Site Sponsors

Thread: 850 Flash Sync problem

Jjcra

850 Flash Sync problem

I just got my 850. I am having trouble syncing my strobes or flash, I select a shutter of 250 no flash. I end up at 40 and it works every time at 80 it is hit and miss and nothing at higher speeds. What am I doing wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 850 Flash Sync problem

What strobes are you using? How are you triggering them? What camera mode are you using?
    SONY A900
    Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
    My Site|Facebook Fanpage|

Jjcra

Oh sorry I guess that would be good to put in. I am shooting manual, Strobes are alien bees triggered wireless thru a hot shoe adapter and off shelf triggers.
    I have used this many times on the A700 without a problem. I also thought the triggers or adapter might be the problem, but that would not explain the firing at 1/40. At least in my reasoning.

Post Thanks / Like

Check your shoe connections for good contact. Did you sent the A850 to manual flash mode in the menu? Do the triggers still work on the A700? Will the triggers fire other flashes and sync with the 850?
    SONY A900

Jjcra

Thanks Lonnie for getting back to me. Manual flash mode in menu? All I see is pre-TTL or ADI. When I get home tonight I am going to try and fire with a sync cable to strobe and my lash on camera to ensure 1/200 as well as using triggers on 700

Post Thanks / Like

Check to see if you have a "flash mode" menu option on the same page in the menu where you already were (record menu, page 2.) It should be right above the "flash control" menu item that selects pre-ttl or adi that you already found. What's that set to? You should have options for Autoflash, Fill flash, rear-sync and wireless. Try Autoflash or fill flash.
    SONY A900

Jjcra

Will do. Thank You

Post Thanks / Like

I always use my A900 at 1/60 with studio strobes. I found out at over 1/90 they do not synchronize well and I have missing parts of the photos, but they always fire.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

kgior

My a900 syncs just fine at 1/250 with my normans and a wireless transmitter.

Remember to turn off sss.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

I am getting 1/250 with skyports on my RX600s and 1/200 on the 58s triggered with PWII.

Jjcra

Well it ended up being one of the receivers, I honestly never would have guessed that since it worked at 1/80 without any trouble. Anyway lesson learned. Thank you everyone for your help.