The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Droolers of the world unite.

peterb

Here they are:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sonyslta77/

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1314162119.html

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sonyslta65/

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1108/11082419sonynex7overview.asp

Videos:

A77

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/mL6KZXE96MW1/?tag=rumors0a-20

NEX 7

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m6QSS5UVQ2CB2/

The A77 is light but beefy. The A65 is a little more compact but lacks the fully articulating LCD (although Panasonic still executes it much better and simpler). The NEX 7 also has an fully TLT adapter that'll make you wonder why you didn't get the A77 (although for the rest of the time it's one fine compact camera).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My first reaction: Why on earth did they make it so big? It's almost as large as an E-5, certainly not the smallest DSLR around, and don't even mention the K-5.

thrice

Looks great, two of the 'marketing speak' lines in the video put me off though, the first and last one.
"... in your pocket" - sorry with the exception of the 16/2.8 no NEX lenses will fit in my pocket, maybe they mean body only?
"transcending imagery" - how so? Does it do something other than imagery? Something more than imagery? No it doesn't.

Other than my pedantic problems with marketing, looks like a great camera. Nice to see full manual video controls. Might have to pick one up as a video cam at some stage.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
In the A77 video, there's a burst that indicates that the VF blackout is similar to that of a conventional DSLR. That's interesting, since one of the drawback of cameras like the A55 and the GH2 is the viewfinder blackout during bursts.

Ben Rubinstein

I notice that in the DPReview they mention the EVF is still hard to see in bright light when wearing glasses. Sorry but a viewfinder that can't be viewed in the sun for glasses/sunglasses wearers is still far from replacing an OVF for all their hype. Nothing, absolutely nothing should ever stand in the way of taking a photo.

pegelli

My first reaction: Why on earth did they make it so big? It's almost as large as an E-5, certainly not the smallest DSLR around, and don't even mention the K-5.
I personally don't mind big, for me it balances better with big lenses (agree it's personal preference)

If you want similar capabilities but smaller maybe the A65 would be better.

I notice that in the DPReview they mention the EVF is still hard to see in bright light when wearing glasses. Sorry but a viewfinder that can't be viewed in the sun for glasses/sunglasses wearers is still far from replacing an OVF for all their hype. Nothing, absolutely nothing should ever stand in the way of taking a photo.
I'll reserve my judgement until I have actually handled one (and I carry very complicated prescription glasses, so it's a relevant issue for me). On the other hand looking at all the swings and roundabouts between OVF and EVF I think I can get used to an EVF, as I think an OVF is also not perfect and I got used to those as well ;)

That it does, in a way. Farewell, Minolta heritage, says I.
:wtf:

For me the Minolta heritage is innovation, not body shape.

Last edited:

fotografz

I'm still in the wait and see camp. Despite all the hype and electronic salivating by techno-addicts, it is the end file that counts most ... not just the toys that get you there.

Sorry to say that the images are somewhat unconvincing. Not all bad mind you, just unconvincingly ordinary in look and feel (perhaps it's due to the 16-50/2.8 lens used for every shot?) Of course, I expect to be in the tiny minority just like I was with the Fuji X100 .... but no matter.

My main interest in this camera was for low available light work with fast primes like the 24/2, 50/1.4, 85/1.4. The higher ISO images posted are particularly unconvincing with spotty and blotchy effects ... and even the sky in the ISO 200 shots done in perfect lighting looks jinky. Just download a bunch and take a peek yourself.

-Marc

dhsimmonds

The bulk of the A77 doesn't worry me, in fact I will probably put on a bit more by adding the vertical battery grip! I like bigger cameras to balance my 400 and 500 lenses! :)

If it is dust and reasonably weathertight and I can live with the VF then it all looks great for my type of shooting. Can't wait to see one in the "flesh". :D

jonoslack

I'm still in the wait and see camp. Despite all the hype and electronic salivating by techno-addicts, it is the end file that counts most ... not just the toys that get you there.

Sorry to say that the images are somewhat unconvincing. Not all bad mind you, just unconvincingly ordinary in look and feel (perhaps it's due to the 16-50/2.8 lens used for every shot?) Of course, I expect to be in the tiny minority just like I was with the Fuji X100 .... but no matter.
HI Marc
Well - I'm going to get one, because I never do seem to be able to make up my mind about image quality from other people's images (I do agree with you about the dpreview images). The high ISO is too difficult to tell until the right raw converter comes along.

