Site Sponsors

Thread: Rediscovering the A55

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rediscovering the A55

We've had a lovely day today, but there was also a rather boozy lunch party. When we got home I drifted around the garden with the a55 and the Sony 70-300G lens . ....

. . . . erm . . . the A77 might be quite interesting!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Rediscovering the A55

It looks like the cat had the boozy afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice. Looks like the cat is saying,"Not again".
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

The famous chicken pics which you know I like. Also the faded rose with light behind.

Post Thanks / Like

All good, but I especially like the frame-filling rooster, and the backlit flowers.

I used my A55 today for some interior photos/vids of a property. The auto-panorama feature again came in super handy (though it had a hard time coping with some of the tight interiors), as did the HD video. Guess I'll have to invest in a super-wide at some point.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good. The first Rooster pic was especially good.

I too use the A55 along with the 1-2 punch of the 16-80 and the 70-300. Portable and top-notch quality. Don't miss my old NEX5, one little bit !
    A900 with a few lenses, flashes etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by roweraay View Post

I too use the A55 along with the 1-2 punch of the 16-80 and the 70-300. Portable and top-notch quality. Don't miss my old NEX5, one little bit !
    I'm not sure I'd call that a portable setup, at least when mentioning NEX in the same sentence. I carry the NEX-5 with a C-Biogon 35, Nokton 50/1.5, Contax G 90 and the Sony 16mm WITH the .75 converter in an Artisan and Artist GCAM-7200. It's a laughably portable setup near the size of a child's lunchbox. For ultimate in portability, the MS Optical Perar 35 on NEX is ridiculous.

Great shots, Jono. Good to see you putting the A55 to use again. It seems a really cool, unique camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    I'm not sure I'd call that a portable setup, at least when mentioning NEX in the same sentence. I carry the NEX-5 with a C-Biogon 35, Nokton 50/1.5, Contax G 90 and the Sony 16mm WITH the .75 converter in an Artisan and Artist GCAM-7200. It's a laughably portable setup near the size of a child's lunchbox. For ultimate in portability, the MS Optical Perar 35 on NEX is ridiculous..
    Oh, I was just commenting on a combination of 16-80 + 70-300 + the camera, providing a 35mm equivalent range from 24mm-450mm.

Not carrying the A55 with something like the 35/1.8 or similar and calling it portable.

You don't have to take every comment on the NEX5 personally. I had it and so did Jono - neither of us have it now and from my perspective, there were good reasons to get rid of it, and those reasons have not changed, as far as I am concerned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Huh, when do I ever take anything personally? I was just responding to your portability comment, but, if I misunderstood you, I apologize. I certainly have no problems with the A55...or any other camera, for that matter. If I decide that I ever need AF again, I may buy an SLT, myself.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    It looks like the cat had the boozy afternoon.
    Hi Terry - well, unless it was sneaking cat-nips, I think it was us that were the boozers!

Quote Originally Posted by ecsh View Post
    Very nice. Looks like the cat is saying,"Not again".
    Joe
    HI Joe - well, they are serial victims - no animal is safe around here!

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    The famous chicken pics which you know I like. Also the faded rose with light behind.
    HI Diane - that's an American Pillar Rose (at least that's what we call it). I was pleased with the final chicken shot - they're not so easy to snap and I thought that one came off well.

Quote Originally Posted by mathomas View Post
    Guess I'll have to invest in a super-wide at some point.
    Thanks Mike
    It's rather frought for APSc - I usually end up with a Sigma - at least they don't break the bank.

Hi there - well, I was beginning to wonder about the Nex5 with the new focus firmware update - but I have to keep giving myself a slap of reality because if I'm going to use manual focus prime lenses, then I'll use the M9 . . . . If I'm not going to use the M9, then I want AF lenses (probably zooms). Which leads inexorably back to an SLR, if only because of the lens options . . . and that leads to the A77 as things stand.

I do agree though - that being the assumption, the 16-80 and the 70-300 make a great pair, lightweight and decent quality.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Huh, when do I ever take anything personally? I was just responding to your portability comment, but, if I misunderstood you, I apologize. I certainly have no problems with the A55...or any other camera, for that matter. If I decide that I ever need AF again, I may buy an SLT, myself.
    I think that's the crucial issue isn't it - if you're going to use AF, you may as well go for an SLT, the size disadvantages aren't that bad . . . but if you're going to use small MF lenses then the NEX is rather a no brainer.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    . . . and that leads to the A77 as things stand.
    Have we pre-ordered this camera that never seems to get launched?

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like the launch date is going to be August.....around a month from now. Even though retail availability might be further out. I personally will wait for the A99 and based on what someone (Sony tester) commented, it is targeted for 2012.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there - well, I was beginning to wonder about the Nex5 with the new focus firmware update - but I have to keep giving myself a slap of reality....
    Yes, I did look at the NEX anew with the new focus-peaking feature.

