The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rediscovering the A55

ecsh

I think selling the 900 before we even see a camera announced is shooting ones self in the foot. If the new sensor does not come close to what i already have in the 900, i am happy to stay where i am.
Joe

jonoslack

I think selling the 900 before we even see a camera announced is shooting ones self in the foot. If the new sensor does not come close to what i already have in the 900, i am happy to stay where i am.
Joe
Indeed Joe - I think you're right - I wasn't seriously considering selling it, the A900 produces great files, and will presumably continue to do so.

roweraay

My A900 will remain firmly in place. It is the A55 that will get replaced, once an A99 gets released, and the A900 will be relegated to backup duties......assuming of course that the A99 will measure up to the expectations from a 2012 high-end Sony camera/sensor.

douglasf13

My A900 will remain firmly in place. It is the A55 that will get replaced, once an A99 gets released, and the A900 will be relegated to backup duties......assuming of course that the A99 will measure up to the expectations from a 2012 high-end Sony camera/sensor.
I can only imagine how good a 135 EXMOR sensor from Sony in 2012 will be. It should be stunning.

jonoslack

More - it does come up with the goods

With the 16-80:

With the 70-300

This is the flycatcher who has decided to live in our garden:

all the best

roweraay

I can only imagine how good a 135 EXMOR sensor from Sony in 2012 will be. It should be stunning.
I used to remember the days when the Canon guys (I used to be one of them) used to jeer at Sony (and Nikon) for the poor high-ISO performance of their sensors.

A lot of water has flown under the bridge since then !

Ever since the release of the Nikon D3, the Canon guys stopped laughing. And every newer iteration of the Sony Exmors are just driving home the point that Sony no longer has to feel apologetic about the performance of their sensors.

Incidentally, my near-mint 35mm f/2 is on sale. I just acquired a 35/1.4 and decided to let go of the 35/2. At 240gms, the 35/2 is a featherweight and its performance is stunning on the A900/A850. The 35/1.4G has a great rendering but the 35/2 is sharper than the 35/1.4, when both are at f/2.

peterv

I think selling the 900 before we even see a camera announced is shooting ones self in the foot.
Joe

Perhaps.

As for me personally, I'm working on a few projects that I really need to finally finish this year. I started working on these projects using analog Leica M.

I've sold all my M gear too, to finance an S2.
At the moment I'm on the fence, waiting, thinking... (Jono, you've been there...)

Meanwhile I'm happily shooting these film projects with two like brandnew Minolta Dynax 5 cameras that I bought for €15 (!)
I can use all my Sony and ZA glass on these nice little machines without any problem.

There's another photographer that offered a reasonable price for the a900's that I would not have used this year. He's very happy, the a900 is a fine camera.

peterv

Jono,

wonderful images, as always :salute:

To me it's very inspiring to see how you continuously keep finding new perspectives, angles and subjects so close to your home. Well done!

C

curious80

I used to remember the days when the Canon guys (I used to be one of them) used to jeer at Sony (and Nikon) for the poor high-ISO performance of their sensors.

A lot of water has flown under the bridge since then !

Ever since the release of the Nikon D3, the Canon guys stopped laughing.

But it is also funny to think that the Nikon guys at that time used to downplay the canon high-iso superiority by saying that high-iso performance isn't everything and canon guys are obsessed about high-iso etc :). And even more interestingly for years Nikon guys maintained that DX cameras are the future and Full frame is over-rated and not needed (that was when Nikon had the official stance that they will stick with DX and not go for FF DSLRs, whereas Canon had 5D and 1Ds lineup). And suddenly with the launch of D3, Nikon became the champion of the ultra-high-iso FF sensors. And now the Nikon users take pride in that :) Its fun to see how things change!

roweraay

But it is also funny to think that the Nikon guys at that time used to downplay the canon high-iso superiority by saying that high-iso performance isn't everything and canon guys are obsessed about high-iso etc :). And even more interestingly for years Nikon guys maintained that DX cameras are the future and Full frame is over-rated and not needed (that was when Nikon had the official stance that they will stick with DX and not go for FF DSLRs, whereas Canon had 5D and 1Ds lineup). And suddenly with the launch of D3, Nikon became the champion of the ultra-high-iso FF sensors. And now the Nikon users take pride in that :) Its fun to see how things change!
I agree with every single bit of what you have written above. That was the exact theme that one used to find, in forum after forum, thread after thread. :)

The D3, singularly eliminated the "stigma" of both DX and poor-high-ISO performance, from the Nikon lineup, in one fell swoop. For a whole year, all of those Nikon people who were singing hallelujahs about DX, were lining up to buy the D3....and the damn thing was sold out everywhere. :) Nikon's Sendai factory was churning out 12,000 D3 models per month and for a whole year, it was in short-supply everywhere.

sebboh

Huh, when do I ever take anything personally? I was just responding to your portability comment, but, if I misunderstood you, I apologize. I certainly have no problems with the A55...or any other camera, for that matter. If I decide that I ever need AF again, I may buy an SLT, myself.
i actually got an a55 exclusively for manual focus, though i buy all my cameras exclusively for manual focus. i did have to remove that pesky mirror from the camera before i was happy with it though. i have the NEX now for most of my shooting with all my small lenses and the a55 for my telephotos and other lenses that negate the NEX's smallness.

douglasf13

i actually got an a55 exclusively for manual focus, though i buy all my cameras exclusively for manual focus. i did have to remove that pesky mirror from the camera before i was happy with it though. i have the NEX now for most of my shooting with all my small lenses and the a55 for my telephotos and other lenses that negate the NEX's smallness.
That makes sense to me, although I'm becoming pretty spoiled by focus peaking, and it's odd that it isn't included in the A55.

sebboh

That makes sense to me, although I'm becoming pretty spoiled by focus peaking, and it's odd that it isn't included in the A55.
agreed, i figure sony didn't want to entice people to use manual focus lenses on cameras that they make a full lineup of lenses for. maybe, they just weren't thinking though. i think peaking would be extremely helpful for my birding with the a55, but with my low contrast narrow dof lenses it isn't quite accurate enough (rokkor 58/1.2 etc).

douglasf13

agreed, i figure sony didn't want to entice people to use manual focus lenses on cameras that they make a full lineup of lenses for. maybe, they just weren't thinking though. i think peaking would be extremely helpful for my birding with the a55, but with my low contrast narrow dof lenses it isn't quite accurate enough (rokkor 58/1.2 etc).
Hmm, I don't have any f1.2 lenses, but I find peaking to work fine with my f1.4 lenses.

sebboh

Have you tried boosting sharpening and contrast jpeg settings?
yeah, that makes the peaking more likely to appear, but then it exceeds the dof. i'll have to try various tweaks to see how close i can get it, but right now i don't feel like i can count peaking at portrait distances and f/1.2.