Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sony NEX-7 Discussion

Post Thanks / Like

Sony NEX-7 Discussion

Spent the day shooting video in bright sunlight with the NEX-5. First real shooting day since the NEX-7 was announced. I've adapted to the LCD viewfinder, so I wasn't really wishing I had the EVF of the NEX-7 (though I'm sure I'll appreciate it).

What I really was missing was a mic-input jack on the NEX-5. We've started doing standup shots and we're going to be doing interviews more and more going forward and today was a disaster, almost.

We're in venice. Great location, right? Shooting from the bridges with the canals in the background.

So, of course, the on camera mics are picking up everyone walking by, the boats going by, etc, and when those things are quiet, of course the wind blows across them. Today we had the our talent holding a recorder with a mic attached to her lapel. But she'd start and stop the recorder at different times than we were starting and stopping the camera, and after the fact I've now got a lot of audio to sync with video.

Fortunately, and this one feature is why I will buy the NEX-7-- the new camera has a mic input.

So, the EVF is nice, the built in flash is nice, the extra controls are nice, the seemingly thicker grip is nice, but that little mic hole is worth $1,200 to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sony NEX-7 Discussion

Can I make a suggestion?

Get a Zoom H4n; great broadcast-standard recording, and keep on using the same camera. Slate (or handclap) for sync. This method has worked for the last—oh, 100 years or so.

lapel mike > radio transmitter > > receiver > Zoom (I suggest taped to the camera tripod, or in your pocket). The control is in your hands.

record; call "handclap", and you're good to go; and the handclap can be done at the end of the recording "end slate"). Reliable, and no need for a mike socket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    Can I make a suggestion?

Get a Zoom H4n; great broadcast-standard recording, and keep on using the same camera. Slate (or handclap) for sync. This method has worked for the last—oh, 100 years or so.

lapel mike > radio transmitter > > receiver > Zoom (I suggest taped to the camera tripod, or in your pocket). The control is in your hands.

record; call "handclap", and you're good to go; and the handclap can be done at the end of the recording "end slate"). Reliable, and no need for a mike socket.
    Kit is totally right. On-camera audio is inferior and limiting. Separate digital audio recorders are the best way to go, hands-down.
    Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like

>Separate digital audio recorders are the best way to go, hands-down.

Don't forget to also record in camera to sync sound.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Best - using Zoom H1, records on microSDHC, price < $ 99

das_schlechte_gewissen

Mmhh, there is an external mic for the NEX5 from Sony. You simply put it on the top accessory port of the camera.
    Downside is that you can't use it together with the NEX 7.

Post Thanks / Like

The only reason I prefer the H4n is that it accepts XLR connectors: very low noise, and universal cabling system.

Uwe, you can record in-camera sound too, and it's always a good idea to have as backup (or atmosphere), too.

For the OP, make sure you delete the "guide" track (Uwe's suggestion for how to use the in-camera around); otherwise (depending on your editing program) each track may be regarded as the two halves of a stereo pair—and the sound will not be good!

I suggest an on-camera shotgun mic, and the other setup for the on-camera speaker. He/she (if doing interviews) could use that feed as a hand-geld mic, so that they can both speak and get the interviewee's responses; mic is in vision. Done every day on TV.

hth, kl

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for being slow to respond, I've been on the road since making my post. Thanks very much for the advice!

Before making my post I'd looked at Zoom recorders and considered going this route. The thing is, I've done this in the past, and it eats up a lot of time. Just thinking about it right now stresses me out. I'm not ruling it out, but if we can cut out that step it would have a big impact on the effective cost of this project. So, I'm hoping actually to do both-- use the zoom to effectively record, and provide a quality (no AGC) signal to the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by hot View Post
    Best - using Zoom H1, records on microSDHC, price < $ 99
    We bought a lapel mic. I just saw an H1 this evening in target and was thinking about buying it.

If we plug the lapel mic into the H1's external mic port, will it record three channels? (Stereo from the built in mics and then the additional mic channel?)

I wish the H1 had both a line out and a monitor. I don't know if I can put a splitter in there and plug in headphones.

I'd like to run the lapel mic into the H1, record from all three mics, and at the same time, run the output to BOTH a headset for monitoring, and into the mic port of a (future possibly) NEX-7 to record the results along with the video.

