The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A77

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Most camera reviews are crap anyway. Some of them present studio photos, taken on a tripod, that aren't even properly focused. Then they spend countless pages explaining features that most photographers will hardly ever use and that I prefer not to know about since they tend to get in the way of my photography, before they compare it to a bunch of cameras that I know nothing about since I've never used them, and conclude that this particular model is "Highly Recommended" or scores 75% out of something, which probably means that the camera in question will only get 75% keepers :confused:

The only solution seems to be to read this excellent forum and/or buy the camera.

Edit: I've looked at a few samples that have been posted around the web. There's a frightening lot of detail in the low ISO photo, but high ISO, even 1600, seems rather noisy, at least at full resolution and it's still very visible even when the size is reduced. This makes me wonder if Sony, at least from a photographer's point of view, has taken it a little bit too far this time. But the gadget freaks will buy it in hordes obviously, and success is mostly measured in figures, not by artistic potential :rolleyes:

waynelake

Yeah.......
All those endless features, or program modes is enough to get a person lost in the menu... Some I admit are good, but theres only so much needed, and maybe + 1 or 2 more things. If that makes sense...

dhsimmonds

Yes, well, I do understand that. To be honest, I think that landscape with most of these little cameras is an issue - the lenses usually just don't make it to the edges . . . . the 12mm on m4/3 is a nice lens, and that is sharp to the corners, but these are few and far between.

I think Jorgen has it with Sony, that there really isn't a good wide prime for APS/c.
I use my full frame A900 lenses with my A700 even the zooms are sharp to the edges!:D One of the benefits of using the sweet spot of the lens!:thumbup:

dhsimmonds

Of course . . . quite agree . . . but what do you do for a wide angle?
Hi Jono

I then use the A900 with my ZA16-35....it's a really great lens Jono! :ROTFL:

I only use the A700 as a back up for my A900 and as a 1.5x teleconverter for my long lenses. the G70-400 becomes a great 105-600 for bird photography.

pegelli

I only use the A700 as a back up for my A900 and as a 1.5x teleconverter for my long lenses.
In a similar way my A850 has a built in 1.5 teleconverter, since there's hardly any difference in MP between the APS-C crop of the FF sensor (11 MP) and the A700 sensor (12 MP) ;) (assuming you don't mind the big raw files)

If you see it that way every prime suddenly becomes a 1.5 zoom lens :thumbup:

roweraay

In a similar way my A850 has a built in 1.5 teleconverter, since there's hardly any difference in MP between the APS-C crop of the FF sensor (11 MP) and the A700 sensor (12 MP) ;) (assuming you don't mind the big raw files)

If you see it that way every prime suddenly becomes a 1.5 zoom lens :thumbup:
That was a good one....poking a hole in the myth of the 1.5x converter. ;) The A77 should be a true 1.5x converter for the A900, however (looking purely from a FOV perspective, of course). :cool:

dhsimmonds

That was a good one....poking a hole in the myth of the 1.5x converter. ;) The A77 should be a true 1.5x converter for the A900, however (looking purely from a FOV perspective, of course). :cool:
It still doesn't help if you suddenly need a back-up. :rolleyes:

Yep, it happens and it's happened to me! :mad:

It's also nice to have a tele lens on the A700 and a wider lens on the A900, both at the ready. When shooting wildlife anything can happen and usually very quickly so no time to change lenses. It's saved me quite a few otherwise lost shots.

Jim DE

Well, the production versions are being sold in Korea and Great Britain this week and rumored to be available in China today. Firmware is version 1.02 and from what has been posted by several new owners on the net I am very pleased with their images even-though they are just out of camera Jpeg's.

I had a pre-order in with Amazon placed on the first day (8/24/11) but just cancelled it and pre-ordered through Sony Style. I had ordered with Amazon for "my protection" if I might find the camera did not fit my needs as their return policy is excellent. The problem with Amazon is they are historically 2-4 weeks behind Sony Style when it comes to availability and shipping dates. I have never returned a camera for any reason to a retailer or online store and now I know I will be pleased with the a77 for my requirements and returning will remain a non-issue.

I may have a a77 in time for some fall scenics for my trip up to the Lehigh Valley around the end of October :) Now, comes the hard part :( ...... waiting the next few weeks ;)

The pixel peepers and nay sayers were really starting to get to me ..... now that regular people who I have communicated with for years on the net are taking real images and posting their impressions and images I am much more confident in my decision to acquire a a77!

jonoslack

Hmm. . . Silas (son) picked his up today . . . . I think I'll be getting mine tomorrow.

I'll keep you guys posted!

all the best

Jim DE

I will be curious on your take on this camera and it's IQ, Jono. From what I saw posted today from a owner in England I could find no cause for alarm about the issues the pixel peepers were in a uproar about with noise and high ISO's (not that I shoot high ISO's for any of my shots ... I rarely get above 200)

jonoslack

I will be curious on your take on this camera and it's IQ, Jono. From what I saw posted today from a owner in England I could find no cause for alarm about the issues the pixel peepers were in a uproar about with noise and high ISO's (not that I shoot high ISO's for any of my shots ... I rarely get above 200)
Hi Jim
I'm afraid the jury will be out for a while due to the lack of RAW support. My initial response is very favourable, but that's just looking at jpgs. Dxo seem to have had a look and they think it's pretty good as well.

I'm afraid that the more the megapixels the more the pixelpeepers will complain, for the simple reason that they all seem to examine images at 100%, rather than by looking at an equivalent portion of the frame, which would be much fairer.

What I can say is that the camera is fantastic - small(ish) light, very quiet, responsive, nice to hold, well laid out, easy to use (the manual is still in the box). It's been my first experience with focus peaking as well.

all the best

Jim DE

That's great to hear Jono. It is regrettable that RAW support lags so far behind but that is a common problem and a understandable one as well. Maybe, during the next month while I am waiting Aperture or PS will obtain RAW support by then. Yeah, I know, wishful thinking ;)

Your the second one I have seen remark about it's light weight and handling atributes. Nice when a camera just feels "right" in the hand.

I will be looking forward to your further evaluations and pictures as I am sure many American here on this site will as well. Have fun my friend and thanks for your comments.

Jim DE

Jono, I figure I will order some accessories for the a77 prior to it arriving and have a maybe silly question for you. I see it takes a Sony NP-FM500H battery. But also read a questionable comment on sony rumors "The vertical battery grip VG-C77AM will cost $299.99 US . And I have beent told the A77 will use the same battery as A700/A850/A900: The NP-FM500H." that made me pause and wonder if in reality it is the same exact battery with the connections in the exact same spot (also read where it was it's own dedicated battery in another review on the web). Figured I would go to the horses mouth and get verification from a actual owner who would definitely know before I order 3 additional batteries and a charger. Are the batteries the exact same ones as used in the a900?