I'm in your tiny minority on the X100 - but it was nice to try one for a month before coming to the decision. Where I disagree with you is that I still have, and rather like the A55 you dismissed, both in terms of operation and in terms of image quality.

Like Jorgen I wish it was smaller, but I'm not surprised. Things that I've read about the A77 that I do like is the 'near silent shutter' (engadget) the 'weather sealing' (luminous landscape) and the ability to customise the buttons etc.

We'll see - but it's at least an innovative and promising step forwards!

all the best

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have the the 580 which is pretty darn nice since it has a optical finder. I think I want to try the A 77 in hand first. I'm a optical finder person. The new lens sounds interesting

fotografz

HI Marc
Well - I'm going to get one, because I never do seem to be able to make up my mind about image quality from other people's images (I do agree with you about the dpreview images). The high ISO is too difficult to tell until the right raw converter comes along.

I'm in your tiny minority on the X100 - but it was nice to try one for a month before coming to the decision. Where I disagree with you is that I still have, and rather like the A55 you dismissed, both in terms of operation and in terms of image quality.

Like Jorgen I wish it was smaller, but I'm not surprised. Things that I've read about the A77 that I do like is the 'near silent shutter' (engadget) the 'weather sealing' (luminous landscape) and the ability to customise the buttons etc.

We'll see - but it's at least an innovative and promising step forwards!

all the best
Agreed Jono ... which is why I started off my post with "I'm still in the wait and see camp".

I never really said the A55 was bad, just not there yet for my applications ... and it was fun exploring the new ideas the camera represented. However, with the rumors of something better not far off, I got out while the getting was good.

Frankly, these endless midrange innovations all add up ... and funds aren't endless ... funds often better spent on waiting for the next M or CS upgrades of my S optics, or the A99, or the next NEX, or better lighting for that matter.

God, the innovations in so many areas are just overwhelming.

-Marc

jonoslack

Agreed Jono ... which is why I started off my post with "I'm still in the wait and see camp".

I never really said the A55 was bad, just not there yet for my applications ... and it was fun exploring the new ideas the camera represented. However, with the rumors of something better not far off, I got out while the getting was good.

Frankly, these endless midrange innovations all add up ... and funds aren't endless ... funds often better spent on waiting for the next M or CS upgrades of my S optics, or the A99, or the next NEX, or better lighting for that matter.

God, the innovations in so many areas are just overwhelming.

-Marc
Well, I'm with you there - personally I rely on being quick enough to ebay things to reduce the fund damage, and I'm ashamed to say I don't look too hard at the consequences. . . . . and I don't have an MF habit (which certainly helps!). Luminous Landscape seemed to think that a FF version in a similar body was a likely A99 - a sized up sensor would be 45mp - certainly an interesting concept!

all the best

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, I meanwhile try not to jump on EVERY new bandwagon - and I am proud I did skip the X100, G3 and GF3 and even the M9 so far - but the A77 seems really good and interesting.

So not sure if I will be able to resist this one, especially given the attractive price for such a highest end product (WRT what was highest end some years ago) and also the new 2.8/16-50.

jonoslack

Well, I meanwhile try not to jump on EVERY new bandwagon - and I am proud I did skip the X100, G3 and GF3 and even the M9 so far - but the A77 seems really good and interesting.

So not sure if I will be able to resist this one, especially given the attractive price for such a highest end product (WRT what was highest end some years ago) and also the new 2.8/16-50.
Hi Peter
I'm not sure if it's a bandwagon if you're the first to jump on it:D
I like to try these things, partly because it's fun, and partly because it's the only way to work out if they suit.

I would have thought that with your history of disliking the A900, this was an unlikely success from your point of view (reading the reviews the control philosophy doesn't seem to have changed, and nor does the colour).

all the best

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi Peter
I'm not sure if it's a bandwagon if you're the first to jump on it:D
I like to try these things, partly because it's fun, and partly because it's the only way to work out if they suit.

I would have thought that with your history of disliking the A900, this was an unlikely success from your point of view (reading the reviews the control philosophy doesn't seem to have changed, and nor does the colour).

all the best
You know, I am sure the A77 could become a new starting point. Once I start accepting the feeling of the Sony Alpha lenses (Sony or Zeiss) and with the hope that future RAW converters will work out colors better, I am getting confident.

It's all a matter of what measurements one applies :D

Actually with the price level of the Sony cameras and lenses it becomes an even better alternative to the old guy's DSLRs (Nikon & Canon)

Might give it a try. Definitely want to try one out!