Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If this is really the Nex-7

Post Thanks / Like

Re: If this is really the Nex-7

Douglas, I agree totally ... It better have a tilting screen the EVF really doesn't interest me much.... I have been spoiled and luv it

Shhhh it was really too close I had the buy it button pushed and was debating the type service contract before I came to my senses and decided to wait for the new NEX7/a77 announcement. Not that the a900 isn't a great FF camera because it is. It's just not the direction a retired guy on a fixed income needs to go when most of his current glass may or may not work on it. I could see $3k worth of new glass purchases needing to be made as well. All my glass works on a NEX or crop frame SLTs.

Post Thanks / Like

Romours are rumours. But... I would buy that rumoured Nex7 in a heartbeat if it was offered to me.
    I certainly don't mind a viewfinder, more pixels are always welcome, a hotshoe instead of the silly screw-in thing doesn't hurt, more control wheels are great, a somewhat larger camera is just right and so on.

Now if the CV 35/1.2 also could appear in real life...

regards,

Jonas

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    Romours are rumours. But... I would buy that rumoured Nex7 in a heartbeat if it was offered to me.
    I certainly don't mind a viewfinder, more pixels are always welcome, a hotshoe instead of the silly screw-in thing doesn't hurt, more control wheels are great, a somewhat larger camera is just right and so on.

Now if the CV 35/1.2 also could appear in real life...

regards,

Jonas
    Absolutely Jonas. If that's what it is its a no brainer

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    I find the Nex-5 to be a sensational little camera. A 24mp version would be hard to resist. In fact I wouldn't even try..
    Exactly. But we shouldn't get grand ideas about hybrid viewfinders. I really don't think they're a starter unless you have a fixed focal length lens. If that NEX 7 image is real, then the viewfinder is an EVF

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Exactly. But we shouldn't get grand ideas about hybrid viewfinders. I really don't think they're a starter unless you have a fixed focal length lens. If that NEX 7 image is real, then the viewfinder is an EVF
    Jono, like you I prefer optical viewfinders, but I can adapt to EVF's and even focusing using the rear screen. If it has a hot shoe, perhaps an accessory OVF could emerge later if there is enough demand.

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My guess is this EVF will be a monumental leap over what we've experienced so far with cameras from Panasonic and now Fuji. Those cameras, as many of you know, had EVF's that came in at the 1.44 MP range and were current (or traditional I suppose) LCDs while the Sony will supposedly be offering an EVF comprised of a 3 MP OLED which from what I can surmise could be nothing short of dazzlingly sharp and clear. Astonishingly close to an OVF with a VERY bright lens.

Combine that with its also rumored 24mp APSC sensor along with a worthy Zeiss optic or two that's been suggested (the 24mm f1.8 is a fabulous start) and hopefully a somewhat quiet shutter and I am very much looking forward to making this my new walkabout and go to camera.
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

Post Thanks / Like

Even a 3 mpixel OLED viewer of NEX7 makes a very good NEX5 place 10.
    24 mpixel is okay, but not soooo urgent.

Spyder

I very much like the design and if the 24MP sensor is noise-clean up to ISO1600 at least, it'll be an excellent companion to my A900 ( currently that job belongs to an A55 ).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Someone on SAR posted a rough size approximation:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The little bit bigger size is probably a good thing with EVF, especially for left eye folks, gives your right hand somewhere to sit other than poking your right eye out.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a good thing for a right eye guy as me as well, I which my Nex 5 was a bit bigger, something more substantial to hold. I wonder if the Nex-7 LCD is the same size or if they have have made it a little smaller? I can easily live with a smaller version as long as the resolution is the same.

/Jonas

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

supposedly 3 inch LCD:

NEX-7
    24,3 Exmor HD sensor
    100-16.000 ISO
    1200 zone metering
    1920×1080 60p/60i/24p AVCHD 2.0 (28Mbit/s) video recording
    3 million dot XGA OLED viewfinder
    3inch 921k TruBlack LCD display (touchscreen)
    10 fps
    20ms startup time
    Built-in flash
    New universal hot shoe
    Battery life for over 400 shots
    Magnesium alloy body

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, I beef up my NEX-5 a little bit with a Ciesta leather half-case, in order to make the grip a little bigger, and it looks like the NEX-7 isn't much bigger than that.

