The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX Firmware Updates

jsnack

Firmware update works great. I'm using the "yellow" peaking color on the medium setting. This really helps with manual focusing.

A tip I read on another forum: if you're shooting raw, you can change your "Creative Style" setting to B&W, and the focus peaking is super easy to see. It still shows B&W on the LCD but your raw images will, of course be in color.

monza

Focus peaking is great!

This was shot with a 100/2 Planar, I have found it nearly impossible to focus on my dog's eyes with the focus magnification, because he simply moves too quickly. This one was taken as described in the previous post, creative style to B&W, so the image shows as B&W on the LCD, with yellow focus peaking. No magnification required, and focus was nailed.

Being able to see the entire frame while confirming focus is great, a lot of times I lose my framing when using the magnify assist.

douglasf13

I believe that adjusting creative style sharpness and contrast settings will also affect the peaking strengths. I haven't quite dialed mine in yet, but I really like it so far.

Terry

Marc - if you have a problem you need to reboot in 32 bit not 6t4 bit

From Lula:
A note to Mac users.... If you have a recent Mac that runs in 64 bit mode you will need to reboot before installing the update by holding the 3 and the 2 keys down. This will boot your Mac in 32 bit mode and allow the installation.

thomasl.se

Composing colors, really happy with "vivid" and white peaking on NEX-5. What a terrificious firmware update. Not to go overboard or nuffin but it's definitely gonna save lives.

Jim DE

terry, I didn't think you still had yours........... Thought you went "all in" with the Tech digital camera.

Terry

terry, I didn't think you still had yours........... Thought you went "all in" with the Tech digital camera.
I have the tech camera and had the Sony's as my smaller take anywhere cameras.....until I was invited on Safari in Kenya and bought a whole new m4/3 kit which was the easiest/smallest/lightest way to get to 600mm. I like the NEX so I've held on to it. Eventually something has got to go as I also have an X100.

Jim DE

It does make a very positive statement for Sony and how they feel about their customer base IMO. Offering free firmware update that enhance camera operations alone and are not for fixing manufacturer issues cost Sony some serious cash to provide. They could just offer another camera and only incorporate these changes in them which their customers would have to pay for to get. Instead, they reward us for being early buyers and sticking with their products. A very nice gesture and for me a great way to get something new to play with till they offer the new a-77/Nex-7 models.

I have read rumors about both the a-77 and the Nex-7 over the past year and still am not sure if I am going to get one or both. One thing is for sure I will have something new with a 7 on it when they do offer them! ;)

JCT

Yup, this just shoved me off the fence -- saw a thread the other day where someone was using a Summicron and a Summaron on their NEX, I have a couple of these from the 60's that get little use since I so infrequently shoot 35mm.

I have a GH1/GF1 setup that I use for travel and regular video, but never really liked shooting with the legacy glass (have some PenF and fast OM stuff too).

NEX adapters on the way and just have to decide whether I have time to pick up an NEX-5 at B&H or just go local... first silver camera!

BTW, please tell me this isn't a gateway drug to the Sony system.

Lonnie Utah

NEX adapters on the way and just have to decide whether I have time to pick up an NEX-5 at B&H or just go local... first silver camera!
If you can wait on the NEX-C5, I would suggest that you do. The af/ae is supposed to be 2x faster than the nex-5. If you are just going manual focus anyway, it's a moot point.

JCT

If you can wait on the NEX-C5, I would suggest that you do. The af/ae is supposed to be 2x faster than the nex-5. If you are just going manual focus anyway, it's a moot point.
I thought about it, but this is really for the legacy glass and in general I almost never buy cameras the minute they are released. I've "beta-tested" my share of gear over the years and lost my taste for it ;).

JT