Then we get two recordings of audio and sync should be really easy since the waveforms should be identical.

But I may be asking too much from a $99 recorder.

I suggest an on-camera shotgun mic, and the other setup for the on-camera speaker. He/she (if doing interviews) could use that feed as a hand-geld mic, so that they can both speak and get the interviewee's responses; mic is in vision. Done every day on TV.

hth, kl
    Yes, thinking along these lines too. In fact, interviewer could be picked up with the lapel mic running into the Zoom and the Zoom could be used as a handheld mic....for the interviewee to speak into.

Edit to add: Hot, you always have the sexy gear. I like that mounting setup.

Post Thanks / Like

Lisa,

If we plug the lapel mic into the H1's external mic port, will it record three channels? (Stereo from the built in mics and then the additional mic channel?)
    I am in Chattanooga now, and the recorder is with a friend, but IIRC, once you plug an external mic in, the "taser" mics are cut off.

Yes, thinking along these lines too. In fact, interviewer could be picked up with the lapel mic running into the Zoom and the Zoom could be used as a handheld mic....for the interviewee to speak into.
    yes, that is what I think is the best way with your setup

cheers

KL

Post Thanks / Like

Kit, I think there's a misunderstanding. Normally I'd just get the manuals and see, but none of the Zoom manuals answer the question.

The method I was proposing, which you said "I think is the best way..." was to use the Zoom H1 as a mic, using its internal mics, *AND* to have the lavaliere mic plugged into the external port.

I'm guessing in this configuration, either the built in mics go to one channel and the external mic to the other, or the external overrides the built in.

I can't find any indication of how external mics are handled on any of the zooms, though I know the H4 and H2 should be able to record quad.

Post Thanks / Like

Lisa, you are right, if talking about the H4n: you can record four channels (see the small screenshot). I was talking about the Zoom H1, the one you mentioned (I don't own this) and a quick search doesn't answer the question. Someone else might come in on this.

Looks like your problem is solved if you intend to use the H4n.

The only downside is that the H4n is heavy. Worth considering, too, is that the H1 takes micro SD cards and has no XLR connectors.

regards

KL
    Last edited by kit laughlin; 26th September 2011 at 04:22.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help Kit. I'm going to go try and find some forums where people have used the H1 and ask around. Thanks for the pointer on H4n weight, I'll see if that's going to be a problem for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Kit makes some great suggestions. When I shoot video with my 5D Mark II I use the onboard microphone and also have a separate digital recorder hooked up to a shotgun or a wireless lavalier, depending on the job, and recording audio the entire time. The onboard dSLR microphone records my "backup" audio. I match it up later in the edit.

A colleague who is using the new Final Cut Pro X tells me that there is an easy way to match up audio recorded on a separate device to imported video footage. Clap may no longer be needed.

I've got a Sony NEX-7 on order. Very excited for the EVF with focus peaking!
    Sony NEX, Olympus m4/3 + Panasonic lenses, Leica M, and too many lenses

Post Thanks / Like

So excited!! My Nex 7 body says it will ship on 12/13/2011!!
    If you preordered, take a look on Sonystyle!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=40061777

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Body only. I ordered the kit. Apparently they do not have any of those.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Luminous Landscape> "There is no question (to my eyes at least) that the Sony sensor out-resolves the Leica using the same lens. The 50mm Summilux f/1.4 ASPH is one of the finest lenses of its focal length. What we are seeing is that this lens can out-resolve the M9's 18MP sensor, because the 24MP Sony sensor clearly shows better resolution of fine detail even though the M9 does not have an AA filter, and the NEX-7 does
    This result shouldn't be a surprise, because when I visited the Leica factory two years ago I asked Leica's chief lens designer if sensors were out-resolving lenses yet, and his answer was – no not yet. It would appear that the NEX-7's 24MP sensor shows this to be the case."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And I would expect that when (not 'if') Sony release a 28M-30 Mp APS-C sensor, the images it takes will show yet more 'detail'. It seems Michael may be implying that the NEX7 sensor is 'outresolving' the Leica lens mentioned. I don't believe he has has established this as a fact, if indeed that is his contention.

Comparing two sensors with the same lens is a sensor comparison! We have no reason to believe the NEX7 sensor does anything more than approach the lens performance more closely than the Leica sensor, should his observations be valid.

