Site Sponsors

Thread: Crazy? Canon 1DIV to Sony A900

Twoshoes

Crazy? Canon 1DIV to Sony A900

A quick introduction as I don't often post here. I'm a studio and location fashion / beauty photographer based out of Australia and have always used Canon.

After progressing a long the Canon line I finally ended up with the 1D Mark IV and it felt as though it was everything I wanted. After a few months using this camera I love MOST of it, but there's a few very annoying and potentially job threatening problems.

I was just wondering if I'd be crazy to possibly throw in my $12,000 Canon kit and jump ship to 2 x A900 with say 24-70CZ, 135CZ and (insert wide prime here).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated,
    Luke.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crazy? Canon 1DIV to Sony A900

As a former Canon shooter (1DS, 1DSMKII, 5D), I have zero regrets at getting rid of all of that gear and now shooting Sony (A900 + CZ24-70 + CZ16-35 + CZ135/1.8 + CZ85/1.4 etc). Would welcome feedback from the others who have done the same.
    A900 with a few lenses, flashes etc.

Post Thanks / Like

if you go through the Sony forum threads, you will see a number of people here who have done much the same; in my case, from Nikon D3/D3s to Sony. I had the 135CZ, but too long for my studio work. I use the 85CZ, Sony 50/1.4, 35/2, , 24/2.8, 100/2 and 100/2.8 macro, and a Mirex T/S adapter on two Mamiya lenses (35 and 45).

The files are the best I have seen in FF; I use C1Pro6 now (but Aperture does a good job, too).

Before you jump ship, though, can you elaborate non the "potentially job threatening problems"—depending on what they are, the Sony may or may not suit.

cheers, KL

Twoshoes

I really appreciate the responses. The potentially job threatening problems is probably a bit of an exaggeration on my behalf but seeing as though I'd put so much money into a new camera (before then I was using a used 1dsII and 1DII combination) I really wanted something reliable. The Canon has been anything but. First I had lens / camera communication issues, and on my last shoot I had an AF system that was playing up under really basic shooting conditions.

Faulty unit or not, I've had a few problems here and there since first recieving the 1DIV.

Admittedly my line of shooting problem doesn't require a 1series body but I really fell for them.

What has me really interested in the Sony is the great reviews, but more than anything Zeiss AF glass. I don't need a huge lens lineup (I'd probably be set with a 24-70 and 135) and financially I can get a lot more value out of a switch.

As far as bodies go, I've read a lot of discussion of A900 vs A850. Currently there's an A900 on ebay here with just shy of 3000 shots @ just over $2000 which looks very inviting.

I appreciate all your help,
    Luke

Andrea Buso

Hello, I went from 1ds II to Sony a900 when it was introduced in 2008.
    I did many fashion editorials without a single glitch, most of the times shooting between 2k actuations per job/day.
    The rate of pictures I get in focus is close to 99%, especially after the FW upgrade.
    I'm very happy with it and I'm especially happy with what I see as end results.
    Most of the work in this gallery was done with the a900 (few exceptions of Phase and canon)
    http://andreabuso.com/fashion/fashio...x_fashion.html
    it is not a matter of the pictures them selves, that are significantly post produced, but it is matter of having done the same kind of work without a single problem, that normally are done with other camera brands.

Post Thanks / Like

My last Canon camera was the 1Ds2 with over a dozen adapted Zeiss Contax lenses. Very happy with the current set up but need more Zeiss alpha lenses.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I changed to the A900 with Zeiss ZA lenses from a Leica R9 with DMR digital back and a host of Leica R lenses over 2 1/2 year ago. I have never regretted it and I expect to keep it until either it packs in or Sony introduce something better! It will have to be darned good though.

Some of the Sony and Minolta G lenses are not to be disregarded either.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is it worth waiting for a month to see what Sony finally puts into the A77?
    I know the viewfinder on the A900 is really nice and I also really liked the camera but the newer sensor technology is pretty darn good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Twoshoes View Post
    A quick introduction as I don't often post here. I'm a studio and location fashion / beauty photographer based out of Australia and have always used Canon.

