The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

If this is really the Nex-7

Godfrey

Well I also probably needed a diopter adjustment but not sure which one. I don't yet wear reading glasses but some things that used to be simple for me to see aren't anymore (although I don't yet hold things out at arms length distance)

I'm pretty happy right now and don't lust for an M9 so it must have been the right decision for ME.
I've been wearing glasses since I was in fourth grade. Luckily, most of the cameras I've owned either work well with my glasses or have enough diopter adjustment that I don't need to see very well to make the focusing work fine. Never had any trouble with the Leica M type rangefinder (the older IIIf rangefinder ... forget it! could never see the double image with that one) even without my glasses at all.

I'm looking forward to the focus peaking and full-screen magnification that the GXR's A12 Camera Mount will offer. They'll make things even easier.

I do still want an M9. But if the "GXR-M" works out as well as it looks it will, I'll easily be able to wait until next year before going there... Looks like I might have to anyway if I actually want to buy a new Leica M or Zeiss ZM lens!! What's up with that?

Back to the NEX7. I should be someone out in the bush watching the wildebeests migrate with no internet access when it is launched. I will miss all the gadget excitement!
Don't worry, I'm sure plenty of folks here will pick up the slack for you. ;-)

jonoslack

Well I also probably needed a diopter adjustment but not sure which one. I don't yet wear reading glasses but some things that used to be simple for me to see aren't anymore (although I don't yet hold things out at arms length distance)
Hah - now - here you go blaming your eyes! Having played with magnifiers and dioptres I'm going to revert to my original point - it's practice, not perhaps practice you want to do, but practice is what does it, not dioptres.

I'm pretty happy right now and don't lust for an M9 so it must have been the right decision for ME.

Back to the NEX7. I should be someone out in the bush watching the wildebeests migrate with no internet access when it is launched. I will miss all the gadget excitement!
I think most of us would swap!

Have a fantastic trip

LizaWitz

For just about the same money, I'd look into buying an Olympus OM adapter, and a Zuiko 50mm f/1.8.
Thanks for the advice. If I was willing to focus, that's exactly what I'd do. I'm a fan of the OM system from way back as well, though for me it was always an object of desire more than something I ever got to own.

I bought the NEX-5 as a video camera, though having such a nice big sensor (previous cameras were 1/3") has resulted in me taking a lot more stills. I need auto-focus and optical steady shot for video.

Lisa, a 50mm lens for NEX is one of the rumored lenses to be announced on the 24th of this month.
Looks like it is just what I might be looking for. I saw the claim that it would have optical steady shot. If this is true it will explain why it is more expensive than the alpha mount version, and make the lens a potential no-brainer for me.

This year it looks like we'll be doing video interviews of people, in natural light using a 2 camera setup. Possibly the 16mm and the 50mm would be the lenses we use.

Amin

Can the Summilux really be as bad on the NEX-7 as Reichmann showed? If he weren't such an experienced reviewer, I'd think misfocus. Lack of custom microlenses explains the poor edge performance, but the center is awful even at f/4 :confused:.

jonoslack

Can the Summilux really be as bad on the NEX-7 as Reichmann showed? If he weren't such an experienced reviewer, I'd think misfocus. Lack of custom microlenses explains the poor edge performance, but the center is awful even at f/4 :confused:.
HI Amin
Odd isn't it - I've got that lens, and it's stupid sharp in the centre - I can't see how it can be to do with the microlenses either.

If someone would lend me a NEX 7 then I could do the test? :)

Jonas

I see no reason that Reichmann can't do mistakes?

It seems as he got hung up on the microlens idea and then forgot it's not about the center if the sensor and then he doesn't see he has misfocused the series of images taken with the Leica. He has tricked himself (something I know a thing or two about...).

What's surprising is;

a) that Reichmann didn't see his error after having posted the article
b) many thinks he has done it all correctly

etrigan63

MR is human, and therefore fallible. Maybe his adapter was not mounted correctly or his lens fell out of alignment jostling around in his bag. Who knows? He should have looked into it more if there are plenty of examples of lesser M-lenses like the CV glass doing a bang-up job on the NEX. Probably deadline pressure.

Jonas

I still think he tricked himself. A deadline pressure risking his reputation this way? That doesn't sound clever.

Anyway, he has posted an update and says he will do it over again.

jonoslack

MR is human, and therefore fallible. Maybe his adapter was not mounted correctly or his lens fell out of alignment jostling around in his bag. Who knows? He should have looked into it more if there are plenty of examples of lesser M-lenses like the CV glass doing a bang-up job on the NEX. Probably deadline pressure.
Hi there
Seems to me with the focusing on the NEX that the lens being mounted badly or out of alignment doesn't really tell the story - if it's in focus on the screen/EVF, then it's in focus.
It's hard to conceive how it happened - I mean, if it didn't look i focus on the screen at 10x magnification he might have said something
It's a Mystery :D

etrigan63

So lets chalk this up to a bad sample of something (camera, firmware, adapter, lens, user or any combination of the above) and not extrapolate any findings until MR has another shot with the kit. (And being MR, it is highly likely that he will get another go at it.)

Jonas

So lets chalk this up to a bad sample of something (camera, firmware, adapter, lens, user or any combination of the above) and not extrapolate any findings until MR has another shot with the kit. (And being MR, it is highly likely that he will get another go at it.)
Oh... it has to be the adapter. Or the firmware perhaps, maybe it understands Zeissish only?!

/Jonas

jonoslack

Carlos / Jonas
It's hard to see what could possibly make that lens that soft in the middle except a focusing error - after all, the adapter is only a hole!
My gob is thoroughly smacked!

Jonas

I posted reply #110 Jono. My last one should have a smiley for sarcasm added to it. I know, one shouldn't try sarcasm in a forum. I'm sorry.

etrigan63

Carlos / Jonas
It's hard to see what could possibly make that lens that soft in the middle except a focusing error - after all, the adapter is only a hole!
My gob is thoroughly smacked!
Maybe when he wasn't looking, someone smeared the lens with Vaseline. :D

Gio

instead of making jokes over MR some people talked to him about the result of the Test. MR has added an Update to the impression:

"I have been told by some people that the test below may be flawed, and that the 24mm Summulux was slightly defocused because it couldn't be that bad on-center. This is quite possible, since this wasn't performed under controlled studio conditions, and the lens may well have become accidentally defocused during handling. I intend to repeat this test as soon as I can put this combination of gear together again. I regret any confusion this may have caused."

etrigan63

No one was making jokes at his expense, Gio. It's just very unusual for a meticulous person like MR to have something like this happen to him for no apparent reason. His response leads me to believe that he was blaming the camera for the poor performance, when we have seen tests with similar lenses come out quite spectacular.

Humor is used here to lighten the sense of frustration at this conundrum.

I would have happily e-mailed him about the article if I could find his contact info on his rather 80's style website.