Also, this is not a bottleneck issue, with the weakest link being the limiting factor. A higher Mp sensor will, ceteris paribus, always deliver a better image than a lower Mp camera...this is optical science at work, because the total system MTF is a *multiplicative function* - increase the performance (MTF here) of either major component and you increase the final image quality (and vice versa). So well done Sony, but the case for its latest APS-C sensor 'outresolving' the lens used is far from being evidenced.

And other factors intrude: 'outresolve' where? all of the frame, or just the centre? All apertures, or just the best performing one?

Regarding the lens, I have the MTF chart for the LEICA SUMMILUX-M 50 mm f/1.4 ASPH; it certainly is a fine performer, but there are better 50-60mm options, especially the macro lenses from Leica and Zeiss.

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu View Post
    Luminous Landscape> "There is no question (to my eyes at least) that the Sony sensor out-resolves the Leica using the same lens. The 50mm Summilux f/1.4 ASPH is one of the finest lenses of its focal length. What we are seeing is that this lens can out-resolve the M9's 18MP sensor, because the 24MP Sony sensor clearly shows better resolution of fine detail even though the M9 does not have an AA filter, and the NEX-7 does
    This result shouldn't be a surprise, because when I visited the Leica factory two years ago I asked Leica's chief lens designer if sensors were out-resolving lenses yet, and his answer was – no not yet. It would appear that the NEX-7's 24MP sensor shows this to be the case."
    I dont understand the article on LL.

1) the Nex images look sharper than the ones of the M9 - so why does the Nex7 sensor outresolve the lens?? It would outresolve the lens if the lens on the Nex7 would not deliver better images even though the sensor has more resolution.

2) I think we all have seen before that different sensor-even when having the same pixel density can lead to different results, for example cause by micro lens assignment etc. (remember how some m-lenses dont shine on thre Nex5 but look better on the Nex5N)

3) Comparing a downsampled image to a cropped 100% image doesnt tell much IMO.

IMO the only relevant comparison would be to shoot one image with a 35asph on the Nex and the other with a 50 asph on the M9, print at same size and look at the results.

I am still surprized how fast some people draw conclusions based on 2 or 3 images.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree that it is not very useful to compare crop vs non-crop cams. I did not see the point either.

Why wouldn't there be comparisons with Nikon D3s and the Leica M9? No crops and in the same price range.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    I dont understand the article on LL.

1) the Nex images look sharper than the ones of the M9 - so why does the Nex7 sensor outresolve the lens?? It would outresolve the lens if the lens on the Nex7 would not deliver better images even though the sensor has more resolution.
    HI Tom
    He isn't saying that the NEX out resolves the lens - but that seeing that the NEX7 shows more detail it out resolves the M9.

2) I think we all have seen before that different sensor-even when having the same pixel density can lead to different results, for example cause by micro lens assignment etc. (remember how some m-lenses dont shine on thre Nex5 but look better on the Nex5N)

3) Comparing a downsampled image to a cropped 100% image doesnt tell much IMO.
    Well, I don't think the principle is wrong - the trouble is that he cropped the M9 to 12mp and then only downsized the NEX7 to 18mp!
    IMO the only relevant comparison would be to shoot one image with a 35asph on the Nex and the other with a 50 asph on the M9, print at same size and look at the results.
    Actually, I disagree. I think the right test would be to take the shot with the 50 'lux on the Sony, then take a step or two forward and take the same on the M9 so that the field of view was the same - then do a comparison. It would be nice to see it in both directions (downsize the Sony, Upsize the M9).

I am still surprized how fast some people draw conclusions based on 2 or 3 images.
    Well, it seems to me that MR's conclusions just tell me that it's a 'there or thereabouts' situation - which is a surprising accolade for the NEX, and a decent challenge for Leica for the M10

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Tom
    He isn't saying that the NEX out resolves the lens - but that seeing that the NEX7 shows more detail it out resolves the M9.

Well, I don't think the principle is wrong - the trouble is that he cropped the M9 to 12mp and then only downsized the NEX7 to 18mp!

Actually, I disagree. I think the right test would be to take the shot with the 50 'lux on the Sony, then take a step or two forward and take the same on the M9 so that the field of view was the same - then do a comparison. It would be nice to see it in both directions (downsize the Sony, Upsize the M9).

