Site Sponsors

Thread: The new Zeiss 24mm or Pentax 31mm for Nex 7

chals

The new Zeiss 24mm or Pentax 31mm for Nex 7

I am just about to sell my Pentax gear and order the Nex 7 with 18-55, 18-200 and Zeiss 24mm for the Nex mount. But should I keep the Pentax 31mm ltd or go for the Zeiss? wich lens is the best performer? Is it possible to tell anything from the MTF- curves I have seen, or maybe users of the 24mm FF Zeiss have som opinions on this? I am hoping the Zeiss has comparable bokeh and corner sharpness when stopped down to 5.6. i am hoping for the Zeiss because I probably will miss AF. On the other hand, the bokeh and the tighter FOV of the Pentax is usable too. What will these lenses probably have in common, and what will be different?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The new Zeiss 24mm or Pentax 31mm for Nex 7

The 24 lens is not in stock yet so I guess few people can answer this...

chals

Maybe someone know the typical traits of the Zeiss a-mount 24mm and can compare them to the 31mm Pentax. Maybe

Post Thanks / Like

I have used both (ZA 24/2 and P31L), but not at the same time. The P31L would have a smoother bokeh based on my previous shot, especially in the corners. Resolution-wise, the ZA would have an upper hand. I do like the color rendering of the Zeiss more. Nonetheless, from what I have seen so far from the new ZA 24/1.8, I don't think it would share the same characteristic with the ZA 24/2.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have thought that these are completely different lenses and impossible to really compare,....the Zeiss will be designed for the NEX and presumably be fully automatic in use and offer the 'view' of a moderate wide,...the pentax will require use via an adaptor making an already quite large(ish) lens bigger than the Zeiss, more cumbersome and lacking any handshake with the NEX while giving a 'standard lens' view.......

....The pentax also looks to be fearsomely expensive for what it would offer,..even more costly than the pricey Zeiss.