Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: The future is here - Sony Nex 7

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The future is here - Sony Nex 7

Hi Lars

;-)

No Im not joking - you just answered the question by yourself:

>...especially since an EVF can maintain a high enough brightness to keep the eye at optimal viewing conditions.<

Do you really think an optical viewfinder will give you the smallest possible eye aperture (and sharpness) when there are several stops of original scene disappearing in the optical system of 1.Lens(f stop!), 2.Mirror, 3. Prisma and 4. okular enlargement. Did you never experience it to be difficult to watch an image on a DSLR finder in Bright sunlight - why do you think people use Eye cups, maybe even black cloth or hoods over their cameras ? Because the contrast between original and image is so large !

It would be interesting though to get a measurement of finder brightness in Lumen of an EVF compared to the same scenes watched on optical finders (LeicaM and DSLR)

regards
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    C'mon guys, I think you're both stuck in a rut fighting over details that in my mind are not the most significant. Secondly, it's not "better" or "worse", it's just different.

An OVF has the quickest feedback and makes use of all the adaptibilty of the human eye/brain to get the clearest and highest dynamic range picture. However the drawback is that dof perception vs. the final picture is far below par.

An EVF has clarity, dynamic range and resolution disadvantages, however dof perception is much more in line with the final picture and with focus peaking (another thing an OVF doesn't have) it only gets better.

I can see both sides of this argument but for me it's clear there is no "one size fits all" and personal preferences (or what you have with you that day in your bag) will dictate what gets used.
    You are right.
    One note on the resolution though; an EVF can be enlarged allowing for way more exact focusing when really needed. The ability to look at the focus transition areas in a size answering to ta big print is a great thing (for me). The OVF resolution can be discussed btw; in my experience the etching severely limits its usefulness. Seeing what the sensor sees is not wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    Maybe a moderator should lock this thread? It's getting really boring.
    That sounds boring imo. Do you really suggest posts not-boring-to-Edward should be the only ones allowed?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post

That sounds boring imo. Do you really suggest posts not-boring-to-Edward should be the only ones allowed?
    That would be great, thanks
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    One note on the resolution though; an EVF can be enlarged allowing for way more exact focusing when really needed. The ability to look at the focus transition areas in a size answering to ta big print is a great thing (for me).
    Thanks Jonas, I forgot that. For MF an EVF has several advantages over an OVF

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thrice View Post
    So long as you don't want to shoot wider than 24mm equiv, the NEX looks great
    There are a couple of options together wider than that. Both the Sony ultrawide converter and the CV 12mm get you to 18mm equivalent. Plus, there is a wide zoom coming next year that will likely be at least that wide.
    Last edited by douglasf13; 28th August 2011 at 07:26.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

At the risk of embarrassing myself, and as someone who has owned quite a few cameras with fantastic optical viewfinders, I'm going to go ahead and say it:

EVF/LCD view cameras have made me a better photographer.

I'm not exactly a newbie when it comes to exposure with OVF cameras, and I'd say I'm actually pretty good at it, but, when I'm scrolling through raws in LR3, it's pretty unnerving to see just how much more consistent my exposures are with my NEX-5. Live histogram, DOF preview and various manual focus assists are really starting to outweigh any of my romantic notions of looking through an optical finder. At this point, I'm not sure I could go back, and I'm anxious to check out the new Sony EVF. I guess that something like the X100's hybrid VF might be the only compelling possibility of going back to an OVF, for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Douglas

+1
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I give up - it was a mistake of me to enter here thinking that a discussion based on reason and logic was possible. I apologize to all of you readers for boring you with such a mind-numbing thread - generally here at GetDPI discussions are enlightened, uplifting and polite - this is the worst I have seen with personal insults, total defiance of logic/math/reason, FUD, and almost religious fanboyism. You'd think it was about politics, religion, or Apple gear back in the 90's.

I'm skeptical towards an unreleased product, and I'm the one having to defend my position? Geeez.

Stefan, good luck with your new toy - and your future. Please do everyone a favor: When the NEX9 is introduced spring 2013, with a Full-HD viewfinder and all the Sony fanboys go "Oooh, aaah" - remember this discussion.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lars, while I can't speak to who you're referring to in the above post, I take a little bit of offense to such a send off. I've reread all of your posts, and it seems like your main questions about the NEX-7 revolve around size and the EVF, and, while some may be off course, I'd say there have been some acceptable discussions in regards to those questions. What exactly are your concerns again, and maybe we can turn this thread around?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have closed this thread, perhaps a day late, but I urge all those who offended or feel that they were offended to communicate with one-another off line.
    Usually misunderstandings are unintentional and seriously, nobody gets extra points from on-upping the other here.
    thanks
    -bob