The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The future is here - Sony Nex 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonnie Utah

Something else: I made a pic of some of my OM lenses - just to show how tiny they are. And they are really good too.
I agree, the OM lenses are super on the NEX. Perfect blend of size, price and quality. I've got the 50 f/1.8, and the 135 f/3.5 (Got that one for $15+shipping off ebay). I'm still hunting for the 28 f/2.8 at a really cheap price to round out my "kit". I thought long and hard about the 35 f/2.8, but that FL it didn't seem quite right to me (I have a 35-70 f/2.8 zoom too and at 35, the view felt a bit too tight).

Just for scale, here they are on the NEX5....

NEX5 + OM 135 f/3.5

NEX5 + OM 50 f/1.8

Stefan Steib

Lonnie

there are a 21mm and as well a very good 24mm too........;-)

to go even shorter, there is probably the Orgasmotron (this is Woody Allen, He is Jewish AND American so I hope this is PC.....;-) of Tilt Lens users:

Get this adapter:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Tilt-adapter...725?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a11f38e15

+ a Nikon G-ED Adapter maybe this one:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Kood-Pro-Can...ns_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item588e427fb8

and then this:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Nikon-AF-S-1...73273715?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item27bceb7b73

....................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards
Stefan

douglasf13

The OM lenses are certainly compact in the SLR lens world. I think the only size complaint that some make in regards to them is concerning the size of the adapter, because Contax G, M, LTM and Olympus Pen F lenses all take adapters nearly a third of the size of the OM to NEX adapter, and it is a tangible size difference at some focal lengths.

Stefan Steib

As many may have guessed I am an addict to Lens movements, if possible on any platform. And thus the longer flange focal distance of the Oly´s perfectly make sense. They also have the image circle, so vivat Zuiko- we´ll move them....

regards
Stefan

douglasf13

As many may have guessed I am an addict to Lens movements, if possible on any platform. And thus the longer flange focal distance of the Oly´s perfectly make sense. They also have the image circle, so vivat Zuiko- we´ll move them....

regards
Stefan
I'm not sure I follow.

uhoh7

here's the OM 135/2.8

but per Dougs comments, it's now been replaced in the bag by my sweet new canon RF 135/3.5 in LTM. It is a sharp devil, and since one M adapter and a tiny LTM to M will mount a bunch of great stuff--you forget the 90 gram OM to nex adapter.

as he also mentioned the PenF stuff works great too--I have the 25/2.8 and the 42/1.2: both superb.

An SLR lens has to be REALLY special for me to drag it around.

LizaWitz

Interestingly, on Amazon.com the NEX-7 is beating the A77 in pre-orders by quite a bit. The NEX-7 is the #3 selling camera with the A-77 being #8 in the top 100.

I might buy the new 50mm f1.8. I know y'all are big fans of the OM lenses and adapting SLR lenses to these cameras. I'm sure they produce better results photographically... but since I hand hold I need optical image stabilization for video.

douglasf13

Interestingly, on Amazon.com the NEX-7 is beating the A77 in pre-orders by quite a bit. The NEX-7 is the #3 selling camera with the A-77 being #8 in the top 100.

I might buy the new 50mm f1.8. I know y'all are big fans of the OM lenses and adapting SLR lenses to these cameras. I'm sure they produce better results photographically... but since I hand hold I need optical image stabilization for video.
I may do the same. It's only about 5mm or so longer than my Nokton 50/1.5, and I'd like the OSS.

Stefan Steib

Liza

even more interesting is the fact that it is twice in the top ten now # 4 Body only and #10 Body with kit lens. This after 3 days when the others took hundreds of days to get there. AND - All competitors are about 30-50% cheaper.
Buyers seem to completely ignore that, the feature set seems to be so addictive that nobody seems to care............;-)))

Q.E.D.

the industry needs to innovate, not evolute. The right word is "Chuzpe".

Greetings from Munich
Stefan

Stefan Steib

and another number from the amazon charts:

the first MFT body - the Panasonic GH2 is on # 42.

the also new Nex 5n is on # 13 even not being available - but less looked after than the twice as expensive Nex 7.

I Think this says about all.

regards
Stefan

pegelli

Lonnie Utah said:
I agree, the OM lenses are super on the NEX. Perfect blend of size, price and quality. I've got the 50 f/1.8, and the 135 f/3.5
Lonnie, I use the exact same OM lenses, and in addition also the 85/2 and 100/2.8.
All deliver stellar results. The 135 from wide open, most others are also OK wide open but significantly improve when closed 1 stop.

