Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sony A850 discontinued...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Sony A850 discontinued...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sony A850 discontinued...

This model has been discontinued for almost a year. It kept on selling until stocks are exhausted. It hasn't been available in this part of the world for quite a while now. Next question: when will be the turn of the A900?
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Post Thanks / Like

.....Now, if only it gets replaced by a full frame NEX,.....PLEASE Mr SONY!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A full frame SLT with a pro-class body, 25-ish megapixels and great low-light would be a great replacement.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

No wonder the prices have held up in the used market.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    A full frame SLT with a pro-class body, 25-ish megapixels and great low-light would be a great replacement.
    It's going to be more like 35mp. The problem is that all manufacturers are racing to give us stuff we don't really need. I'm very happy with the A900 and can keep on using it for years. I really would like them to concentrate on stuff like sensor image quality, decreasing sample variations, dealing with front/back focusing whether caused by body, lens, or both, larger AF sensor area that corresponds better to the rule of thirds.

I do not need iso higher than 6400, huge mp counts, video, live view, gps, alarm clock, Internet browser, espresso machine... Etc. If they could concentrate on the above mentioned issues instead, areas where I feel important improvements can be done, I would be more than happy.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that's a funny thing Edward: I did a model shoot for a brochure on the weekend and, somehow, the images were fantastic!

And I agree with all of your points, too, and 6400 ISO (like the D700) would be great. I love the fact that the A850 is a simple camera rather than a computer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    The problem is that all manufacturers are racing to give us stuff we don't really need. I'm very happy with the A900 and can keep on using it for years.
    Which is exactly how I feel and is the reason why I took the bold step of getting another A900, tucked safely away, just in case something dramatic happens to my first one

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The A900 does work terribly well - mine's been sleeping recently whilst I've been play ing with new toys. I must wake it up and give it a shake!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you want one in the UK then Warehouseexpress still have them in stock.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I guess one good thing about a FF SLT...it should have an on-board flash.

I know I'm the exception to the rule, but I like having that capability.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like mine a lot but may have to sell it for other purchases so does this mean more value. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono

So should I sell my 5D and lenses and buy an 850 before they are all gone (I have a Minolta 50mm f1,4 MD !)

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    The A900 does work terribly well - mine's been sleeping recently whilst I've been play ing with new toys. I must wake it up and give it a shake!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mine will most likely be up for sale. Let me know
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great camera - love it. If the A900 is replaced with an EVF I suspect the OVF cameras will creep up in value, since then the only alternatives to a used 900/850 will be the D3X or 5D2. And those are of no use if you have a cabinet full of Sony/Minolta glass...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by davemillier View Post
    Hi Jono

So should I sell my 5D and lenses and buy an 850 before they are all gone (I have a Minolta 50mm f1,4 MD !)
    almost certainly (I would) . . . . but don't blame me if you don't like it!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    Great camera - love it. If the A900 is replaced with an EVF I suspect the OVF cameras will creep up in value, since then the only alternatives to a used 900/850 will be the D3X or 5D2. And those are of no use if you have a cabinet full of Sony/Minolta glass...
    I honestly don't like the alternatives in any flavor.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone here is making the assumption that the EVF will be terrible. This is not something we know at all. If the specs on the A77 are correct, the EVF will be like no EVF we've ever seen. Just for perspective, the 3mp viewfinder of the A77 will have more resolution than the HD tv in your living room. I'm sure that the next FF offering even with evf will be something close to "real life" resolution....
    SONY A900
    Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
    My Site|Facebook Fanpage|

Post Thanks / Like

The voice of reason :-)

jcoffin

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Utah View Post
    Everyone here is making the assumption that the EVF will be terrible. This is not something we know at all. If the specs on the A77 are correct, the EVF will be like no EVF we've ever seen. Just for perspective, the 3mp viewfinder of the A77 will have more resolution than the HD tv in your living room. I'm sure that the next FF offering even with evf will be something close to "real life" resolution....
    I think there are two points to keep in mind. First of all, there's an immense gap between "terrible", and "as good as the A900 viewfinder".

Second, it's not entirely about spatial resolution. There are also issues like response speed, color accuracy, etc.

