The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A77

arashm

@ Douglas
Thanks
I see the "E". But saw the ZA first and got all confused :)
so it's a ZA for the E mount....
I find this slightly confusing, but I guess that's just me!
am

arashm

This, if true will be a very interesting camera for me.
I was looking at the X100 but the lack of focal lengths was a bit of a potential problem.
The bigger problem is that there seems to be non to actually buy, going on a month or so long waiting list is not my idea of fun!
The more I look at this supposed NEX 7 WITH Built in EVF, the more I'm liking the idea.
am

ptomsu

Workshop Member
@ Douglas
Thanks
I see the "E". But saw the ZA first and got all confused :)
so it's a ZA for the E mount....
I find this slightly confusing, but I guess that's just me!
am
+1, it is not only you who is confused by the Sony naming.

Actually this naming is not so much different from the totally confusing naming in their other consumer product lines - TV, stereo, computer, etc. so why should we expect to do better in their photography department ?????

I bought into the A900 because it held promise as a serious system going forward ... it appeared to be a great start ... I am now worried that it was the end.

-Marc
And that sums up my fears perfectly in one sentence. I was just chatting with Jono about that this morning. There is a great opportunity for Sony to either gain market share or lose what little of the professional market they have. I realize that pros are not a profitable market segment because we are a fickle, demanding, whiny lot, but if you think the sea of white lenses on the sidelines had nothing to do with Canon's overall market share you are kidding yourself.

My A900 meets my needs better than any other camera on the market, but it's hard to invest in a system without a clear roadmap. One great body and a couple great lenses does not a system make. Sony appears to have taken aim the highly profitable (guessing) prosumer market. What they don't understand is they really don't have to roll out tons of killer pro level gear to capture that market, just let people know what to expect. Practically no one has a huge cache of legacy Sony glass as they might with Canon, Nikon, Mamiya, Hassy, Rollei tying them to the system. Market share has to be earned one lens, body and photographer at a time, rather then just maintained like Canikon. All Canon has to do to maintain its user base is roll out new products that keep pace with other manufacturers and don't suck. When they roll out a faulty camera, then -- and only then -- they lose customers.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
And that sums up my fears perfectly in one sentence. I was just chatting with Jono about that this morning. There is a great opportunity for Sony to either gain market share or lose what little of the professional market they have. I realize that pros are not a profitable market segment because we are a fickle, demanding, whiny lot, but if you think the sea of white lenses on the sidelines had nothing to do with Canon's overall market share you are kidding yourself.

My A900 meets my needs better than any other camera on the market, but it's hard to invest in a system without a clear roadmap. One great body and a couple great lenses does not a system make. Sony appears to have taken aim the highly profitable (guessing) prosumer market. What they don't understand is they really don't have to roll out tons of killer pro level gear to capture that market, just let people know what to expect. Practically no one has a huge cache of legacy Sony glass as they might with Canon, Nikon, Mamiya, Hassy, Rollei tying them to the system. Market share has to be earned one lens, body and photographer at a time, rather then just maintained like Canikon. All Canon has to do to maintain its user base is roll out new products that keep pace with other manufacturers and don't suck. When they roll out a faulty camera, then -- and only then -- they lose customers.
+1

and market share cannot be earned by bringing out big number of new and in fact useless camera models, rather show a clear line of consumer and pro gear and evolve that over the years. This is I am totally missing.

Also they have that great cooperation with Zeiss, so why do we not yet see a lineup of Zeiss tele primes and zooms like 2.8/300, 2.8/400, 4/100-400 etc, etc ??? They are missing on a definite opportunity also in this area!

And further - I owned the Zeiss 2.8/16-35 and 2.8/24-70, but both lenses did by far not convince me. All my Nikon and Canon counterparts were simply better - WRT optical quality as well as mechanics and stability and haptics.

So I think Sony can produce great sensors, but delivering on cameras or even more systems they fail.

This was the main reason I went out of this system some 18 months ago and it will be hard to convince me to go back.

jfirneno

Interesting thread. But if Sony were reading through the comments they might be confused. Some folks think there are not enough high end (pro) lenses and cameras. Other folks think the equipment (lenses) are too expensive. I guess they'll just have to steer for the middle and hope to hit the sweet spot where they satisfy the highest number of people (or make the largest amount of money, which can be a different thing).

Regards
John

hot

What they (Sony) read, think, produce ... or whathever .. is THEIR thing.
They also can make cars with 2 wheels or propeller-driven rockets to Mars.
Why someone that itches? Does someone have shares?

PS: discussions always should have level of Nobel awards speeches.

douglasf13

Interesting thread. But if Sony were reading through the comments they might be confused. Some folks think there are not enough high end (pro) lenses and cameras. Other folks think the equipment (lenses) are too expensive. I guess they'll just have to steer for the middle and hope to hit the sweet spot where they satisfy the highest number of people (or make the largest amount of money, which can be a different thing).

Regards
John
For me, it's a combination of factors. I certainly have no problem with spending money on lenses, but, if all of these rumors are correct, I think my concern about the 24mm's size, combined with the price, may keep me away. Heck, even if the lens was $999, but half the size and slower, I might consider buying it a little more. We'll see.