If all of these rumored specs are true, I won't be able to resist this little camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post

If all of these rumored specs are true, I won't be able to resist this little camera.
    I just sent an email to someone saying the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've got to be honest, if the design of the NEX-7 that we've been seeing is legit, I'm having a hard time imagining even a fictional EVF-based camera that would be better. Remarkably good job by Sony, if true.

If those specs are true, this camera is maybe only a 135 sensor away from a dream camera for me (and I don't expect Sony to leave aps-c with NEX anytime soon.) I'll make due with aps-c.

Post Thanks / Like

The EVF and hotshoe is a great addition, hopefully they have all the manual control at the back. On SAR it is said that it will be available in Sept.

Post Thanks / Like

Nex 7 and 24/1.8 will soon be my walk around kit
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Post Thanks / Like

Right now, I'm on the fence. I got the NEX-5 in 2010, so not due for another camera until 2012. However, the NEX-7 is a big step forward in video.

But, dammit, I want GPS. EVF, 60fps and 28Mbps, are all great. I'd really appreciate the EVF on bright days.

But who has time to geotag all these photos? And who here doesn't have way more than a thousand photos? I'm at something like 20,000 photos in my library, and less than a tenth of a percent are geotagged. Who has the time to tag them after the fact (especially with the hard to use tools in aperture?)

Its high time people like Sony built GPS into these cameras. It doesn't need to do anything fancy, just tag the photo.

If an iPhone can do it, the camera certainly should!

So, I'm hoping the rumors are wrong and it has all the above, plus a GPS. Then its a done deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Built in flash and universal hotshoe????

I don't see that in the pic ..... Looks like a Minolta/ Sony hotshoe and if it has a built in flash I can't for sure see it's location unless it is a pop up over on the EVF side.

Guess we will know for sure very soon but I doubt if Sony will abandon their dedicated hotshoe mount when they don't have too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You can see the alleged pop up flash area labeled #5 here:

drxcm

if the specs and rumors are true, I will buy this in a heartbeat. Seems like the perfect platform for legacy lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing about the megapixels-- I'm a one-lens shooter, and the 18-200 gives me enough range while keeping the whole rig small enough that it can live in my coat pocket. Higher megapixels allows me to effectively extend the zoom range of the lens by cropping. On the other hand, the NEX-7 is a bit bigger, but looks like it wouldn't be too big, if I got a slightly bigger coat pocket. On the third hand, I'm not supposed to buy until 2012. On the fourth hand, I likely won't have a chance to buy the NEX-7 until spring 2012 anyway.

Jim, here's the rumored full spec list. The door labeled #5 in the picture douglas posted could be a popup flash, or it could be covering the NEX style accessory port.

Looking at the picture of the front of the camera, it looks like they might have done away with the accessory port system on the NEX... which being bigger might also have--- I can desperately hope-- mic in and audio monitor out.

NEX-7
    24,3 Exmor HD sensor
    100-16.000 ISO
    1200 zone metering
    1920×1080 60p/60i/24p AVCHD 2.0 (28Mbit/s) video recording
    3 million dot XGA OLED viewfinder
    3inch 921k TruBlack LCD display (touchscreen)
    10 fps
    20ms startup time
    Built-in flash
    New universal hot shoe
    Battery life for over 400 shots
    Magnesium alloy body

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, Just noticed #4 in the picture above has a dedicated flash button. Dunno if that confirms its a built in flash, or not, but it seems odd to have a dedicated button for a function that might not be attached to the camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guy's .... I hadn't seen that photo before........ That might mean wireless remote function will work on sony/minolta flashes with it having a pop up

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    Nex 7 and 24/1.8 will soon be my walk around kit
    Ditto.
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

Post Thanks / Like

Happy I've waited before diving into this format. Looking forward to using some M lenses on this!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm .... I do not need this $999 lens ... body for $300 is enough :-)
    Now you get NEX5 body for $299 ... so NEX7 sure will be available for 399-499.

