The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

If this is really the Nex-7

Ben Rubinstein

It would be interesting though, even if the lenses that are used are mainly legacy and mainly large, for a higher end travel kit, the packing size of two Nex-7 bodies would still be smaller than just two film backs from the two 645 MF cameras which its quality could mainly replace. Lots of ex film shooters on this forum who will still be shaking their heads in amazement at what the modern world is allowing us to do compared to what we used to backpack with.

peterb

I would imagine a 24mp NEX 7 and its 3 MP OLED EVF with the Zeiss 24mm f1.8 attached would be a KILLER walkabout camera.

If the camera ALSO has the BIONZ processor of the A77/A65 that Would be incredible.

With the optics and megapixelage many bases would covered. Shoot. Crop or not. You have plenty of options in one svelte package.

Add the proposed G-worthy zoom and you'd have one amazing compact system.

Quentin_Bargate

Well I find the excellent NEX-5 pretty handy so the rumoured NEX-7 will likely see me largely retire my A900 for most purposes; just leaves the Hassy 50mp on active duty (incidentally I simply don't get the too many pixels argument - the more the merrier provided noise is kept down). 24mp is big enough for stock photograhy without interpolation (assuming you need about 50mb file size for that purpose).

Quentin

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
binning ?

how about 24Mp for pixel binning, like a pocket size Phase One Sensor+ camera ... :angel:

Jim DE

These times of Sony new product rumors can and have been periods of much speculation and in some case's anticipation. The poor a700 users have been waiting for a replacement camera for what seems like eon's and many have since left the flock because of these delays and false rumors. I personally have gotten very tired of this type "business model" and really think it is counter-productive in the end.

That said, IF these rumors become a reality and these new offerings will be avilable in the last 1/4 of this year I know someone who will be giving himself a christmas present this year ;). The problem is ....... will it be just one?

As most know here I really enjoy my NEX 5 and legacy glass and shoot this camera 95% of the time. I only use a dSLR for flash work and long telephoto shots which are rare situations for my needs. Having a crop sensor of 24mp with my 70-400G lens attached to it does have some significant interest for me though for wildlife work if low light/high iso quality is good.

If the NEX7 can use legacy glass and focus A mount glass as fast as a Sony dSLR my choice is simple. If it is still slow to focus A mount glass like the NEX5 then I will have to consider if I will buy both.

Guess all we can do is wait and see what and when Sony will offer it's new product lines for 2011. Should be an interesting year .........

Ben Rubinstein

I think next year in general will be very interesting as all the delayed releases from this year come at the same time as the releases already scheduled for next year.

douglasf13

Jim DE, while I can't say for sure what tricks Sony has up their sleeves, I don't expect PDAF lenses to ever be fast on a CDAF system. They're just not very compatible. Granted, if Sony releases a sensor with PDAF on-sensor, that could be a differed story.

Jim DE

Douglas, photography through my lifetime has gone through many amazing transitions and huge innovations. I really don't get too involved in these technologies but enjoy using most of them. When the NEX5 hit the market all I saw it as was a digital back for nearly every lens I have acquired over the past nearly 50 years. I took to this camera like a duck to water. IQ has been exceptional and it has fit my need almost to a T. The two weaknesses for me has been flash and long tele wildlife shooting (these things are things that I do rarely but when I need to .. I need to kind of items).

Many want to complain about not having a EVF and the poor lens selection but neither of these were deal breakers for me ( though I will get the Zeiss 24 as soon as it comes out and would love a Zeiss version in a 13-16mm focal length as well) all and all the Nex5 has been better than I had ever initially hoped for.

If I could ask for anything in a upgraded version product it would be that it addressed the flash/tele limitations so I could just carry 2 NEX's instead of a NEX and a dSLR when afield. ;)

douglasf13

I hear you Jim, those are my thoughts exactly. Granted, I don't use flash or shoot tele/wildlife, so I am thrilled with the system. Really, a higher megapixel sensor is what I'm most interested in with NEX, especially if it gives me resolution close to my A900. I don't really need the camera body itself to be any different.

Jim DE

:) ... Now we're talking for those rare times we need AF with reach :)

If they could just make a device to set in the flash socket that would trigger the Sony wireless flashes it would be bye bye slt/dSLR for me ;)

Sounds like they are moving to what guys like you and I initially saw the NEX as: a universal digital back for every lens we own.

If that a to e rumored adapter come's to reality you can bet I am on the list.

Last edited:

douglasf13

Yeah, I would imagine that Sony eventually fusing SLT and NEX with a device like this will lead to some really interesting modularity options. Imagine removable handgrips, viewfinders, SLT adapters, etc. that can all be removed to leave a small NEX camera, when needed. Pretty cool.

Lonnie Utah

:If they could just make a device to set in the flash socket that would trigger the Sony wireless flashes it would be bye bye slt/dSLR for me ;)
All someone needs to do is engineer a "regular" sony hot shoe that screws into the accessory socket....

Jim DE

True Lonnie but I'll take any method that I can use a big gun when needed. I don't care how they choose to do this

douglasf13

I would have to wonder about how sturdy a big, Alpha flash would be on an adapter screwed into the accessory port. It may take a more sturdy, NEX-7 type camera to allow such a thing, but who knows?

Lonnie Utah

I would have to wonder about how sturdy a big, Alpha flash would be on an adapter screwed into the accessory port. It may take a more sturdy, NEX-7 type camera to allow such a thing, but who knows?
You are right, but the HVL F20AM would fit nicely and give you the ability to trigger all other sony wireless products. It would also allow you to put one of the Chinese ebay wireless radio triggers or other similar option on there. I'm sure it would also require a firmware update...