The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with native NEX lenses .....

C

curious80

The NEX images thread is somewhat unique in that a vast majority of images are made using non-native lenses. So I thought there should be a separate thread for images made exclusively with NEX native lenses.

I don't currently own a NEX (had one briefly but sold it) but do plan to buy one again in near future. Will most probably try it out with mf lenses but also interested in seeing what have people been able to accomplish with native lenses. So if you have anything to share please fire away :)

pegelli

I'll help you, allthough I don't have many.

I mainly use my 18-55 kit lens for family snaps which are not post worthy.
However for close-ups the 18-55 performs very well, see these two shots of some hoverflies on a dahlia in our garden:

Both hand held at a few cm. further than MFD

Bugleone

Pegelli,..Thoe flower close-ups are superb and just shout "summer"!

Another vote for the 18 to 55mm which is a far better lens than you read about on the web, especially since it's inexpensive, compact and convenient to use. I only use it in aperture priority and only at f8. Thus far I have not made any large prints yet but up to A3 it seems a good performer to me.

Last edited:
C

curious80

pegelli, these are excellent flower shots, 18-55mm does seem good for close ups.

Bugleone, I specially like the B&W one with nice tones and good detail!

Keep them coming :)

C

curious80

Thanks dekie for the 16mm shots - nice results from this little guy!. Seems like a good lens to keep in a NEX kit even if it might not be "technically perfect"

pegelli

I borrowed one from a friend for the weekend I find nothing wrong with the 16/2.8. Corners are a bit iffy sometimes but only when pixel peeping. In the final images it all looks very nice:

Bimjo

New member. New 5N. New pictures.

Hi! I'm not really sure that the focus is bang on with these, but all the focus aids say they are. [shrug] I'll have to play under more controlled conditions. These are with the 18-55.

No extra charge for the partial self portrait. :p

Quentin_Bargate

Note sure about the working distance. Let's just say I got as close as I needed to and it still worked (and I was very close...)

Cheers

N

nocavat

I'll help you, allthough I don't have many.

I mainly use my 18-55 kit lens for family snaps which are not post worthy.
However for close-ups the 18-55 performs very well, see these two shots of some hoverflies on a dahlia in our garden:

Both hand held at a few cm. further than MFD
great pictures with the kit lens, just shows the quality possible...

Bimjo

textured glass

More frosty fun. Got some snow yesterday that all melted. Apparently we got some light snow pellet action after dark that stuck around to play with the fog & frost this morning. This is all sitting on the sunroof of my Mini Cooper.

Shot with the SEL1855.

Bimjo

last snow in the pine

Not much of the snow we got the other day is left, except in shady spots like the north side of this pine in the backyard. SEL1855 again.