Site Sponsors

Thread: NEX Firmware Updates

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

NEX Firmware Updates

With the new cameras announced today it was also announced that there would be a firmware update for the NEX3 and NEX5.

At first I thought ho-hum just some new picture controls. However in the article over at Luminous Landscape they said the new focus peaking technology would be in the update! Now this is something to get excited about.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...d_report.shtml

"There's good news. The new firmware found on the C3 will be available as an update for current NEX-3 and NEX-5 owners, so if you are keen to have Peaking this will be available for your previous NEX camera around the same time that the NEX C-3 is announced."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: NEX Firmware Updates

I think this shows that sony is listening to consumer feedback, which is a good thing...
    SONY A900
    Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
    My Site|Facebook Fanpage|

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: NEX Firmware Updates

you can see focus peaking on the hands on video with the nex-c3 at around 2:20.

http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/201...-on-video.html

Post Thanks / Like

I've got my NEX3 yesterday and immediately struggled thru the process of upgrading to firmware 3 since i considered that vital to my use of this camera. Even with the upgrade I'm a little concerned with the massive and arcane menu choices and hope to get a workflow that ignores as much as possible. The peaking is unlikely to be much more than a gimmick to anyone as ancient as me who grew up using manual focus by twiddling the front of the lens! If firmware 4 contains all the silly stuff that is in the C3 such as styling choices then it would be better to not upgrade in order to keep the endless menu choices as simple and fast as possible.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, but when you used to twiddle the front of the lens you were looking through a view finder. For those who use legacy manual focus lenses on these cameras that extra bit of verification on the LCD may be useful.

As to the menus, I rarely need to use them as once you set up the camera ISO, Aperture, shutter speed and white balance are all a breeze to get to.

Post Thanks / Like

firmware 04 lets you customize most of the buttons. the nex-c3 doesn't have a dedicated shutter or flash mode button anymore - these are customisable as well.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Been anticipating the focus peaking for a few months now, this should be really helpful. Firmware to be posted for download on 6/20.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Man, I've had various levels of anticipation for Sony DSLR firmware upgrades over the years, but the anticipation of focus peaking with NEX takes the cake. This seems like it will revolutionize the camera, for me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, it's good to see Sony advancing the NEX system.

Post Thanks / Like

Sony officially announced that the new NEX-3/5 firmware will come on June 20th! “A firmware upgrade (Version 4) adds the new ‘Picture Effect’ function to existing NEX-5 and NEX-3 cameras. It also adds a Peaking function to assist with more precise manual focusing. This upgrade will be available June 20thand can be downloaded from: (www.esupport.sony.com). ”

Also for A33/55:

“Available beginning June 20th, a firmware update for existing α33 and α55 cameras adds several creative and operational enhancements. Support for the ‘Picture Effect’ function featured on the new α35 model is now offered. High-Speed Synch is supported during wireless operation with a compatible external flash (α55 only). Ergonomics are further improved with revised menus and a new mode that lets users switch shooting parameters overlaid on-screen for clear, uncluttered composition. The a33 and a55 camera’s Digital Level Gauge can also be displayed when shooting via the optional CLM-V55 external LCD monitor. Frequently used features can now be custom-assigned to the D-RANGE button for rapid, menu-free access.”

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Man, I've had various levels of anticipation for Sony DSLR firmware upgrades over the years, but the anticipation of focus peaking with NEX takes the cake. This seems like it will revolutionize the camera, for me.
    Indeed. I'm really looking forward to seeing how well this works!

Has anyone seen any other videos showing focus peaking on the new NEX?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's another video: http://vimeo.com/24821210

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! I just came across that. This is really going to make a big difference for me...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Yes! I just came across that. This is really going to make a big difference for me...
    Me too!

I almost never use the Sony lenses ... and the M adapter is on my NEX5 almost all of the time. This should help a lot!

-Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That video looks great. probably eliminates the need to ever magnify the view.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Here's another video: http://vimeo.com/24821210
    Wow. That's cool.
    SONY A900

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, I really think this will make the camera at least close to being rangefinder fast, focusing wise.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    That video looks great. probably eliminates the need to ever magnify the view.
    Once it is loaded, I'll try the M50/0.95 and let you know : -)

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! This looks cool!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Upgrading firmware now...can't wait to test!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Upgrading firmware now...can't wait to test!
    Where do you get the new firmware? Link.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Firmware update works great. I'm using the "yellow" peaking color on the medium setting. This really helps with manual focusing.

A tip I read on another forum: if you're shooting raw, you can change your "Creative Style" setting to B&W, and the focus peaking is super easy to see. It still shows B&W on the LCD but your raw images will, of course be in color.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Focus peaking is great!

This was shot with a 100/2 Planar, I have found it nearly impossible to focus on my dog's eyes with the focus magnification, because he simply moves too quickly. This one was taken as described in the previous post, creative style to B&W, so the image shows as B&W on the LCD, with yellow focus peaking. No magnification required, and focus was nailed.

Being able to see the entire frame while confirming focus is great, a lot of times I lose my framing when using the magnify assist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I believe that adjusting creative style sharpness and contrast settings will also affect the peaking strengths. I haven't quite dialed mine in yet, but I really like it so far.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    Thanks, but that's for Windows OS. I'm on a Mac.

-Marc

Oops, found it.

Thanks!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc - if you have a problem you need to reboot in 32 bit not 6t4 bit

From Lula:
    A note to Mac users.... If you have a recent Mac that runs in 64 bit mode you will need to reboot before installing the update by holding the 3 and the 2 keys down. This will boot your Mac in 32 bit mode and allow the installation.

Post Thanks / Like

Composing colors, really happy with "vivid" and white peaking on NEX-5. What a terrificious firmware update. Not to go overboard or nuffin but it's definitely gonna save lives.

Post Thanks / Like

The new firmware IS very nice...........

Post Thanks / Like

terry, I didn't think you still had yours........... Thought you went "all in" with the Tech digital camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    terry, I didn't think you still had yours........... Thought you went "all in" with the Tech digital camera.
    I have the tech camera and had the Sony's as my smaller take anywhere cameras.....until I was invited on Safari in Kenya and bought a whole new m4/3 kit which was the easiest/smallest/lightest way to get to 600mm. I like the NEX so I've held on to it. Eventually something has got to go as I also have an X100.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    The new firmware IS very nice...........
    2nded. The MF tweaks have made a nifty little camera a SUPERAWESOMEFANTASTIC one.
    SONY A900

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't have said it any better.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Utah View Post
    2nded. The MF tweaks have made a nifty little camera a SUPERAWESOMEFANTASTIC one.
    Thirded.....works great.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a feeling that sony just turned a hit, into a blockbuster.
    SONY A900

Post Thanks / Like

It does make a very positive statement for Sony and how they feel about their customer base IMO. Offering free firmware update that enhance camera operations alone and are not for fixing manufacturer issues cost Sony some serious cash to provide. They could just offer another camera and only incorporate these changes in them which their customers would have to pay for to get. Instead, they reward us for being early buyers and sticking with their products. A very nice gesture and for me a great way to get something new to play with till they offer the new a-77/Nex-7 models.

I have read rumors about both the a-77 and the Nex-7 over the past year and still am not sure if I am going to get one or both. One thing is for sure I will have something new with a 7 on it when they do offer them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yup, this just shoved me off the fence -- saw a thread the other day where someone was using a Summicron and a Summaron on their NEX, I have a couple of these from the 60's that get little use since I so infrequently shoot 35mm.

I have a GH1/GF1 setup that I use for travel and regular video, but never really liked shooting with the legacy glass (have some PenF and fast OM stuff too).

NEX adapters on the way and just have to decide whether I have time to pick up an NEX-5 at B&H or just go local... first silver camera!