That's not to say that I think it's impossible for an EVF to ever match an OVF -- but it is to say that 3MP alone doesn't guarantee that it'll be an improvement (or even anywhere close to as good). It might well be -- Sony certainly did a fine job in designing the 900 -- but it's not anywhere close to guaranteed (their current EVF cameras hardly seem like they even came from the same planet as the 900, not to mention the same company).
    Last edited by jcoffin; 27th May 2011 at 06:39.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono

Dave, FWIW, Minolta MD lenses won't mount on Sony Alpha without a special conversion of some kind (or an adapter with glass in it.) Only Minolta Maxxum AF lenses mount on the system natively.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am hoping that there is one more OVF pro camera coming before the jump to EVF.

Canon would always introduce improvements in the consumer cameras first (Anyone remember the T-50, T-70, T-80 and T-90? All development predecessors to the EOS line of cameras and not all successful cameras, but the T-90 was fantastic, and a great workhorse camera for me, along with my older New F-1's), and after working out the details, would introduce them in the pro cameras (EOS-1 built on the success of the T-90). I seriously hope that Sony takes this approach with the a900/a850 replacement camera. Unfortunately, I have a feeling they will jump in with EVF before it's ready for prime-pro-time.

I switched from Canon (after having used Canon for close to 30 years!) because the OVF of the a900 was superior to any camera that Canon currently had, or has had as an offering for over a dozen years. What a refreshing camera to use (a900).

If Sony doesn't realize that many pros consider that to be one of the greatest differentiators of that camera, they may lose all the converts back to other systems by proving that the Sony solutions in the a900/a850 was a flash in the pan rather than the first in a line of consistent quality pro level products that builds on previous models. I believe that is fundamental to the success of a pro camera line from Canon or Nikon, (and previously Pentax and Minolta).

---Michael
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    I think there are two points to keep in mind. First of all, there's an immense gap between "terrible", and "as good as the A900 viewfinder".

Second, it's not entirely about spatial resolution. There are also issues like response speed, color accuracy, etc.

That's not to say that I think it's impossible for an EVF to ever match an OVF -- but it is to say that 3MP alone doesn't guarantee that it'll be an improvement (or even anywhere close to as good). It might well be -- Sony certainly did a fine job in designing the 900 -- but it's not anywhere close to guaranteed (their current EVF cameras hardly seem like they even came from the same planet as the 900, not to mention the same company).
    Without looking thru the viewfinder of the next offering you just can't say that. You can speculate, but it's just speculation. None of us have any idea what the technology will be able to do. And, the simple fact of the matter is that an EVF can do so many more thing than an OVF that there are some distinct advantages there as well.

Too many people are willing to say "No ovf, I'm done" without giving the technology a chance. Personally, I'm optimistic.

Of course, I have a a900 so I can hedge my bets....
    SONY A900

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Dave, FWIW, Minolta MD lenses won't mount on Sony Alpha without a special conversion of some kind (or an adapter with glass in it.) Only Minolta Maxxum AF lenses mount on the system natively.
    It's funny sometimes, some Nikon lenses work better on Canon bodies than they do on Nikon bodies, some Minolta lenses work better on m4/3 than they do on Sony bodies....

Post Thanks / Like

And, the simple fact of the matter is that an EVF can do so many more thing than an OVF that there are some distinct advantages there as well.
    Can you clarify this a bit Lonnie. I've used the A55 alongside my A900 for an afternoon and I must say I was not impressed.

1. Colors, brightness of the EVF not true to reality
    2. Disturbing lot of "idiot-lights"
    3. Most importantly, just moving the camera left-right up-down gently when framing would result in double blurry view until the camera came to rest again.

I am not against EVF per se, but its present incarnation has little that I like. Looking through the A900 VF is a pure joy and stimulates me wanting to take a certain view and concentrate on looking carefully at details, with the A55 it was just the other way round I wanted to get it over as quickly as possible. But maybe I did not have enough time to benefit from some of the positive things. One thing for which it might be interesting, but I did not need it on my test-afternoon, is very critical focusing?

Cheers, Bob.