Well, it seems to me that MR's conclusions just tell me that it's a 'there or thereabouts' situation - which is a surprising accolade for the NEX, and a decent challenge for Leica for the M10

all the best
    I thought he said the 50asph is outresolved by the Nex7 sensor.

Anyways- the Nex7 IQ looks pretty good in those samples, and the M9 IQ is very good as I know from using it for 2 years.

I am not saying that the Nex7 could be even better regarding resolution.
    Looks like this could be a damn good camera for the money.
    I dont know yet how much sense it makes to own both a Leica M and a Nex 7 ...since size wise there is not such a big difference.
    For my part I still prefer a rangefinder...so should I cancel my pre-order for the Nex 7 ...specially since the 5N user interface works better for than I expected in the beginning.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Tom
    I thought he said the 50asph is outresolved by the Nex7 sensor.
    No - I'm sure he didn't mean that (although I can see how it could easily be misconstrued - so hard not to be unambiguous). Rather to the contrary, I thought he implied that a 36mp sensor would show even more detail.

Anyways- the Nex7 IQ looks pretty good in those samples, and the M9 IQ is very good as I know from using it for 2 years.

I am not saying that the Nex7 could be even better regarding resolution.
    Looks like this could be a damn good camera for the money.
    I dont know yet how much sense it makes to own both a Leica M and a Nex 7 ...since size wise there is not such a big difference.
    For my part I still prefer a rangefinder...so should I cancel my pre-order for the Nex 7 ...specially since the 5N user interface works better for than I expected in the beginning.
    . . . . . but the NEX7 can never possibly be a substitute for an M9 . . . it doesn't have a rangefinder . . . . and the M9 could never possibly be a substitute for a NEX . . how can you attach a 70-300 zoom to the M9?

I've just been having a very energetic discussion with my son about all of this. For me (and I suspect also for MR) the NEX7 is a splendid adjunct to the M9 - it can be used to get over the (small) shortcomings of the M9 (macro / telephoto / auto-focus). Of course, you can have an SLR to do all of this . . but the real difference is that you can use ALL of your M9 lenses on the NEX7 . . and NONE of your SLR lenses on the M9, and none of your M9 lenses on the SLR.

As I see it, a NEX camera with maybe a couple of R lenses (or even a couple of AF E lenses) links in nicely with an M system without really adding much bulk to your system. An SLR just is a different system.

Until Leica bring out a camera which will cover all bases, then the NEX does a really good job in filling the gaps with good IQ.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone considering the Sigma 8-16 on the NEX7. Will it AF (slowly) with the old adapter or only the Phase Detect adapter?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Anyone considering the Sigma 8-16 on the NEX7. Will it AF (slowly) with the old adapter or only the Phase Detect adapter?
    Hadn't occurred to me . . I think I've got an A mount 10-20 Sigma banging about somewhere . . . I'm not sure, but I guess it'll AF with either adapter (or neither), but faster with the new one.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am happy to report that my NEX-7 has shipped and will be here next Wednesday. Now if only they could find a Zeiss 24mm....
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Tom

No - I'm sure he didn't mean that (although I can see how it could easily be misconstrued - so hard not to be unambiguous). Rather to the contrary, I thought he implied that a 36mp sensor would show even more detail.

. . . . . but the NEX7 can never possibly be a substitute for an M9 . . . it doesn't have a rangefinder . . . . and the M9 could never possibly be a substitute for a NEX . . how can you attach a 70-300 zoom to the M9?

I've just been having a very energetic discussion with my son about all of this. For me (and I suspect also for MR) the NEX7 is a splendid adjunct to the M9 - it can be used to get over the (small) shortcomings of the M9 (macro / telephoto / auto-focus). Of course, you can have an SLR to do all of this . . but the real difference is that you can use ALL of your M9 lenses on the NEX7 . . and NONE of your SLR lenses on the M9, and none of your M9 lenses on the SLR.

As I see it, a NEX camera with maybe a couple of R lenses (or even a couple of AF E lenses) links in nicely with an M system without really adding much bulk to your system. An SLR just is a different system.