However, if I am buying a NEX, it will probably be when they come out with a NEX7 (slightly larger body with more access to direct buttons and a built-in EVF and probably a flash - and based on the NeX5's size, a body with such features would be the same size as say a Panasonic GF1) along with the upcoming Zeiss 24mm prime (auto-focus of course)......hopefully the lens will have a leaf-shutter and if so, that would seal the deal for me.

I truly hope they can also come out with the on-sensor PDAF function that Sony seems to have patented (or applied for a patent maybe) a while back.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I've put my name on a list, that's a start!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I have quite similar thoughts about the A77. Have tried the A55 at a show and I was surprised how good it worked, even indoor, my first tests last year in a camera store in Seattle absolutely disappointed me. But this time everything was totally different and a WOW effect.

So if the EVF becomes a 3MP OLED and the sensor has the high ISO performance which is rumored it might get quite interesting and maybe another try to get in Sony Alpha again.

Well I never said never - didn't I?

Peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I have quite similar thoughts about the A77. Have tried the A55 at a show and I was surprised how good it worked, even indoor, my first tests last year in a camera store in Seattle absolutely disappointed me. But this time everything was totally different and a WOW effect.

So if the EVF becomes a 3MP OLED and the sensor has the high ISO performance which is rumored it might get quite interesting and maybe another try to get in Sony Alpha again.

Well I never said never - didn't I?

Peter
    You never did say never Peter . . . never!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I've put my name on a list, that's a start!
    +1

Sold my a900's.

I think the a77 will be a nice upgrade from the only Alpha I have left, a55 and it will help to overcome the long (one year?) wait for the a99.

BTW, I do like the a55 a lot. Only one issue: no focus adjust...

Post Thanks / Like

I think I will get on this list as well

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peterv View Post
    +1

Sold my a900's.

I think the a77 will be a nice upgrade from the only Alpha I have left, a55 and it will help to overcome the long (one year?) wait for the a99.

BTW, I do like the a55 a lot. Only one issue: no focus adjust...
    HI Peter
    I'm considering about my A900, but I think that it's gonna stay, at least until I see what the A77 sensor is like, and whether the lenses can resolve properly on it.

I've not found focus adjust really necessary, my only missing link on the A55 is having the spot exposure follow the focus point . . . but I can live with it. I just hope that the A77 isn't too big.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I think selling the 900 before we even see a camera announced is shooting ones self in the foot. If the new sensor does not come close to what i already have in the 900, i am happy to stay where i am.
    Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think selling the 900 before we even see a camera announced is shooting ones self in the foot. If the new sensor does not come close to what i already have in the 900, i am happy to stay where i am.
    Joe
    Indeed Joe - I think you're right - I wasn't seriously considering selling it, the A900 produces great files, and will presumably continue to do so.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

My A900 will remain firmly in place. It is the A55 that will get replaced, once an A99 gets released, and the A900 will be relegated to backup duties......assuming of course that the A99 will measure up to the expectations from a 2012 high-end Sony camera/sensor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My A900 will remain firmly in place. It is the A55 that will get replaced, once an A99 gets released, and the A900 will be relegated to backup duties......assuming of course that the A99 will measure up to the expectations from a 2012 high-end Sony camera/sensor.
    I can only imagine how good a 135 EXMOR sensor from Sony in 2012 will be. It should be stunning.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can only imagine how good a 135 EXMOR sensor from Sony in 2012 will be. It should be stunning.
    They seem to be on a roll . . .

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More - it does come up with the goods

With the 16-80:

With the 70-300

This is the flycatcher who has decided to live in our garden:

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I used to remember the days when the Canon guys (I used to be one of them) used to jeer at Sony (and Nikon) for the poor high-ISO performance of their sensors.

A lot of water has flown under the bridge since then !

Ever since the release of the Nikon D3, the Canon guys stopped laughing. And every newer iteration of the Sony Exmors are just driving home the point that Sony no longer has to feel apologetic about the performance of their sensors.

Incidentally, my near-mint 35mm f/2 is on sale. I just acquired a 35/1.4 and decided to let go of the 35/2. At 240gms, the 35/2 is a featherweight and its performance is stunning on the A900/A850. The 35/1.4G has a great rendering but the 35/2 is sharper than the 35/1.4, when both are at f/2.

Post Thanks / Like

I think selling the 900 before we even see a camera announced is shooting ones self in the foot.
    Joe

Perhaps.

As for me personally, I'm working on a few projects that I really need to finally finish this year. I started working on these projects using analog Leica M.

I've sold all my M gear too, to finance an S2.
    At the moment I'm on the fence, waiting, thinking... (Jono, you've been there...)

Meanwhile I'm happily shooting these film projects with two like brandnew Minolta Dynax 5 cameras that I bought for 15 (!)
    I can use all my Sony and ZA glass on these nice little machines without any problem.