Post Thanks / Like

The NEX-7 is going to retail for around $1,000-$1,200 USD if my information is correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LizaWitz View Post
    The NEX-7 is going to retail for around $1,000-$1,200 USD if my information is correct.
    Good value for the specs.

Nearly the perfect camera for day to day work, if it works as billed. People talk about it as a "walkaround" camera, but with 24mp and Zeiss glass, it could be stretched far further. I already use my Nex-5 more than I envisaged I would.

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Good value for the specs.

Nearly the perfect camera for day to day work, if it works as billed. People talk about it as a "walkaround" camera, but with 24mp and Zeiss glass, it could be stretched far further. I already use my Nex-5 more than I envisaged I would.

Quentin
    Yeah, if the NEX-7 can get close to the output of my A900, I'll be a really happy camper. The sensor size difference is the critical issue, but I'm hoping that the 3 years newer sensor tech makes up for the difference.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, if the NEX-7 can get close to the output of my A900, I'll be a really happy camper. The sensor size difference is the critical issue, but I'm hoping that the 3 years newer sensor tech makes up for the difference.
    I quite agree - my only current worry is the quality of the lenses available, which either seem to be inadequate for a 24mp sensor . . . or too big!

For instance, I've been having a lot of fun with the EP3 with the Zuiko 12 f2 and the Panasonic 20 f1.7 together with the 14-150 zoom (which is half the weight of the 18-200) - the whole shebang is tiny and the quality is pretty good - clearly the NEX 7 has almost every possible advantage over the EP3 . .. except for the available lenses.

For me the A77 is a no-brainer, the Nex-7 will become so if there are decent smallish lenses to go with it.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree about the lens size. Granted, I hope that the rumored new sensor microlenses coax a little more performance out of the current lineup (ie. the 16mm.) Sony would need at least one Samsung NX-like 30/2 lens for me to buy anymore native lenses. I'll jus happily stick to manual lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

I quite agree - my only current worry is the quality of the lenses available, which either seem to be inadequate for a 24mp sensor . . . or too big!

For instance, I've been having a lot of fun with the EP3 with the Zuiko 12 f2 and the Panasonic 20 f1.7 together with the 14-150 zoom (which is half the weight of the 18-200) - the whole shebang is tiny and the quality is pretty good - clearly the NEX 7 has almost every possible advantage over the EP3 . .. except for the available lenses.

For me the A77 is a no-brainer, the Nex-7 will become so if there are decent smallish lenses to go with it.
    You are kind of right Jono, but I was (and still am) pretty frustrated with the build quality of the standard kit lenses coming with the EP3 - 14-45 and 45-150, they come with plastic mounts and do not really feel that I could trust them for long time and heavy use. Sure the 12 and 45 are exceptions and even the older kit lenses were better build quality - had metal mounts at least.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono - I know for your little cameras you want AF but all I can say is add a couple little manual focus primes and with focus peaking in the EVF and I bet it will be sweet!

Post Thanks / Like

I am personally less interested with the size factor and more so with the optical and build quality. As long as it is smaller than my A900 and Zeiss 24/2, it's small enough for me. Also, I'm looking for a camera that doesn't look much like a DSLR. I feel they attract too much attention when street shooting, while a cam that looks like an oversized P&S doesn't. People seem not to mind being photographed by a tourist looking guy holding the cam at arms length, while they get wary when someone points a DSLR at them.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    You are kind of right Jono, but I was (and still am) pretty frustrated with the build quality of the standard kit lenses coming with the EP3 - 14-45 and 45-150, they come with plastic mounts and do not really feel that I could trust them for long time and heavy use. Sure the 12 and 45 are exceptions and even the older kit lenses were better build quality - had metal mounts at least.
    HI Peter
    Simple - stick the kit lenses back in the box and use something else. Actually, I rather suspect that those nasty plastic mounts are almost indestructible, but I don't like them much either.

