makes it a pain though I do shoot some with it by setting aperture on EOS body, holding preview button and then dismounting and using it at that aperture. Sort of defeats the purpose though LOL. The Lensbaby tilt adapter is available for NEX as well as MFT. Works pretty well but for Nikon mounts. I bought used F mounts and shoot with a 24 and 35.

Diane

AGeoJO

Dave, I know Conurus (Bo-Ming) is in Canada is working on an adapter that will allow manual aperture setting of Canon EF lenses but it is not readily available yet.

Ken, thanks for the link and Diane, thanks for the tip. So far, I thought Kipon is the only manufacturer that makes tilt adapters. It seems that it has not been used a lot. Probably, I just need to bite the bullet and get it. I happen to own a few manual focus Nikon AI-S lenses and a Zeiss ZF lens from my "flirting" with Nikon days :D. Now, I can put a few lighter/compact ones to work on the NEX.

T

tigertimb

I have the Kipon tilt adaptor for use with the Contax C/Y lenses on the NEX

The build quality is good, and at a guess I can tilt the plane of focus somewhere roughly about 75degrees at maximum.

The negatives come from the ball and socket design, which makes controlling the effect tricky. For instance just tilting horizontally without a vertical component, and in particular perfectly centering the lens so it has no tilt (I bought a plain C/Y adaptor as well because of that)

At about £60 more than the standard adaptor, this seemed a small price to pay to then have a whole handful of tilt lenses including wide angles, macros and fast primes (even though I confess that I'm mostly having fun with it)