There's another photographer that offered a reasonable price for the a900's that I would not have used this year. He's very happy, the a900 is a fine camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Jono,

wonderful images, as always

To me it's very inspiring to see how you continuously keep finding new perspectives, angles and subjects so close to your home. Well done!

curious80

I used to remember the days when the Canon guys (I used to be one of them) used to jeer at Sony (and Nikon) for the poor high-ISO performance of their sensors.

A lot of water has flown under the bridge since then !

Ever since the release of the Nikon D3, the Canon guys stopped laughing.

But it is also funny to think that the Nikon guys at that time used to downplay the canon high-iso superiority by saying that high-iso performance isn't everything and canon guys are obsessed about high-iso etc . And even more interestingly for years Nikon guys maintained that DX cameras are the future and Full frame is over-rated and not needed (that was when Nikon had the official stance that they will stick with DX and not go for FF DSLRs, whereas Canon had 5D and 1Ds lineup). And suddenly with the launch of D3, Nikon became the champion of the ultra-high-iso FF sensors. And now the Nikon users take pride in that Its fun to see how things change!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by curious80 View Post
    But it is also funny to think that the Nikon guys at that time used to downplay the canon high-iso superiority by saying that high-iso performance isn't everything and canon guys are obsessed about high-iso etc . And even more interestingly for years Nikon guys maintained that DX cameras are the future and Full frame is over-rated and not needed (that was when Nikon had the official stance that they will stick with DX and not go for FF DSLRs, whereas Canon had 5D and 1Ds lineup). And suddenly with the launch of D3, Nikon became the champion of the ultra-high-iso FF sensors. And now the Nikon users take pride in that Its fun to see how things change!
    I agree with every single bit of what you have written above. That was the exact theme that one used to find, in forum after forum, thread after thread.

The D3, singularly eliminated the "stigma" of both DX and poor-high-ISO performance, from the Nikon lineup, in one fell swoop. For a whole year, all of those Nikon people who were singing hallelujahs about DX, were lining up to buy the D3....and the damn thing was sold out everywhere. Nikon's Sendai factory was churning out 12,000 D3 models per month and for a whole year, it was in short-supply everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

i actually got an a55 exclusively for manual focus, though i buy all my cameras exclusively for manual focus. i did have to remove that pesky mirror from the camera before i was happy with it though. i have the NEX now for most of my shooting with all my small lenses and the a55 for my telephotos and other lenses that negate the NEX's smallness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sebboh View Post
    i actually got an a55 exclusively for manual focus, though i buy all my cameras exclusively for manual focus. i did have to remove that pesky mirror from the camera before i was happy with it though. i have the NEX now for most of my shooting with all my small lenses and the a55 for my telephotos and other lenses that negate the NEX's smallness.
    That makes sense to me, although I'm becoming pretty spoiled by focus peaking, and it's odd that it isn't included in the A55.

Post Thanks / Like

That makes sense to me, although I'm becoming pretty spoiled by focus peaking, and it's odd that it isn't included in the A55.
    agreed, i figure sony didn't want to entice people to use manual focus lenses on cameras that they make a full lineup of lenses for. maybe, they just weren't thinking though. i think peaking would be extremely helpful for my birding with the a55, but with my low contrast narrow dof lenses it isn't quite accurate enough (rokkor 58/1.2 etc).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sebboh View Post
    agreed, i figure sony didn't want to entice people to use manual focus lenses on cameras that they make a full lineup of lenses for. maybe, they just weren't thinking though. i think peaking would be extremely helpful for my birding with the a55, but with my low contrast narrow dof lenses it isn't quite accurate enough (rokkor 58/1.2 etc).
    Hmm, I don't have any f1.2 lenses, but I find peaking to work fine with my f1.4 lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, I don't have any f1.2 lenses, but I find peaking to work fine with my f1.4 lenses.
    yeah, i think it's the low contrast that makes the difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have you tried boosting sharpening and contrast jpeg settings?

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried boosting sharpening and contrast jpeg settings?
    yeah, that makes the peaking more likely to appear, but then it exceeds the dof. i'll have to try various tweaks to see how close i can get it, but right now i don't feel like i can count peaking at portrait distances and f/1.2.

Post Thanks / Like

all photos ooc - out of camera .... Sony A55

Post Thanks / Like

Sony A55 + Tamron 70-300 macro (180-300)

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jonathan,

It seems we must live at the same latitudes, but on opposite ends of the pond! Most everything in your garden is in my backyard too, except the abyssinian. We have different breeds, but yes to the chickens.
    I think Sony is changing many photographers attitudes about DSLR, including mine. I bought a Sony A900 with a Zeiss 24mm-70mm and can't believe the quality! The hinged mirror/ shutter is so butter smooth, and the 25MP sensor is outstanding. Everything about this camera is going to make the others take note. I'm thinking about adding a 85mm 1.4 because the prices are amazing too.
    Last edited by johnnygoesdigital; 9th January 2013 at 06:16.