currently I'm using the 12 f2 zuiko, the 20 f1.7 Pana and the 14-150 Zuiko (which does have a metal mount). I'm dithering about re-buying the 45 macro.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Jono - I know for your little cameras you want AF but all I can say is add a couple little manual focus primes and with focus peaking in the EVF and I bet it will be sweet!
    Hi Terry
    Well, I already have the little manual focus primes (9 of them) but I can't see a good reason for sticking them on a NEX if I have an M9 around (can you?). Mind you, the adaptor with the helical screw for close focus makes things more tempting . . .shooting a 0.95 noctilux on a NEX 7 and focusing down to a few centimetres is an intoxicating proposition!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Terry
    . . .shooting a 0.95 noctilux on a NEX 7 and focusing down to a few centimetres is an intoxicating proposition!
    Just don't inhale or exhale in the process. Might totally screw up your focus.

Some of us need focus peaking just to be in the ballpark of getting the right focus.... and why an M9 insn't part of our kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I already have the little manual focus primes (9 of them) but I can't see a good reason for sticking them on a NEX if I have an M9 around (can you?).
    Video work, high ISO shooting and high FPS work, other than that, let's call it a draw....
    SONY A900
    Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
    My Site|Facebook Fanpage|

Post Thanks / Like

HI Peter
    Simple - stick the kit lenses back in the box and use something else. Actually, I rather suspect that those nasty plastic mounts are almost indestructible, but I don't like them much either.

currently I'm using the 12 f2 zuiko, the 20 f1.7 Pana and the 14-150 Zuiko (which does have a metal mount). I'm dithering about re-buying the 45 macro.
    Jono,

the issue is that these plastic lenses seem to be high IQ - hmmmm and as you said the plastic mount feels extremely well fitting on the metal mount of the EP3, much smoother compared to the metal mount lenses

But the issue is that I am kind of an old school guy (member of a dying race) who have burned into their brain that metal is better and more durable than plastic - which I know is not true for all situations

You are right, I will get a 12 and a 45 and maybe I also will get the 14-150. Isn't the 14-150 a bit heavy?????

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    maybe I also will get the 14-150. Isn't the 14-150 a bit heavy?????
    290 gms I think . . . so, no!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just don't inhale or exhale in the process. Might totally screw up your focus.
    I'm much too old to bother with breathing It's swaying that's my problem
    Some of us need focus peaking just to be in the ballpark of getting the right focus.... and why an M9 insn't part of our kit.
    Actually Terry - that's something which really gets to me. If you want to be able to focus properly with an M9 you practice - it isn't that hard, but it isn't a given. But IT DOES NOT DEPEND ON YOUNG EYES!!!

The number of people I've seen saying that they're getting out of Leica because their eyes aren't up to it anymore . . . and then advertising their M8/M9 here with less than 1000 actuations! I've needed glasses for twenty years (and it certainly does bug me) - but I can still focus the noctilux at 0.95 80% of the time with no magnifier, and no contact lenses and no glasses. If I add a +1.75 dioptre contact lens (which is my correction for distance, it's 2.75 for close up) then I can get it right around 95%.

I don't believe that this would be very different with 20 year old eyes - it's simply practice - of course, if you haven't the time, or don't wish to make the effort, then that's fine . . . .but don't blame your eyes, and don't blame the camera! Rangefinders were always thus.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Utah View Post
    Video work, high ISO shooting and high FPS work, other than that, let's call it a draw....
    Hi Lonnie
    Okay - we'll certainly call it a draw - I don't do much of that stuff (high ISO maybe, but that's good on an M9 at f0.95!), but if I did, then I would.
    From seeing your posts with respect to the A77, I think we pretty much agree with each other about the technology and it's advantages

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm much too old to bother with breathing It's swaying that's my problem

Actually Terry - that's something which really gets to me. If you want to be able to focus properly with an M9 you practice - it isn't that hard, but it isn't a given. But IT DOES NOT DEPEND ON YOUNG EYES!!!