BTW, please tell me this isn't a gateway drug to the Sony system.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCT View Post
    NEX adapters on the way and just have to decide whether I have time to pick up an NEX-5 at B&H or just go local... first silver camera!
    If you can wait on the NEX-C5, I would suggest that you do. The af/ae is supposed to be 2x faster than the nex-5. If you are just going manual focus anyway, it's a moot point.
    SONY A900

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Utah View Post
    If you can wait on the NEX-C5, I would suggest that you do. The af/ae is supposed to be 2x faster than the nex-5. If you are just going manual focus anyway, it's a moot point.
    I thought about it, but this is really for the legacy glass and in general I almost never buy cameras the minute they are released. I've "beta-tested" my share of gear over the years and lost my taste for it .

JT

Post Thanks / Like

No worries, I just thought, I'd give you the heads up. Informed consumers make good consumers...
    SONY A900

John Bean

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I have the tech camera and had the Sony's as my smaller take anywhere cameras.....until I was invited on Safari in Kenya and bought a whole new m4/3 kit which was the easiest/smallest/lightest way to get to 600mm. I like the NEX so I've held on to it. Eventually something has got to go as I also have an X100.
    You have too many cameras :-)

The odd thing in my case is that when I bought a NEX it was for a specific reason (details unimportant now) and I was absolutely confident it could never challenge my preferred Panasonic m4/3 choices. But it did.

I found I was using the NEX-5 far more than my G1, to the point that I have abandoned m4/3 altogether. That was the exact opposite of what I expected.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by John Bean View Post
    You have too many cameras :-)

The odd thing in my case is that when I bought a NEX it was for a specific reason (details unimportant now) and I was absolutely confident it could never challenge my preferred Panasonic m4/3 choices. But it did.

I found I was using the NEX-5 far more than my G1, to the point that I have abandoned m4/3 altogether. That was the exact opposite of what I expected.
    I'm in the same situation and curious to see how this evolves for me now that I have the NEX-5.

I truly love the Pana 7-14, though, very hard to give that up. I imagine I could end up swapping my GF1 for the NEX-5 if the native Zeiss wide angle could supplant the 20mm on my GF1.

John Bean

It will depend on your uses and preferences, which are most likely not at all like mine.

Currently I own no zoom lenses (and no AF lenses either for that matter!), it's just the way I prefer to work with small camera/manual lens combinations so there's no real difference in lens choice (for me) whichever camera I'm using. What it came down to was that I prefer the waist-level handling of the NEX with its tilting screen and rarely need an eye-level finder.

I briefly tried a GF1 but couldn't live with the fixed LCD, whatever lens was on it - again, personal preferences.

If I needed long lenses (or bulky zooms) it would be a different matter and the ergonomics of a camera like the G1 come into play, but I don't :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agreed, John. If native, AF lenses are the goal, I wouldn't be shooting NEX, but it is a dream with manual lenses. Granted, there are a bunch of NEX lenses on the horizon. The only AF lens I own is the Sony 16mm, and I must admit, it is a pretty capable 18mm equivalent with the Sony .75x adapter.

John Bean

I had a E16 for a while; decent enough lens, but I don't normally use anything that wide even without the adapter.

I bought it on the spur of the moment in a NEX-3 kit at a bargain price, thinking it might be handy to have two NEX bodies to save lens swapping. But for some reason I didn't really like the "feel" of the NEX-3 and hardly ever used it. I was tempted to sell just the body but I got a good price for the complete kit and I don't miss the E16.

I think that as the new native lenses appear I'll be tempted by some of them; there are certainly times I'd like to have AF available to me on a short-normal lens in the 28~35mm range - preferably faster than my current Leitz Summaron 35/3.5 (lovely, tiny lens), or the crude but surprisingly good SLR Magic 28/2.8 I'm playing with currently :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another happy customer with the focus peaking and with the new firmware in general.

I tried the focus peaking today for the first time. Even on a sunny day, it works great. I used Contax G2 lenses, and mostly the 35mm. Yellow was my preference.

The focusing accuracy and percentage highly improved over my previous trials.
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page