The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX5N Walk Around

FlypenFly

First day of ownership, will post 1:1 crops and further impressions later on.

My work flow right now is very awkward because LR3 doesn't support this camera yet. I export to 16bit ARGB TIFF files then import to LR from the Sony RAW converter.

The dynamic range available is very impressive, I have an inkling it exceeds the D7000 that I shot a lot with.

The Sony 16mm is OK, not impressive but OK and does well for itself considering how cheap it is, $150 used.

The CV 35mm F2.5 I used is pretty good, very compact and a smooth focus but the infinity stop is 5cm off with the adapter I'm using. I wonder if there's any way to fix that. Stopped down it is extremely sharp starting at F4, enough to rival good Zeiss primes.

Waist level shooting is more fun. These aren't by any means "good" or outstanding photos but just a day of walking around learning the camera. I wanted to share in case people were interested in this camera and lens.

Focus peaking seems to sometimes give you a false impression of what is in focus but it might be due to my lack of skill with it yet.

Camera UI is awkward at first and I detect a bit of lag even with the help system turned off when navigating menus. It isn't that bad but I can input faster than the camera can process. Photographic operational speed itself is excellent though.

Versus Micro Four Thirds
Certainly not a replacement for a full frame but as someone who has used the EPL2, EPL1, EP1, EP2, GF1, G1, GH1, and probably a few other MFT cameras, there is no comparison here. It feels two generations ahead in IQ, like comparing a Nikon D50 to a D7000. Now if only there were more native lenses! :)

These are not straight out of camera. They were taken in RAW and then I've PP the TIFF to my taste.

I used the two lenses I indicated above. One is 24mm effective and the other 50mm effective, you should easily be able to tell which is which.

1500px wide photos here: http://jaegraphy.com/gallery/nex5nday1/

_DSC0021.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC0025.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC0029.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC0030.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC0037.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC0040.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC0044.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC0049.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC0050.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC0052.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC0056.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

Mmm Zeissy

_DSC0057.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC0058.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

_DSC0061.jpg by jaetography, on Flickr

Rawfa

Thanks for the short review.
Is this the first time you are using the NEX system? I'm interested in finding out if it's worth to upgrade from the NEX5. From what I've read online high iso is supposed to be even better and the AF is also supposed to be faster.

P.S - As for native lenses, Sony has to take a page from the Oly and Panasonic book and start making some collapsible lenses. It's the only issue I have against the NEX system. most lenses are massive.

jfirneno

Thanks for the report. Very, very sharp. Love the first shot.

Now I'm really sorry I pre-ordered the 5N from Amazon instead of getting it immediately from Cameta or Beach. By a strange coincidence I was hoping to use it at a party tomorrow in the Washington Square area! The great high ISO test shots I've seen were why I ordered it. Guess I'll just have to wait.

Regards
John

Nettar

Thanks Flypen. Interesting report and pictures! I'd love to know more.

From what I have seen on the web, one might argue that the NEX5n has approximately a 2/3-stop to one-stop advantage over the A77 (albeit with non-final firmware in the latter) from about 400 ISO for the NEX5n (and 200 ISO for the A77) to 12800 ISO for the NEX5n (and 6400 ISO for the A77). That is, the images look very similar on the NEX5n, relative to how they do on the A77, for an ISO reduction corresponding to 2/3 to 1 stop on the A77. (A comparison of 12800 ISO on the A77 and 25600 on the NEX is similar, but neither is wonderful.) Of course, the final firmware on the A77 will likely make things look better, and in the case of the NEX7, both the firmware and the absence of a semi-reflecting mirror will potentially help it.

On top of all this, the NEXC3 seems to have overcome many or most of the cyan cast problems that afflict the NEX5 when using the Zeiss ZM18 and ZM25, and Voigtlander 12mm, lenses, among others. I assume that the NEX5n will be similar. It's not clear how the NEX7 will fare in this respect -- depends in part how deep its pixel buckets are, I guess. I'd love to know how Leica lenses fare on the NEXC3 or NEX5n. I guess their 18mm lens may not do so well as Zeiss's, since its exit pupil is closer to the sensor; and I've seen reports that Leica's 28mm Summicron still experiences problems on the NEXC3. I would be curious to know how the Voigtlander 15mm lens fares on either the NEXC3 or NEX5n.