The number of people I've seen saying that they're getting out of Leica because their eyes aren't up to it anymore . . . and then advertising their M8/M9 here with less than 1000 actuations! I've needed glasses for twenty years (and it certainly does bug me) - but I can still focus the noctilux at 0.95 80% of the time with no magnifier, and no contact lenses and no glasses. If I add a +1.75 dioptre contact lens (which is my correction for distance, it's 2.75 for close up) then I can get it right around 95%.

I don't believe that this would be very different with 20 year old eyes - it's simply practice - of course, if you haven't the time, or don't wish to make the effort, then that's fine . . . .but don't blame your eyes, and don't blame the camera! Rangefinders were always thus.
    Agreed. I'm actually seeing something similar with focus peaking, as people complain about its accuracy. With some practice, it works very well, IMO.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono - I know that I could practice. But the reality was that I was slow and I either missed the moment or the people ended up impatiently posing for me. When I nailed it the shots were fantastic, I just didn't like getting home and realizing that my keeper rate wasn't very good which hurts the overall enjoyment factor.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. I'm actually seeing something similar with focus peaking, as people complain about its accuracy. With some practice, it works very well, IMO.
    Very true, my experience is that you see a lot of peaking of edges that are not sharp, even outside the classical dof tables (depending on contrast in the scene). So for focus peaking to work you have to practice and really look for the "maximum peaking" in the spot you want to hit focus.

I've shot Leica rangefinders (even the old IIIf where the split image was a separate hole, as well as the M2), split screen MF SLR's, AF DSLR's and now a focus peaking 3" LCD. None of these systems is fool proof and they all need practice. For me that's part of the fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of lenses... what I'm really hoping for is a NEX version of the SAL50F18 alpha lens. This is retailing for $125 right now, and this is right in my price range.

I'd hope/expect that Sony would make an equivalent of this in e-mount. Maybe 35mm would be better, but I'll take 50mm and the effective 75mm FOV (would be good for "portraits" right?)

Can someone explain to me why this isn't an obvious lens to have adapted, and why it wouldn't be quick or easy to do this and produce the e mount version for less than $200?

Seems like it would be a good choice for a kit lens. But I have the suspicion that if/when they do a fast prime for the e-mount it will be $500. I just don't understand why. I would think that the lower flange distance would make the designs a bit easier and cheaper, not harder, except for the new-design-have-to-recoup-R&D factor.

Am I missing something, or is there likely to be an affordable <f2.0 lens in e mount between 30mm-70mm?

Post Thanks / Like

Liza,

For just about the same money, I'd look into buying an Olympus OM adapter, and a Zuiko 50mm f/1.8. The adapter can be had for right around $30, and with some time and shopping on ebay, the 50mm can be had for around $25 max (you might have to get it bundled with an OM body, but so what). The optics are on par with the SAL50F18, you just have to manual focus. With a little patience, you can pick up the Zuiko 135mm F/3.5 for about $50. Along with the native 16 f/2.8 you've a decent little kit. I'm still looking for a decent price on the OM 35 mm f/2.8 to round things out for myself.

Note: I stated as an olympus shooter as a kid, so that's why I originally got the OM adapter (I still have my OM cameras). I have not been disappointed in the quality of these 30 year old lenses.
    SONY A900
    Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
    My Site|Facebook Fanpage|

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono - I know that I could practice. But the reality was that I was slow and I either missed the moment or the people ended up impatiently posing for me. When I nailed it the shots were fantastic, I just didn't like getting home and realizing that my keeper rate wasn't very good which hurts the overall enjoyment factor.
    Hi Terry
    Obviously your prerogative - I wouldn't dream of criticising anyone for not being bothered with a rangefinder. It was the common practice of blaming one's equipment (eyes in this case) which I find a little irritating!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I also probably needed a diopter adjustment but not sure which one. I don't yet wear reading glasses but some things that used to be simple for me to see aren't anymore (although I don't yet hold things out at arms length distance)

I'm pretty happy right now and don't lust for an M9 so it must have been the right decision for ME.

Back to the NEX7. I should be someone out in the bush watching the wildebeests migrate with no internet access when it is launched. I will miss all the gadget excitement!