After progressing a long the Canon line I finally ended up with the 1D Mark IV and it felt as though it was everything I wanted. After a few months using this camera I love MOST of it, but there's a few very annoying and potentially job threatening problems.

I was just wondering if I'd be crazy to possibly throw in my $12,000 Canon kit and jump ship to 2 x A900 with say 24-70CZ, 135CZ and (insert wide prime here).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated,
    Luke.
    I still think that the A900 is the 135 camera I'd buy if deciding today. Great build, great color, great resolution, great viewfinder, great center-point AF, Zeiss AF lenses and built-in stabilization.

I will say that, as a studio photographer, keep in mind that Sony uses a proprietary hot shoe. You can get around nearly any issue from this by using a little adapter, but there are certain Pocketwizard features and products that are usable only with Canon and Nikon.

Good luck!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Same experiences as many others here.

After a long history with Canon ending with the 1DsMKIII/1DMKII which disappointed me in terms of IQ requiring adapted Leica R and CZ lenses ... plus the 1DMKIII had all those focusing issues, I switched to Nikon D3X/D3 combo ... which were more reliable but the D3X just took to much post to get decent files ... I then looked to the Sony A900 because it was FF, but mostly because of the Zeiss AF lenses ... the camera turned out to be a pleasant surprise.

The A900 viewfinder was wonderful, but most importantly, the files straight out of the camera rocked ... reducing post work considerably. Handling is swift and the AF is very accurate ... and now faster since the last firmware update. Not as fast as Canon or Nikon, but close enough for me. The odd looking speed-light is actually a stroke of genius ... while the mount can be a PITA when using radios requiring an adapter, it really promotes easy and very fast/secure mounting.

I use a pair of A900s mostly for wedding work and (knock wood), neither have failed me despite the demands of wedding work for the past 3 wedding seasons. I do use other cameras, but when I absolutely must get the shot with no second chances, I grab the Sony.

I wish Sony had enabled parallel shooting of RAW files to the dual cards like Canon & Nikon ... and a new ZA 35/1.4 would be most welcome as a companion lens to the ZA 85/1.4 ... plus I do wish Lightroom would publish lens profile corrections for the ZA optics ... especially the 85/1.4 which exhibits some annoying CA.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    ..I do wish Lightroom would publish lens profile corrections for the ZA optics ... especially the 85/1.4 which exhibits some annoying CA.
    I use lightroom and DXO, and the lens correction modules of DXO are truly exceptional and they have lens correction modules for all of the CZ lenses when paired with the A900. The UI is a bit kludgy however.
    A900 with a few lenses, flashes etc.

Twoshoes

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'm so close to switching I'm getting excited.

My initial set up will include an A900, 24-70, 85 1.4 and 135 1.8 and I'll be adding a second A900 when the opportunity for one comes up.

I mainly shoot studio / location fashion but there's a few wedding opportunities coming up for me.

I'm really looking forward to having reliable sharp glass and nice balanced body.

I really appreciate the responses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not to throw a wet blanket on the party, but wouldn't it make a lot more sense to buy a (used?) 1DsIII first to see if that solves your issues?

Regarding the Pocket Wizard issue, if you use ettl, you will discover you are SOL. As for the goofy hot shoe, instead of getting an adapter for the camera, I got one for the flash and one for the PW transmitter. When I got the camera, I thought the hot shoe was the dumbest thing I'd seen. Hot shoes work, why fix what's not broken? After using the Sony hot shoe for a while I realized it's genius, even if it is proprietary. Including a memory stick slot instead of SD or two CF slots ... not so genius.

