The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Non ZA Zeiss on A850/A900?

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
What are the options for adapting ZF or other mount lenses to the big Sonys?

My favourite lens on the A850 is the ZA 85/1.4, but I want ultra-wide, too (especially since selling the 14-24/2.8, along with all the other Nikkors when I made the move to Sony).

Manual focus would not be a hindrance for UWA/WA (but I love AF on the 85).

Looking forward to hearing from you!

edwardkaraa

All ZF lenses can be adapted to the alpha mount via a mount replacement from leitax. However I think the ZA 24 is an excellent lens with a beautiful rendering, but if you want wider, then leitax is the only way.

pegelli

All ZS lenses can be mounted with a standard M42 to A-mount adapter. With a chipped adapter (with the actual FL programmed in) you'll get correct anti-shake as well as focus confirm. Not the most important aspects of a WA, but an advantage anyway.

edwardkaraa

Btw the ZA 16-35 is absolutely amazing. You just have to be careful with focusing. Due to the pronounced W shaped curvature, focus/recompose doesn't work well. I used it with excellent results by composing first then focusing via one of the peripheral points, and some manual fine tuning if necessary. It can produce a lot of 3D, better than many primes.

edwardkaraa

All ZS lenses can be mounted with a standard M42 to A-mount adapter. With a chipped adapter (with the actual FL programmed in) you'll get correct anti-shake as well as focus confirm. Not the most important aspects of a WA, but an advantage anyway.
ZS lenses are now discontinued (but still available in stocks). There are only 3 lenses: 50/1.4, 35/2, and 25/2.8.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Thanks to everyone—I may just have to buy that 16–35!

I have read all the reviews of the ZF lenses on Lloyd's paid site, and 18.5 is as wide as Zeiss go with the ZFs, so for my purposes, even though it means a zoom, the 16–35 is looking good. Thanks to everyone who responded. KL

edwardkaraa

Kit, if you decide to get the 16-35, make sure to check it well for decentering. It is a very complex design, and assembly defects are not uncommon. My first copy suffered from this, but it was promptly replaced by Sony.

edwardkaraa

The simplest test is the tilted horizon. You take a shot wide open at infinity, with the camera tilted at 45 degrees so that the horizon passes through the corners. You do the same while tilting the camera the other way, so that you basically get horizon shots of all 4 corners. Then you compare the corners for uneven sharpness, CA and vignetting. It only takes a minute and it's very easy to spot any defects.

PS: don't get too critical about it. Most lenses will show some degree of decentering. If it isn't too obvious then it should be ok. I almost became nuts comparing corners of my various lenses, the perfectly assembled lens doesn't exist.