Post Thanks / Like

Picman,

While I haven't held the a77 or looked through the viewfinder, I know (or at least it's rumored) that the resolution of the EFV is 3 times that of the a55. So right there is a significant difference between the cameras.

While it sound's like you might not like them, things like an artificial horizon, real live view (based on camera settings), and as you mention, critical focusing are things that no OVF can do.

As primarily a landscape shooter, a artificial horizon is something that I'm really looking forward to.

The "live view" of a EVF is of real benefit when working in low light situations.

As far as colors, brightness and "reality" with the amount of post processing that goes on these days, what's "reality" anyway? However, this is an entirely different topic....
    SONY A900

Post Thanks / Like

Picman,

While I haven't held the a77 or looked through the viewfinder, I know (or at least it's rumored) that the resolution of the EFV is 3 times that of the a55. So right there is a significant difference between the cameras.

While it sound's like you might not like them, things like an artificial horizon, real live view (based on camera settings), and as you mention, critical focusing are things that no OVF can do.
    That sounds pretty good, I'm looking forward to trying it out. Now if only they could make it another 3 times better for a possible A99

I'm pretty good at keeping my camera horizontal and with most raw converters there is an easy way to straighten horizons without loosing anything significant (if it is just a small amount). But critical focusing, certainly of people, that is something that really interests me.

Cheers, Bob.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

As far as critical focusing is concerned with OVFs, I've tried Nikon, Canon and Sony with adapted lenses, and Sony had the best out-of-the box viewfinder by FAR. I can actually manually focus with the stock focusing screen. The others were dismal failures...

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    As far as critical focusing is concerned with OVFs, I've tried Nikon, Canon and Sony with adapted lenses, and Sony had the best out-of-the box viewfinder by FAR. I can actually manually focus with the stock focusing screen. The others were dismal failures...
    The Type M screen is even better. Love it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My whole Sony system maybe up for sale come this week. If your thinking about buying 850 , 24-70, 200 High Speed 2.8 Minolta that is killer good. Flash and acessories. Keep you posted but eventually I have no oPtions but to sell it. New back is coming sometime but this does pain me as I think the best user cam out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Which do you prefer and why? A900 versus A850

Also I am considering the evf new camera. For how I like to use the Sony system I feel it may have an advantage for my work. I am a multi-hybrid user so the new technology I do welcome. If I was only using Sony system I would prefer the ovf camera.

Spyder

Yeesss!! I'd just add an articulated LCD with LV and MF zoom.

Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    My whole Sony system maybe up for sale come this week. If your thinking about buying 850 , 24-70, 200 High Speed 2.8 Minolta that is killer good. Flash and acessories. Keep you posted but eventually I have no oPtions but to sell it. New back is coming sometime but this does pain me as I think the best user cam out there.
    Guy, just curious - are you leaving Sony altoghether?

Regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Buying a Phase IQ 160 back so it's a money thing, my delta to upgrade is very high. I really like the Sony's a lot . Thinking for the occasional use maybe a 580. The Phase gear has to play a bigger role in my PR work type stuff but I do have the occasional need for just grip and grin stuff. My problem is i can't have both right now. The good news is i can do almost anything with my Phase gear and sensor plus in this area but sometimes it is just too massive and slow. My other issue is I NEED optical finders. The EVF stuff just does not work well for me. I'm in a catch 22 here. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now in all truth i personally think Sony in overall look of files is above the rest. I really like the Zeiss glass on it and love the rendering of the files . It's not crunchy like some others. The one big issue i see is sony getting away from optical finders and this will take out a lot of Pro shooters IMHO. The 850 to me represents the best ergo SHOOTERS cam out there. Very simple and logical layout that fits a shooters mind without a lot of BS going on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    My other issue is I NEED optical finders.
    We NEED air, water, food and sleep. Everything else is just luxury.
    SONY A900

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's funny sometimes, some Nikon lenses work better on Canon bodies than they do on Nikon bodies, some Minolta lenses work better on m4/3 than they do on Sony bodies....
    Well, they do work on Sony NEX bodies, so maybe you should go for an A850 + NEX-5 combo. That's what I did for a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MP7 View Post
    Which do you prefer and why? A900 versus A850...
    The only differences in the bodies is the A850 has less fps, a slightly less accurate VF, and a slightly different body finish. There may be a slight differences in the sensor/processing, but I've not seen conclusive info on that.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The only differences in the bodies is the A850 has less fps, a slightly less accurate VF, and a slightly different body finish. There may be a slight differences in the sensor/processing, but I've not seen conclusive info on that.
    . . . and the A900 has more weatherseals?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hope so. I took mine unprotected under Niagara falls (literally) and it never stopped working.