The Sony AF is definitely not fast, but it never misses. The only real surprise I've had with the camera is shooting fireworks has been an incredible challenge in the way the sensor records light, but I'll know for next time. A part of me is strongly considering switching to Canon because we have standardized on Canon for video production, the Sony hasn't really given me a good reason to switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Green View Post
    Not to throw a wet blanket on the party, but wouldn't it make a lot more sense to buy a (used?) 1DsIII first to see if that solves your issues?
    A local lifestyle travel company wasn't happy with the images from a photographer they used and is using me to fix the images. Now that I have some hands on time with 1DsIII files, just get the Sony. There's more "there" there.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, I'm curious to learn more about your experience with the 1Ds3 files and how they differ from the Sony. Thanks!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There's more "there" there.
    love it (and agree)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

A caveat about the future

Just a novice hobbyist. Got an A700 and can also report fine files out of the camera, especially distribution of dynamic range. It's a pleasure to operate, too. And for a hobbyist, the old Minolta Maxxum lenses are nice.

The only flag to raise is: where will you be in two, five, ten years? It appears that Sony is walking away from the ergonomics of A700, A850, A900. The A77 sensor is probably better, but Sony seems to be applying a cost-saving attack to the pleasure of the controls.

I guess this issue is why professionals sign up with Nikon and Canon. These companies want the pro market for decades to come. Sony ... signs of the opposite. Hope I'm wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    Bill, I'm curious to learn more about your experience with the 1Ds3 files and how they differ from the Sony. Thanks!
    Edward, I'm not sure what your experience is with different cameras. The files from the Canon both required a little more work and seemed a little more fragile than the Sony files. The difference wasn't huge, and definitely not like the difference between DSLR and MFD, but it was there. The Sony files just have more meat to them. The Canon files weren't fragile in the same way that Nikon D2x files were, but more so than the Sony. Leica files are still another level better than the Sony.

All that said, I do not know the photographer who shot the files and whether he is any good or not. I can tell you that the compositions left a lot to be desired, he did some really stupid things with lighting, IMO the 24-70L lens he used should be sent back for calibration, and I'm being brought in to try to salvage the shoot. Still, to get the tonal range needed for the final image, I had to process the raws into a highlight, mid tone and shadow tiff in Capture One and blend the images in Photoshop. I am virtually certain that in the same conditions on the Sony I could have done everything in the raw processor. Most of their photographers shoot with either a 5DII or 1DsIII, so I will have some more experience with those files in the future.

The Canon does better with shadows than the Sony. Either the Sony holds highlights better, or just clips more naturally where the Canon tends to lose the reds first resulting in blotchy yellow skin that is virtually unfixable. If this makes any sense, processing the Canon files is more of a technical exercise where processing the Sony files is more of an artistic exercise. I suppose what that means is with the Sony files you have a lot more room for artistic decision in the raw processing stage where the Canon files feel almost like jpegs in that they are somewhat locked in. I may try to download DPP and see what that can do for the Canon files.

That said, I am still considering a switch back to Canon for reasons that have nothing at all to do with image quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles2 View Post
    The only flag to raise is: where will you be in two, five, ten years? It appears that Sony is walking away from the ergonomics of A700, A850, A900. The A77 sensor is probably better, but Sony seems to be applying a cost-saving attack to the pleasure of the controls.

I guess this issue is why professionals sign up with Nikon and Canon. These companies want the pro market for decades to come. Sony ... signs of the opposite. Hope I'm wrong.
    And that pretty much sums up my concerns with Sony and committing to the platform. I can't tell you what the Canon 1DsV will look like, but I can be pretty certain that it will be a full frame 35 mm chip with a nice optical viewfinder, it will be a tank but can handle anything I can dish out. I know I've said this all before, but while the Sony A900 is a fantastic camera I hesitate to commit without knowing what the future holds. Swapping systems is just too expensive. I've minimized the damage in moving from Canon to Leica to Sony because the old Leica glass is relatively portable, but it is no longer meeting my needs.

