The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rediscovering the A55

jonoslack

We've had a lovely day today, but there was also a rather boozy lunch party. When we got home I drifted around the garden with the a55 and the Sony 70-300G lens . ....

. . . . erm . . . the A77 might be quite interesting!:ROTFL:

mathomas

All good, but I especially like the frame-filling rooster, and the backlit flowers.

I used my A55 today for some interior photos/vids of a property. The auto-panorama feature again came in super handy (though it had a hard time coping with some of the tight interiors), as did the HD video. Guess I'll have to invest in a super-wide at some point.

roweraay

Looks good. The first Rooster pic was especially good.

I too use the A55 along with the 1-2 punch of the 16-80 and the 70-300. Portable and top-notch quality. Don't miss my old NEX5, one little bit !

douglasf13

I too use the A55 along with the 1-2 punch of the 16-80 and the 70-300. Portable and top-notch quality. Don't miss my old NEX5, one little bit !
I'm not sure I'd call that a portable setup, at least when mentioning NEX in the same sentence. I carry the NEX-5 with a C-Biogon 35, Nokton 50/1.5, Contax G 90 and the Sony 16mm WITH the .75 converter in an Artisan and Artist GCAM-7200. It's a laughably portable setup near the size of a child's lunchbox. For ultimate in portability, the MS Optical Perar 35 on NEX is ridiculous.

Great shots, Jono. Good to see you putting the A55 to use again. It seems a really cool, unique camera.

roweraay

I'm not sure I'd call that a portable setup, at least when mentioning NEX in the same sentence. I carry the NEX-5 with a C-Biogon 35, Nokton 50/1.5, Contax G 90 and the Sony 16mm WITH the .75 converter in an Artisan and Artist GCAM-7200. It's a laughably portable setup near the size of a child's lunchbox. For ultimate in portability, the MS Optical Perar 35 on NEX is ridiculous..
Oh, I was just commenting on a combination of 16-80 + 70-300 + the camera, providing a 35mm equivalent range from 24mm-450mm.

Not carrying the A55 with something like the 35/1.8 or similar and calling it portable. :D

You don't have to take every comment on the NEX5 personally. I had it and so did Jono - neither of us have it now and from my perspective, there were good reasons to get rid of it, and those reasons have not changed, as far as I am concerned.

douglasf13

Huh, when do I ever take anything personally? I was just responding to your portability comment, but, if I misunderstood you, I apologize. I certainly have no problems with the A55...or any other camera, for that matter. If I decide that I ever need AF again, I may buy an SLT, myself.

jonoslack

It looks like the cat had the boozy afternoon.
Hi Terry - well, unless it was sneaking cat-nips, I think it was us that were the boozers!

Very nice. Looks like the cat is saying,"Not again".
Joe
HI Joe - well, they are serial victims - no animal is safe around here!

The famous chicken pics which you know I like. Also the faded rose with light behind.
HI Diane - that's an American Pillar Rose (at least that's what we call it). I was pleased with the final chicken shot - they're not so easy to snap and I thought that one came off well.

Guess I'll have to invest in a super-wide at some point.
Thanks Mike
It's rather frought for APSc - I usually end up with a Sigma - at least they don't break the bank.

Hi there - well, I was beginning to wonder about the Nex5 with the new focus firmware update - but I have to keep giving myself a slap of reality because if I'm going to use manual focus prime lenses, then I'll use the M9 . . . . If I'm not going to use the M9, then I want AF lenses (probably zooms). Which leads inexorably back to an SLR, if only because of the lens options . . . and that leads to the A77 as things stand.

I do agree though - that being the assumption, the 16-80 and the 70-300 make a great pair, lightweight and decent quality.

all the best

jonoslack

Huh, when do I ever take anything personally? I was just responding to your portability comment, but, if I misunderstood you, I apologize. I certainly have no problems with the A55...or any other camera, for that matter. If I decide that I ever need AF again, I may buy an SLT, myself.
I think that's the crucial issue isn't it - if you're going to use AF, you may as well go for an SLT, the size disadvantages aren't that bad . . . but if you're going to use small MF lenses then the NEX is rather a no brainer.

all the best

roweraay

Have we pre-ordered this camera that never seems to get launched?
Seems like the launch date is going to be August.....around a month from now. Even though retail availability might be further out. I personally will wait for the A99 and based on what someone (Sony tester) commented, it is targeted for 2012.

roweraay

Hi there - well, I was beginning to wonder about the Nex5 with the new focus firmware update - but I have to keep giving myself a slap of reality....
Yes, I did look at the NEX anew with the new focus-peaking feature.

However, if I am buying a NEX, it will probably be when they come out with a NEX7 (slightly larger body with more access to direct buttons and a built-in EVF and probably a flash - and based on the NeX5's size, a body with such features would be the same size as say a Panasonic GF1) along with the upcoming Zeiss 24mm prime (auto-focus of course)......hopefully the lens will have a leaf-shutter and if so, that would seal the deal for me.:watch:

I truly hope they can also come out with the on-sensor PDAF function that Sony seems to have patented (or applied for a patent maybe) a while back.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I have quite similar thoughts about the A77. Have tried the A55 at a show and I was surprised how good it worked, even indoor, my first tests last year in a camera store in Seattle absolutely disappointed me. But this time everything was totally different and a WOW effect.

So if the EVF becomes a 3MP OLED and the sensor has the high ISO performance which is rumored it might get quite interesting and maybe another try to get in Sony Alpha again.

Well I never said never - didn't I?

Peter

jonoslack

I have quite similar thoughts about the A77. Have tried the A55 at a show and I was surprised how good it worked, even indoor, my first tests last year in a camera store in Seattle absolutely disappointed me. But this time everything was totally different and a WOW effect.

So if the EVF becomes a 3MP OLED and the sensor has the high ISO performance which is rumored it might get quite interesting and maybe another try to get in Sony Alpha again.

Well I never said never - didn't I?

Peter
You never did say never Peter . . . never!

peterv

Well, I've put my name on a list, that's a start!
+1

Sold my a900's.:cry:

I think the a77 will be a nice upgrade from the only Alpha I have left, a55 and it will help to overcome the long (one year?) wait for the a99.

BTW, I do like the a55 a lot. Only one issue: no focus adjust...

jonoslack

+1

Sold my a900's.:cry:

I think the a77 will be a nice upgrade from the only Alpha I have left, a55 and it will help to overcome the long (one year?) wait for the a99.

BTW, I do like the a55 a lot. Only one issue: no focus adjust...
HI Peter
I'm considering about my A900, but I think that it's gonna stay, at least until I see what the A77 sensor is like, and whether the lenses can resolve properly on it.

I've not found focus adjust really necessary, my only missing link on the A55 is having the spot exposure follow the focus point . . . but I can live with it. I just hope that the A77 isn't too big.

all the best