Until Leica bring out a camera which will cover all bases, then the NEX does a really good job in filling the gaps with good IQ.

all the best
    Mmmh, I am not sure yet. If I would shoot longer tele (what I dont do very often) I usually like to do it with a fast lens and often would like to have a fast AV (sports, aninals, kids,...).
    The Nex 7 AF is maybe too slow for such things and if you lug a big lens around like a R-lens or a Nikon tele lens then why not rather use a DSLR body? I assume that should handle much better and more balanced.

I can see to use it for macro with the M - 90 Macro Elmar (I did that with the 5n).

I could also see the NEx 7 as a spare body for an M9, or as a solution which delivers very good (eventually better) IQ at a lower price than a M9.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Now if only they could find a Zeiss 24mm....
    They appear to be everywhere and more surprisingly with a huge variation in sale prices (999 to 660 Euros). I am going to wait until the price bottoms out.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    I am happy to report that my NEX-7 has shipped and will be here next Wednesday. Now if only they could find a Zeiss 24mm....
    You could be the first! Must be, 'cause you live in this solar system

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like

Collected my Nex7 yesterday from my dealer. Just body, but also got the 16mm and have the Zeiss on order. But the really cool thing is using my Leica lenses. Have not tried all of them but the focus peaking works beautifully. Just be prepared to spend some time mucking around in the menus getting things set up.
    Alan

Selection of work: http://weinschela.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like

I had advance ordered my NEX 7, but have been buying adapters to use my treasure trove of older legacy MF lenses (I'm 74 yrs old, and have been into this seriously since 1959 when I built my first darkroom). I purchased the M42, Leica R, Nikon F, Leica M,
    Contax/Yashika, and Topcon/Ekakta to NEX adapters. I have a beautiful Contax 28mm T* f2.8, Leica 35mm f2.8 Elmarit R, 50mm f2 Sumicron R, Nikon 28mm f3.5, 50mm f2, 135mm f2.8, Pristine Topcon 50mm f1.4, 28mm f2.8, 100mm f2.8 (a tiny little jewel), and 135mm f2.8 with beautiful telescoping hood. Also some really old Exakata lenses: 50mm f2.8 Tessar, and 135mm f 2.8 Steinheil Munchen Auto-Quinar (this is a monstor heavy lens with giant clip on hood). Also M42 Asahi Takumar 24, 28, & 50mm f1.4, along with very early "Auto-Takumars" (actually semi-auto, you must cock open the diaphragm after every shot): 35mm f3.2, 50mm f1.8 and 105mm f2.8. Still waiting for the NEX 7 to be delivered from the Sony Store.
    Good luck to all.
    Dave in NJ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats

Post Thanks / Like

Carlos: Did you get your NEX 7 from Sony direct, or a local dealer?
    Thanks
    Dave in NJ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Carlos/Alan: Congratulations! I'm still waiting for my Nex 7 'kit'. Ordered the kit because they always ship the kit first? Not this time. I did get the Zeiss 24mm from Sony Style on Monday. Quite nice on the 5N.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    Carlos: Did you get your NEX 7 from Sony direct, or a local dealer?
    Thanks
    Dave in NJ
    I ordered mine from Precision Camera.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting. I will have to send them a message as I also ordered from them.

Post Thanks / Like

Fedex delivered my NEX-7 from sonystyle today, along with the 24 1.8 from Amazon. All I can say is: I don't think many of you will regret your purchase! I haven't had much time today to play around with it. As is the case, with most new systems, finding your way around the menus will involve some trial and error. Feels fairly comfortable ergonomically, but could be cumbersome to some if their fingers are bit thick or fairly large. Here's a simple click with the nocti .95 wide open at 800 ISO in dim light.
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronjh View Post
    Fedex delivered my NEX-7 from sonystyle today, along with the 24 1.8 from Amazon. All I can say is: I don't think many of you will regret your purchase! I haven't had much time today to play around with it. As is the case, with most new systems, finding your way around the menus will involve some trial and error. Feels fairly comfortable ergonomically, but could be cumbersome to some if their fingers are bit thick or fairly large. Here's a simple click with the nocti .95 wide open at 800 ISO in dim light.
    Ron
    Ron, congrats on getting your NEX-7! I'm still waiting for mine to arrive here in Canada.