Post Thanks / Like

Edward, I'm not sure what your experience is with different cameras. The files from the Canon both required a little more work and seemed a little more fragile than the Sony files. The difference wasn't huge, and definitely not like the difference between DSLR and MFD, but it was there. The Sony files just have more meat to them. The Canon files weren't fragile in the same way that Nikon D2x files were, but more so than the Sony. Leica files are still another level better than the Sony.

All that said, I do not know the photographer who shot the files and whether he is any good or not. I can tell you that the compositions left a lot to be desired, he did some really stupid things with lighting, IMO the 24-70L lens he used should be sent back for calibration, and I'm being brought in to try to salvage the shoot. Still, to get the tonal range needed for the final image, I had to process the raws into a highlight, mid tone and shadow tiff in Capture One and blend the images in Photoshop. I am virtually certain that in the same conditions on the Sony I could have done everything in the raw processor. Most of their photographers shoot with either a 5DII or 1DsIII, so I will have some more experience with those files in the future.

The Canon does better with shadows than the Sony. Either the Sony holds highlights better, or just clips more naturally where the Canon tends to lose the reds first resulting in blotchy yellow skin that is virtually unfixable. If this makes any sense, processing the Canon files is more of a technical exercise where processing the Sony files is more of an artistic exercise. I suppose what that means is with the Sony files you have a lot more room for artistic decision in the raw processing stage where the Canon files feel almost like jpegs in that they are somewhat locked in. I may try to download DPP and see what that can do for the Canon files.

That said, I am still considering a switch back to Canon for reasons that have nothing at all to do with image quality.

And that pretty much sums up my concerns with Sony and committing to the platform. I can't tell you what the Canon 1DsV will look like, but I can be pretty certain that it will be a full frame 35 mm chip with a nice optical viewfinder, it will be a tank but can handle anything I can dish out. I know I've said this all before, but while the Sony A900 is a fantastic camera I hesitate to commit without knowing what the future holds. Swapping systems is just too expensive. I've minimized the damage in moving from Canon to Leica to Sony because the old Leica glass is relatively portable, but it is no longer meeting my needs.
    unfortunately I only can back most of this! Unfortunately, because Nikon & Canon are both more down the Pro line with bodies and lenses than Sony. The RAW files (I used to have all 3 brands) were all ok for me. So I could not say I was SO much more happy with Sony RAWs, but I was much happier with Canon and Nikon bodies and lenses.

Having said that, for me the best RAWs and JPEGs come out of the Olympus E5. Although this is the case I am not so happy with the whole system, as their pro grade lenses are of course really heavy and bulky but this only for the 43 size sensor. Which lacks far behind any FF sensor and the future of FF sensors. I do not expect that 43 will be able to extend above 18MP in the future with reasonable high ISO and DR performance, while FF sensors will get in the range of 30+ MP plus good high ISO and DR.

So my future bet would rather be on one of the 2 big gorillas - Nikon or Canon. I am simply waiting to see what these 2 bring to the table in the next year and then decide where to go. And I also have in mind to get rid of my MFD system then, I know there are differences, but end of the day what counts for me is useability, flexibility and this mostly of 1 DSLR system. So this rules MFD out. Maybe a high res back on a tech camera, but that is a different story!

So the future is quite interesting - Canon or Nikon ? or still Sony ????

Post Thanks / Like

My last Canon body was the 1Ds2, not exactly the latest technology, and before that the 5D. My first complaint with the Canon raw files echos what Bill said. I found them to be fragile and didn't take much manipulations to start to look bad. I find the A900 much better in this respect, and I don't even haven to manipulate them much, because they look very close to what I want out of the camera.

Post Thanks / Like

This is an interesting thread...I'm definitely going to keep an eye on it.

I've been totally reevaluating my kit this summer, selling things I don't use, and refining the things I do.