Kind regards

Nettar

Last edited:

FlypenFly

I've posted my initial thoughts and some money shots:

http://www.jaegraphy.com/blog/

I think it's pretty fantastic what you get for the price. If you're okay with no viewfinder or else that's a $350 clip on add on. If you require a viewfinder, I would really wait for the NEX-7.

Terry

I've been avoiding reading the NEX threads to avoid being swept back into the vortex.

MPK2010

Thanks for the report. After a few days of use, I have to add my voice to those who are a bit surprised by the IQ jump offered by the NEX-5n. It looks like the same old camera but it's not.

I've used the original NEX-5 off and on since the first week of its U.S. release last summer but ultimately got bored with it after taking up another camera, and also getting tired of its bizarro faux space-age appearance with kit zoom and ultimately unsatisfying use with adapted M lenses. I tried the C3 recently but the ergonomics led me to return it before I really checked out the IQ in detail (although I really don't think it was as good as the 5n for some reason). Also have tried and still have the NX100 w/20 and 30 pancakes (wish the NEX had those, esp the 30).

After a few days of using the 5n here and there, mostly JPGs but a few RAWs processed in RPP, the IQ jump using the kit zoom is noticeable (have not done much with adapted lenses on it yet). This is now a great little camera, especially for the money. I look forward to being able to process RAWs in Lightroom. Also the video looks great. I have the NEX-7 on pre-order but suspect I will keep the 5n anyway. Now if we could just get a few more good lenses...

Amin

Just picked up an NEX-5N too. I don't notice much of a difference from the NEX-5 in terms of AF speed or image quality (RAW files). I do like the shutter sound better :).

Here's one of mine with the 18-55mm kit lens at 55mm and f/11, moderate crop.

This is a very small frog enjoying the cool trickle of a faucet:

Rawfa

Just curious as to why the 5N and not waiting for the 7?
Size and price. I have also read in some review that the NEX7 is not as good high iso wise (plus I don't need 24 megapixels at all).
I'm very happy with the NEX5 and from what I've been reading everywhere the NEX-5N is a very worthy upgrade.

ecsh

I preordered the 7. Got to have the viewfinder, as i am not an arms length shooter.

Mainly because I'm not very good at waiting. Also, price.
Hah, I'm with Amin on both accounts.

Why not enjoy the 5N, which by all early accounts is stellar, and trade up if the 7 is as truly great as is promised? I have a feeling most DPI members are well versed in the kit shuffle...

Although I'm pretty sure that I'll end up with both - the 5N as the compact with small adapted lenses and the 7 w/Zeiss 35 as the all rounder, replacing the 5D for most paid work.

Hurry up Amazon, ship that sucker.

Chad

Last edited:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I've been avoiding reading the NEX threads to avoid being swept back into the vortex.
My own personal research says that after making a statement like this it is just one to seven days before the camera is in your hands :deadhorse:

Keith

T

tigertimb

Just curious as to why the 5N and not waiting for the 7?
It seems to me that the NEX-5N might have a couple of tricks up it's sleeve that the NEX-7 won't

- it needs to be confirmed, but it might be better at high ISO and if so maybe with both noise and colours (Steve Huff raved about the colours)

- the external viewfinder can be removed when you want a more compact camera, but I also like the way it tilts. I can imagine using it in the vertical position a lot of the time, particularly when mounted on a tripod - for those used to using a viewfinder in this way, is it a benefit?

Amin

One thing I like better about the 5N is Auto ISO up to ISO 3200 vs 1600 on the NEX-7. I was always happy with Auto ISO up to 6400 on the GH2 and would like to set it to 12,800 on the 5N. Sony should let us set the upper limit for Auto ISO on all of these cameras :banghead:.