Mine is still going stong. What is next for Sony? Is there an A900/850 replacement on the horizon(not that I see much rooom for improvement).

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I hope Sony is not giving up the OVF.
    Even though I havent used much the A900 I admit that of all DSLRs (besides MF) its the one which delievers the best IQ for my taste.
    I am still considering selling all my Nikon stuff and get some more lenses for the A900 (which I bought with a 24-70 used some time ago).
    I prefer the handling of the Nikon and all those lens options. But pure IQ of the A900 and also the Zeiss 2470 is really strong .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't believe so, Jono. At least I've never seen it substantiated.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't believe so, Jono. At least I've never seen it substantiated.
    I have - on several occasions - just try doing a 'side by side' at dpreview, under environmentally sealed, 850 is NO 900 is Yes (water and dust resistant).

Of course, they have been known to get it wrong, but not usually on stuff like this.

Like Quentin, mine's been in terrible conditions and always come up trumps.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
    Yeesss!! I'd just add an articulated LCD with LV and MF zoom.

Articulated LCD = No Weather Seals. Fixed display for me, thanks.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Articulated LCD = No Weather Seals. Fixed display for me, thanks.
    No it doesn't - look at the Olympus E3 and E5 - weather-sealed and with articulated LCD - maybe there are others, but those certainly are (and I've proved it in heavy rain with the E3).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

From Guy:
    Now in all truth i personally think Sony in overall look of files is above the rest.
    After running the A850 alongside the D700 bodies and the D3s, and comparing files, that is the view I came to, as well. Dare I say it: more 'film like'—not in a tone curve kind of way, but in a 'I am looking at an image I really find appealing' kind of way. Shooting the same subjects in the studio with both cameras at the same time lets you say this kind of thing, I think.

Now, could I tell images apart, if different subjects were shot with different bodies, and I didn't do the shooting? No, I don't think so, because pixel peeping is not how I see images (though, perhaps, that kind of inspection might reveal those differences).

When we 'see', it is a gestalt process; there are a huge number of variables being considered—some at the conscious, rational, compare this with that level, and a great many that are not at that surface level (like how one colour is reproduced compared to another in the same scene). A close comparison can reveal that neither camera reproduced the scene perfectly (we all see this all the time), but nonetheless, we prefer one over the other.

to etrigan: an articulated LCD can be weather sealed, to the best of my knowledge. I can't think of a specific example, but I am sure someone will, and the Olympus E-5 has one, and is 'water resistant' and I have seen videos of one being shot in a torrential downpour without any water entering).

Cheers to all, KL

Post Thanks / Like

Ah: Jono and I posted at the same time. On occasions, an articulated screen is a true blessing, so i would want one if sealed, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have - on several occasions - just try doing a 'side by side' at dpreview, under environmentally sealed, 850 is NO 900 is Yes (water and dust resistant).

Of course, they have been known to get it wrong, but not usually on stuff like this.

Like Quentin, mine's been in terrible conditions and always come up trumps.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, Jono. I'm not saying the A900 isn't sealed. I'm saying that I'd bet the A850 has the same seals.

I've seen the A850 listed as not weather sealed a few places, but I've yet to see any tests to confirm it, and I've yet to see or hear of any A850s having weather issues. I'd say both the A900 and A850 do well in bad weather.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't recall seeing Sony stating A900 as seal camera either or did Sony say that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From sonystyle.com:

"Moisture/dust-resistant design
    Sealed viewfinder optics and rubber gasket surrounds on all buttons, dials, and switches help resist the entry of dust and moisture into the camera, and allow for safe use in a wide range of environments."