I'm currently shooting a d300 and mamiya AFDIII+leaf aptus 22. I'm sort of auditioning the mfdb, to see if it's really something that fits my shooting. I bought it extremely reasonably, so can take quite a bit of equity out if I decide against keeping it.

I'm watching rumors, and am looking forward to this fall's announcements. I want to move up from 12mp dx for a host of reasons. I definitely can't afford a d3x style body...so it's wait and see what they do with the d700 replacement. I'd love the latest greatest sensor, but I'm doubtful nikon is goin to put that in that body first. Though I'd be thrilled. It looks like Sony will be really packing their next FF chip, but I'm concerned about the future with them. I don't need pro support, and I'd be perfectly fine with the current ZA lens lineup. It's just disconcerting to make a big change like that when you're betting on the underdog. :/

It's an interesting conundrum.
    --David

curious80

Sony has not so far targeted the pro market and even going forward it does not seem to be their focus. But at the same time it does allow Sony to "innovate" more as they don't have a "pro user base" to keep happy and thus don't have to stick to traditional designs. As an example I believe that despite the beauty of the OVF's, EVF's will eventually replace the OVFs and can offer many advantages to the professional market as well.

As an example, imagine a consolidated 1Ds VI from canon which is say a full frame 5-6 fps camera like current 1Ds series. But with the flick of a switch it turns to APS-H mode like current 1D series offering the extra "reach" and higher fps (10, 12 whatever) for the action shooters. With the EVF the viewfinder automatically adjusts to show the APS-H view for framing, making this scheme very practical and feasible. However due to the traditional pro user base, it will be difficult for canon to launch such a camera even if they technically believe it to be the right thing to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by curious80 View Post
    As an example I believe that despite the beauty of the OVF's, EVF's will eventually replace the OVFs and can offer many advantages to the professional market as well.
    Perhaps, but I have yet to find a EVF that works well in bright sun.

However due to the traditional pro user base, it will be difficult for canon to launch such a camera even if they technically believe it to be the right thing to do.
    Not really an issue. 1Ds viewfinder with 1D crop marks would work fine. Anyone who has shot with Leica (M or DMR) is used to this. Didn't the Nikon D2x work this way too?

Post Thanks / Like

I also think EVFs will be the future, they are cheaper to manufacture and work well in consumer cameras. But even as an ambitious amateur I would not be happy with an EVF, and as a Pro I must say that EVFs are simply far away from being where they finally should be.

So shoot all those years with a suboptimal EVF? Not what I want.

And WRT to system - I have changed systems so often that I am happy if I find one which serves my needs for the next 3 years. And then it would be ok to move to the next system - say from Canon to Sony or Nikon.

There is no single vendor offering the perfect system and their lineup constantly changes. When trying to adjust to the best suitable system this means constant change At least I gave up on this one long time ago

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've said it before, but, as someone who has shot everything from Hasselblad to the A900, I find the live histogram and manual focusing of the LCD/EVF so valuable that I'm not sure I'd even want to go back to a digital camera with an OVF. I would have never guessed that I would say such a thing a year or two ago.

curious80

Perhaps, but I have yet to find a EVF that works well in bright sun.
    What problems did you face with EVFs in bright sun? Personally I didn't have any problem using the Panasonic G1 EVF in bright sun.

Not really an issue. 1Ds viewfinder with 1D crop marks would work fine. Anyone who has shot with Leica (M or DMR) is used to this. Didn't the Nikon D2x work this way too?
    Most professional Canikon users are not leica M users. And unlike Leica users, Canikon professional users do need to use lenses longer than 90mm This would hardly be a satisfactory way to frame for DSLR users. I believe D700 and D3 do operate this way in 1.6x mode. However the small view within the 1.6x framelines would rival a 4/3rds viewfinder in its small-ness . An EVF based approach would on the other hand keep the full-size and precise 100% view in any crop mode.

In any case you have just proven my point right with your comment - that the traditional user base resists such drastic changes like OVF to EVF etc. Sony does not have any such traditional professional user base so they have less limitations in terms of what new avenues to explore.