Of course, if Sony had at least one, normal-ish, small lens to offer, I wouldn't be concerned about the size of lenses so much. At this rate, I'll probably just stick to ZM glass for the NEX-7.

Lonnie Utah

For $1k, I'm buying legacy glass and adapting it (and I'm sure I'll get just as good a results and smaller size to boot)...

jfirneno

For me, it's a combination of factors. I certainly have no problem with spending money on lenses, but, if all of these rumors are correct, I think my concern about the 24mm's size, combined with the price, may keep me away. Heck, even if the lens was $999, but half the size and slower, I might consider buying it a little more. We'll see.

Of course, if Sony had at least one, normal-ish, small lens to offer, I wouldn't be concerned about the size of lenses so much. At this rate, I'll probably just stick to ZM glass for the NEX-7.
I don't doubt that all the comments have merit with respect to the point of view they are coming from. My question is how does Sony figure out which approach helps them most. So I know lots of folks who don't want the expensive glass and would rather that Sony update a lot of the F4 minolta lenses. But I also know that many folks want (and need) some very high end items. Some want FF others APS-C. So who wins? Or rather which way does Sony go? I guess time will tell. But it's interesting to try and guess which direction they'll go first.

Regards
John

edwardkaraa

I guess we all have different needs and expectations. I for instance have no problem with the price and size of the 24, but I also think that Sony should provide several options for those who have different requirements. The 30 seems to fit the bill for small and lower priced, and I'm sure more lenses will come later so no worries.

douglasf13

I guess we all have different needs and expectations. I for instance have no problem with the price and size of the 24, but I also think that Sony should provide several options for those who have different requirements. The 30 seems to fit the bill for small and lower priced, and I'm sure more lenses will come later so no worries.
I honestly think that 30 macro is the weirdest decision of all. It isn't that small or fast. I'd much rather have a Samsung NX 30/2 (even taking into account it would be 7mm for NEX, because of registration differences.)

jonoslack

The 35mm IQ equal to a medium format has been the "Holy Grail" for decades and decades ... never happened, and IMO, it never will. My old 16 meg CFV produced better files than my 24 meg Sony ... but they are different animals to actually use. Which is my point in all this ... refine the 35mm cameras to do what they do best ... and make it better, faster AF, lower light, more versatile machines than they even are now.

-Marc
Whilst I agree that the extra real estate of the sensor means that 35mm will never catch up with MF . . . they are both improving at an impressive rate, but may come a point where a 35mm sensor can produce a decent 100mp file, and at that point it's hard to see who is going to pay a multiple price differential to get even better quality . . . .and when that number of people start to decline, then the price differential will become even bigger.

I quite agree about Sony's general strategy in this sort of business, the Vaio laptops being a good case in point - a new and completely different computer every 3 months. Not Helpful.

But it seems to me that the whole SLT strategy is very well thought out and considered - the new 'leaks' with respect to the video capability and high ISO of the A77 sound very impressive . . . full control in video mode, no need for rolling shutter 60fps 1080p, 12 fps still, 102,580 ISO . . . 24mp . . 16-50 weather sealed lens at not much more than half the price of a Nikon 17-55. if it all works properly (and that is one thing good about Sony stuff - it does tend to work), and if they've got the AF right, then it seems to me that it's going to do the business for a lot of people (why do you need a D700 / 5DmkII if the A77 is faster and better at low light).

I understand Bill's concerns, but it seems to me that Sony are very serious about this stuff.

all the best

Paratom

Whilst I agree that the extra real estate of the sensor means that 35mm will never catch up with MF . . . they are both improving at an impressive rate, but may come a point where a 35mm sensor can produce a decent 100mp file, and at that point it's hard to see who is going to pay a multiple price differential to get even better quality . . . .and when that number of people start to decline, then the price differential will become even bigger.

I quite agree about Sony's general strategy in this sort of business, the Vaio laptops being a good case in point - a new and completely different computer every 3 months. Not Helpful.

But it seems to me that the whole SLT strategy is very well thought out and considered - the new 'leaks' with respect to the video capability and high ISO of the A77 sound very impressive . . . full control in video mode, no need for rolling shutter 60fps 1080p, 12 fps still, 102,580 ISO . . . 24mp . . 16-50 weather sealed lens at not much more than half the price of a Nikon 17-55. if it all works properly (and that is one thing good about Sony stuff - it does tend to work), and if they've got the AF right, then it seems to me that it's going to do the business for a lot of people (why do you need a D700 / 5DmkII if the A77 is faster and better at low light).

I understand Bill's concerns, but it seems to me that Sony are very serious about this stuff.

all the best
Hi Jono,
I know it has been discussed before and I think to understand advantages and disadvantages of both EVF and OVF but personally I am still not a fan of EVF. Even if there are many pluses I feel disconnected from the subject and the real world with an EVF. I think (and hope for Sony useres) that Sony should offer both options in the future.
Of course medium format is a high premium price, and also much slower cameras, but besides IQ itself there is also one other advantage - a big and bright viewfinder which allows to judge focus without additional magnification.

Having said this from the limited experience I have with the A900 this camera has a great viewfinder as well and great IQ. If I was a Sony guy I wonder if I wanted to replace the A900 with an A77.
IMO High ISO are overrated anyways. If one has good and fast glass one can do quite a bit even with ISO 640 and lower.
But lets see what it really is.