The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CZ24/2-info needed

• Thread starter das_schlechte_gewissen
  • Start date
D

das_schlechte_gewissen

Hi,
I would like to ask for some information about the Sony CZ24/2 lens.

I've seen that some forum members own this lens and am interested in their experiences with this lens.

I can try to describe what I'm looking for. That's the colour reproduction and clarity that I know from my CZ 135/1,8. Contrast is important as well.

I know that the wide angel lens can't be as sharp as the 135 tele lens is. But what the 135 can do very well is to produce very fine separated or clean colours, even in difficult light conditions. For example, bright high sun in the mediteranean area, dry grass, some flowers. That's where my Minolta 35/2 which is a sharp lens otherwise is not so good. Colours get too warm, high contrasts in details aren't handled very well. The Zeiss 135 reproduces a much clearer and cleaner picture in such situations.

My Zeiss16-80 goes in that direction, but doesn't deliver the sharpness and resolving power of the two lenses mentioned above.

Therefore I'm looking for a 'better' wide angel lens and I am evaluating the Zeiss 24/2.

Thanks for your advice.

edwardkaraa

The 24/2 has a typical Zeiss rendering with high micro contrast but more controlled total contrast. The resolution is very high on a large part of the frame wide open, but decreases in the longer borders and extreme corners. By 5.6 the entire image is high resolution except the extreme corners which remain somewhat soft even stopped down.

D

das_schlechte_gewissen

The 24/2 has a typical Zeiss rendering with high micro contrast but more controlled total contrast. The resolution is very high on a large part of the frame wide open, but decreases in the longer borders and extreme corners. By 5.6 the entire image is high resolution except the extreme corners which remain somewhat soft even stopped down.
Hi Edward,

many thanks for your detailed description of this lens. This sounds very promising. This typical Zeiss rendering is exactly what I'm looking for. I assume that if the contrast rendering of the lens was intended by Zeiss to match the 135mm Zeiss lens character the colour reproduction of the two lenses matches as well.

I wish you happy shooting and many good pictures with your excellent lens line-up and camera!

D

das_schlechte_gewissen

FF w/ - some perspective correction in LR3.x. Stopped down.
Hi Rand,

what a beautiful picture of this classic sailing ship!

This picture is excellent for contrast and resolution assessment of a lens as well. It looks like the micro contrast is very good. All details are very well rendered in spite of the heavy sun that was there. The colours look very good, similar to the 135 Zeiss lens. I see this in the reproduction of the yellow and brighter brown tones in this bright sunlight. Very nice!

Your picture confirms what Edward has explained. This lens is climbing very high in my buying list. Nr. 1 in the lens list.