Post Thanks / Like

I am kinda exactly in Douglas's camp with this. I have gotten very comfortable with live view in my photography and no matter how good the camera if I moved to one without live view I would feel like I had lost something too valuable and would not make the move. I have shot photos since the early 60's and would also never believed I would feel this way even a few years back.

I can deal with the LCD/EVF issues that current models exhibit better than not having LCD/EVF at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    I've said it before, but, as someone who has shot everything from Hasselblad to the A900, I find the live histogram and manual focusing of the LCD/EVF so valuable that I'm not sure I'd even want to go back to a digital camera with an OVF. I would have never guessed that I would say such a thing a year or two ago.
    I still feel disconnected with an EVF, I can talk about the ones from Olympus PEN and Panasonic GH2 - arguably very good, but still far away from what I would like to see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Doug, I'm with you on Live View in a studio or somewhat controlled situations. That said, they don't work all the time in all situations and like I said, I can't see the LCD's that well in bright sun. Granted my only experience there is the Sony and Panasonic GF1. That is one of the reasons I like Canon, the ability to seamlessly switch back and forth. I'm sure current Nikons do it too, but no experience there.

I'm being selfish and talking about my needs and how/where I shoot, which I know are not the same as everyone else.

To your point Doug, I love live view when in a situation where it works. It makes me feel like I'm shooting a Mamiya RB again.

What problems did you face with EVFs in bright sun? Personally I didn't have any problem using the Panasonic G1 EVF in bright sun.
    I can't see the screen well enough to compose a shot.

Most professional Canikon users are not leica M users. And unlike Leica users, Canikon professional users do need to use lenses longer than 90mm This would hardly be a satisfactory way to frame for DSLR users.
    While I see your point in theory, I have a hard time seeing it in practice. I shot for two years or more with a Leica DMR on lenses from 15 to 400 and the crop screen never bothered me. That said, I have never shot sports or anything fast moving using Live View with a Hoodman loupe taped to the LCD. Perhaps that would change my mind.

In any case, the OP asked whether moving from Canon to Sony for his studio photography needs made sense and we have strayed pretty far from that.

curious80

I can't see the screen well enough to compose a shot.
    We are talking about EVFs, not LCD screens. Unlike Gf1 and Sony NEX, cameras like Panasonic G1/G2/GH1/GH2 or Sony A55 etc have OVF-like electronic viewfinders which avoid this problem and feel like OVF's in many ways.

In any case, the OP asked whether moving from Canon to Sony for his studio photography needs made sense and we have strayed pretty far from that.
    Agreed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On the OVF/EVF issue, surely Fujifilm have shown the way with a switchable OVF/EVF on their excellent little X100? If this idea could be designed into a conventional DSLR we would have the best of both worlds.

I could live with the next generation A900 if it had a combined OVF/EVF but not if it just had some sort of EVF only.

Even with the X100 I find that I lose the "immediacy" of the target image in EVF mode so I usually frame in EVF and immediately switch to OVF without taking my eye off the subject and just as I press the shutter release. For me it works!
    Cheers, Dave

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I'm concerned, I have no particular preference for OVF or EVF, I just want something that works. When the A99 is released, I will take a very close look at the VF and see if it works for me or not.

I also should consider if a switch to another brand that offers OVF makes sense or not. It would be a big disappointment to switch to Canikon only to find out that I bought the last OVF model. In the long run, they will all switch to EVF, whether we like it or not.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you find the viewfinder of A900 compared to other fullframe from Canon and Nikon? What is your experience in using manual focusing with Sony A900 compared to Canon/Nikon?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The A900 viewfinder is 100% view, what you see is what you get. It is also very bright and clear. Many consider it the class leading viewfinder amongst pro use DSLR's. I can only compare it with my previous Leica R9 viewfinder which was very, very good but the A900 is much better!
    Cheers, Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by my_photography View Post
    How do you find the viewfinder of A900 compared to other fullframe from Canon and Nikon? What is your experience in using manual focusing with Sony A900 compared to Canon/Nikon?
    All I know is that when I hand my A900 over to my Nikon and Cannon buddies, more often than not, their first word when they look thru the viewfinder is, "Wow."
    SONY A900
    Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
    My Site|Facebook Fanpage|