I'm curious to see how you like the 24/1.8! Would love to hear your thoughts on the build, handling and performance of the zeiss.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Sony A-900. That body came with a wireless remote RMT-DSLR. I also purchased a Sony electronic cable release RM-S1AM. Does anyone know if either, or both will operate with the Sony NEX7?
    Thanks in advance
    Dave G in NJ.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    I have a Sony A-900. That body came with a wireless remote RMT-DSLR. I also purchased a Sony electronic cable release RM-S1AM. Does anyone know if either, or both will operate with the Sony NEX7?
    Thanks in advance
    Dave G in NJ.
    Dave, The RMT-DSLR will work. See page 58 in the manual (links to the manual http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32957). I do not think the wired remote can be used with the NEX'.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

remote for NEX 7

I was reading the Luminous-Landscape rolling review of the NEX 7 and I got to wondering: "Is there any cable remote available for a NEX 7?" I see in the manual that it can be used with an IR remote but I don't see any way of using a cable remote with it.

This latter would be kinda nice as then theoretically an RF remote could be used.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No cable.
    I have remotes that work from the back and front and then I have tried another remote that only worked from the front so there is some different technology being used between front and back.

The remote that I will be getting is here:

http://triggertrap.com/

The problem is a wireless remote and time-lapse are sort of a PITA combination as on my wired remotes, I can hang them on the tripod.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    No cable.
    I have remotes that work from the back and front and then I have tried another remote that only worked from the front so there is some different technology being used between front and back.

The remote that I will be getting is here:

http://triggertrap.com/

The problem is a wireless remote and time-lapse are sort of a PITA combination as on my wired remotes, I can hang them on the tripod.
    Interesting. The notion came to mind as I have Cactus V5 RF transceivers that can trigger both flash and shutter with the appropriate cable. They work great with the E-5 and E-1 bodies, and I could make a cable for them for the GXR since it has a cable remote ... I could buy another cable for both and do some customization.

I didn't see that there was a remote sensor on the back of the NEX 7 ... where is it?

Post Thanks / Like

Great discussion on the NEX 7 and lack of cable release here:
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29914

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

I didn't see that there was a remote sensor on the back of the NEX 7 ... where is it?

There isn't one. Not for a remote trigger.

There is no wired remote option with the NEX'.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I used this product to do a time lapse on the NEX 5n

http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/201...valometer.html

It would only trigger from the front of the camera and you can see in the video the positioning they used for the product. In reality this would be a PITA for a time-lapse in the field as there isn't a good spot to rest the remote with a tripod. I thought it was odd since I could always trigger the camera from the back with either the Sony remote that I had with my A900 or the cheap $5 remotes I bought on eBay. So when I got home after the time lapse I tried my cheap remote and absolutely could control it from behind the camera. I can run one more test on the 5N and that is with the front of the camera shielded off. (to avoid window reflections with this product (http://philipbloom.net/2011/12/01/lenskirt/) and see if I can still trigger the camera (rules out my other remote simply bouncing it signal off of a wall giving me a false positive result.

I don't have a NEX 7 yet but it will be one of the first things I test.
    Last edited by Terry; 19th December 2011 at 05:02.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Got my Sony Nex 7 body today! Took it out of the box at Glazer's Camera; put a charged battery and a SD card in; swapped a few lenses on and off, including my Zeiss 24mm; passed it around; and went back to work until around 8:30 pm...maybe, tomorrow?

Cheers, Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I am happy to report that my NEX-7 has arrived. The Zeiss lens is still MIA, but I am hoping that it will show up in short order.

Some camera pr0n:

My NEX-7 by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Sample shot:

Pentax Q + Standard 01 Prime lens by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Requisite cat picture (adhering to protocol):

IMG_20111221_0014 by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr
    Last edited by etrigan63; 20th December 2011 at 21:26.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Carlos: Congratulations! The cat didn't appear impressed.

Not worth starting a "Fun with Sony Nex 7" thread. Just screwing around at the Camera store. RAW converted into DNG's in LR3 and WB at "As Shot" or "Auto".

Zeiss 28mm M-Mount; ISO 1600

Sony 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3; 92mm; 1/60s @ f/5.6; ISO 1600

Zeiss M-mount; ISO 1600

Sony Zeiss 24mm f/1.8; 1/60s @ f/1.8; +1/3 EV; ISO 1600

Cheers, Matt