If you want a real WA try to find a 21/3.5, at least I'm also hunting for one and it will be much smaller than using my Minolta 20/2.8 with the LA-EA1 adapter (which is my current WA "go to" for the nex)

Ben Rubinstein

What I find very interesting is that the 5N plus viewfinder pretty much negates the size and price advantage when you compare the additional benefits of the 7 as a photographers camera. That is at present of course, I assume the 5N will be bundled with the viewfinder in attractive packages very soon..

Stefan Steib

Hi Ben

it shows in the sales numbers -the nex 7 outselling the nex 5n despite the lower price which at first seems to be unlogical, but as you say - infact is just a better deal integrated - so cost does not play that role anymore.
product placement at it´s best, very clever !

The more I think of it, the more I see how much thought was put into this, it took Sony SOME years to straighten this out, but now I think this will be the 5DII of the mid to top consumer range.

regards
Stefan

Ben Rubinstein

Let's wait and see how the IQ pans out before sweeping statements though. This sensor has 4/3 type pixel density and we'll have to see just how big a rabbit if any they pulled out of the hat in comparison to the tried and tested, oh and incredible, sensor they've put in the 5N.

Lars

Would you consider the Nex-3 and 5 to be succesful cameras?
Certainly the nex-7, for my taste, would be smaller,and the EVF would be more like the x100, but with RF like splitscreen focusing.
But what it can do far outweighs the details.
They will not be able to produce enough of these cameras, you watch.
As far as the size with lenses, you once again miss the point:
With a nex, it's your choice. You can go lean, or you can go big.
As far as the legacy lens being "niche", this feature has attracted many to the nex line, and has brought the camera tremendous respect---priceless marketing.
It's curious you don't see the huge coup the Nex-7 represents. I'm no fan of giant corporations, but thank god for sony, in this case. Obviously Canon and Nikon think just like you do :)
To dismiss the ergonomics of the nex 7 out of hand, never having spent any time using it (not sure if you have shot with the nex), really is been there done that hubris.
Nothing new there, we have seen one silly review of the Nex-5 after the next, utterly missing the point of the camera, from digtital Rev to DP review.
Only a few ever bothered to get to know the camera, like steve huff, because their parameters were already set.
But it doesn't matter, the market knows much better.
I think Doug said he'd never pre-ordered a camera in his life, till this one. Posts like that are all over the place in the various forums. If that does not tell you something, you simply aren't listening.
I saw the same attitude amoung the wise elders when shaped skis came on the market
"It's a fad!" they said, loudly and repeatedly.
10 years later those same people can't even concieve of using "classic skis".
best,
Charlie :salute:
nex-5 + OM200/5 ;)
Well - in the end it's just another camera. Really. There are already small cameras, there are already camera systems, there are already mirrorless cameras. It won't change the way we shoot. If you want to use different lenses, you still have to schlep around a bag of lenses.

Perhaps a smaller bag, but it won't fit in your pocket like a compact. So you still have to make an active decision to bring the camera gear along -quite different from the compact csmera experience.

So, who's buying this camera? Perhaps the people who were early adopters of MFT cameras are the ones preordering NEX7. That won't take much sales away from DSLRs. At $1200 the NEX7 is unlikely to cannibalize sales of $600 entrylevel DSLRs, and the NEX3/NEX5 who were competitively priced for that segment were a hardly noticeable blip on the DSLR market.

I can see people who do not want to be seen with a DSLR as a target market, the crowd moving up from fixed-lens compacts, the fraction of that group who could justify a $1200 budget instead of/in addition to a $300-$500 compact. But they already made the move to MFT or NEXT3/5, so DSLR market won't be impacted at all by that group moving to NEX7.

It is SO easy to make predictions about a whole market based on your own needs/preferences/taste. The fact is, hardly anyone on this forum is anywhere near a typical consumer in the target market we are discussing. Of course that is true for me too, so feel free to dismiss anything I say for the same reason hehe. :)

douglasf13

Nex-7 with pancake still fits in cargo pockets, purse, jacket pocket, etc. With a bunch of lenses, it'll still fit in a very small bag. When I look at the differences in various bag sizes between my Nex and A900 systems, it is incredible.

jonoslack

Nex-7 with pancake still fits in cargo pockets, purse, jacket pocket, etc. With a bunch of lenses, it'll still fit in a very small bag. When I look at the differences in various bag sizes between my Nex and A900 systems, it is incredible.
Well, here I do agree . . but the new batch of panasonic lenses announced and rumoured still put them some way ahead from that point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.