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Utah View Post
    All I know is that when I hand my A900 over to my Nikon and Cannon buddies, more often than not, their first word when they look thru the viewfinder is, "Wow."
    +1

Post Thanks / Like

Well,

I owned the 5D2, the D700 and the A900 and I cannot say that the OVF is much different. All of these FF DSLRs have great OVF. And now shooting the E5 - even this OVF is really superb and I cannot say it is worse than the one in the A900 !!!! They are all on a very high level!

Having said that, the OVF of the Leica S2 was (and is) the best one I know in FF SLRs/DSLRs!

What really is different is the AF system of the D700, which is far superior to the other models!

PS: I do really hope that OVFs will not be replaced by EVFs over many years. Maybe when I retire from photography in 20 years that would be ok

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    PS: I do really hope that OVFs will not be replaced by EVFs over many years. Maybe when I retire from photography in 20 years that would be ok
    This is my hope also as I started with film cameras but I don't think this OVF will stay much longer in Sony's camp after the introducing the SLT. My guess is it is cheaper and less challenging to produce EVF compared to OVF.

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't hesitate in buying the Sony A900, it's amazing! With the ridiculous prices in the digital world, this camera performs better than most, at a fraction of the price!
    Here's a recent assignment with a very popular individual riding his "hog", using the Sony A900 and 24-70.
    Last edited by johnnygoesdigital; 9th January 2013 at 06:16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pen
    Great image. I particularly like the Zeiss for black and white imaging. I own a complete set by combining from my Canon, Nikon, and Sony systems. I also pick out great lenses from the Nikon and Canon as well. I also use Leica, Rollei, Hasselblad and Contax lens on all of mine systems. I learn to appreciate optics from old to new generations and from different brand. I like to be positive by using the strength from each system. We all crosses our path here because we share a common interest in photography. Optics and cameras are means for us to record light. All lens has their special signature. Pick them out and draw them as we like to see it.
    Best regards and beautiful imaging to all

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MP7 View Post
    Pen
    Great image. I particularly like the Zeiss for black and white imaging. I own a complete set by combining from my Canon, Nikon, and Sony systems. I also pick out great lenses from the Nikon and Canon as well. I also use Leica, Rollei, Hasselblad and Contax lens on all of mine systems. I learn to appreciate optics from old to new generations and from different brand. I like to be positive by using the strength from each system. We all crosses our path here because we share a common interest in photography. Optics and cameras are means for us to record light. All lens has their special signature. Pick them out and draw them as we like to see it.
    Best regards and beautiful imaging to all
    Nicely written...a true artist!

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding the Pocket Wizard issue, if you use ettl, you will discover you are SOL. As for the goofy hot shoe, instead of getting an adapter for the camera, I got one for the flash and one for the PW transmitter. When I got the camera, I thought the hot shoe was the dumbest thing I'd seen. Hot shoes work, why fix what's not broken? After using the Sony hot shoe for a while I realized it's genius, even if it is proprietary. Including a memory stick slot instead of SD or two CF slots ... not so genius.

The Sony AF is definitely not fast, but it never misses. The only real surprise I've had with the camera is shooting fireworks has been an incredible challenge in the way the sensor records light, but I'll know for next time. A part of me is strongly considering switching to Canon because we have standardized on Canon for video production, the Sony hasn't really given me a good reason to switch.
    Just got an used 1DsIII at hand for one month to use with my Canon glass. Honestly for my style of shooting kids/animals this seems outdated comparing to my A850.