The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX Firmware Updates

Terry

With the new cameras announced today it was also announced that there would be a firmware update for the NEX3 and NEX5.

At first I thought ho-hum just some new picture controls. However in the article over at Luminous Landscape they said the new focus peaking technology would be in the update! Now this is something to get excited about.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sony_nex_c3_field_report.shtml

"There's good news. The new firmware found on the C3 will be available as an update for current NEX-3 and NEX-5 owners, so if you are keen to have Peaking this will be available for your previous NEX camera around the same time that the NEX C-3 is announced."

Bugleone

I've got my NEX3 yesterday and immediately struggled thru the process of upgrading to firmware 3 since i considered that vital to my use of this camera. Even with the upgrade I'm a little concerned with the massive and arcane menu choices and hope to get a workflow that ignores as much as possible. The peaking is unlikely to be much more than a gimmick to anyone as ancient as me who grew up using manual focus by twiddling the front of the lens! If firmware 4 contains all the silly stuff that is in the C3 such as styling choices then it would be better to not upgrade in order to keep the endless menu choices as simple and fast as possible.

Terry

Yes, but when you used to twiddle the front of the lens you were looking through a view finder. For those who use legacy manual focus lenses on these cameras that extra bit of verification on the LCD may be useful.

As to the menus, I rarely need to use them as once you set up the camera ISO, Aperture, shutter speed and white balance are all a breeze to get to.

firmware 04 lets you customize most of the buttons. the nex-c3 doesn't have a dedicated shutter or flash mode button anymore - these are customisable as well.

monza

Been anticipating the focus peaking for a few months now, this should be really helpful. Firmware to be posted for download on 6/20.

douglasf13

Man, I've had various levels of anticipation for Sony DSLR firmware upgrades over the years, but the anticipation of focus peaking with NEX takes the cake. This seems like it will revolutionize the camera, for me.

hot

Sony officially announced that the new NEX-3/5 firmware will come on June 20th! “A firmware upgrade (Version 4) adds the new ‘Picture Effect’ function to existing NEX-5 and NEX-3 cameras. It also adds a Peaking function to assist with more precise manual focusing. This upgrade will be available June 20thand can be downloaded from: (www.esupport.sony.com). ”

Also for A33/55:

“Available beginning June 20th, a firmware update for existing α33 and α55 cameras adds several creative and operational enhancements. Support for the ‘Picture Effect’ function featured on the new α35 model is now offered. High-Speed Synch is supported during wireless operation with a compatible external flash (α55 only). Ergonomics are further improved with revised menus and a new mode that lets users switch shooting parameters overlaid on-screen for clear, uncluttered composition. The a33 and a55 camera’s Digital Level Gauge can also be displayed when shooting via the optional CLM-V55 external LCD monitor. Frequently used features can now be custom-assigned to the D-RANGE button for rapid, menu-free access.”

monza

Man, I've had various levels of anticipation for Sony DSLR firmware upgrades over the years, but the anticipation of focus peaking with NEX takes the cake. This seems like it will revolutionize the camera, for me.
Indeed. I'm really looking forward to seeing how well this works!

Has anyone seen any other videos showing focus peaking on the new NEX?