The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

5N with Rokkor 50mm 1.4 3200 ISO

pegelli

Nice shot and you're a lucky man being able to choose between what looks like a collapsible cron 50/2 (didn't know these existed) and a Rokkor 1.4. :thumbs:

I had a collapsible Elmar 3.5, but sold it a long time ago

Nice shot and you're a lucky man being able to choose between what looks like a collapsible cron 50/2 (didn't know these existed) and a Rokkor 1.4. :thumbs:

I had a collapsible Elmar 3.5, but sold it a long time ago
Thanks for that info, wasn't aware of that one (not surprising since it came out 14 years before I was born). Have you posted pictures with it here?
I did some googling and According to this test it's a real gem.
Heading out to take some shots now. I developed a roll on my CL and it was super sharp with its signature slightly busy bokeh (which I like). Hoping it is as good on the NEX.

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks for that info, wasn't aware of that one (not surprising since it came out 14 years before I was born). Have you posted pictures with it here?
I did some googling and According to this test it's a real gem.
The summitar is a real nice lens! (The rokkor to BTW)
Here is a sample ; sorry with the GH2. (I am standing in line for the NEX7)
Bought it for bokeh also.

Michiel

pegelli

Yup, very different character than my Summicron 50/2 (on Nex 5)
Bokeh is way more smooth from that one (click to see larger version):

All these 50's, and so different

BTW, the Star of today's shoot was the Contax Zeiss 28mm 2.8 (C/Y). It is fantastic on the 5N. A bit large with the adapter but so easy to focus and gets close too. This would make an excellent street shooter.

The 5N JPEGS are extremely rich. I am editing them in Lightroom and Alien Exposure 3 just as I would with RAW files. I continue to be impressed...

Last edited:

pegelli

The 5N JPEGS are extremely rich. I am editing them in Lightroom and Alien Exposure 3 just as I would with RAW files. I continue to be impressed...
Indeed you're right, they look nice and very rich, especially for 3200 iso.
What jpg settings are you using re. contrast/saturation/noise reduction etc?
And are you doing a lot of additional adjustments in lightroom on those aspects?
The pictures look almost too punchy/contrasty to be taken with an old 1942 vintage lens.

Re. the lens, indeed the bokeh is very distinctly differentfrom my summicron 50/2 which is much smoother. Thanks for posting these!

Indeed you're right, they look nice and very rich, especially for 3200 iso.
What jpg settings are you using re. contrast/saturation/noise reduction etc?
And are you doing a lot of additional adjustments in lightroom on those aspects?
The pictures look almost too punchy/contrasty to be taken with an old 1942 vintage lens.

Re. the lens, indeed the bokeh is very distinctly differentfrom my summicron 50/2 which is much smoother. Thanks for posting these!
The only shot at 3200 was the first one of the Summitar on my desk, taken with the Rokkor. All the rest were at 100 ISO, taken with the Zeiss 28mm which is not a vintage '48 lens! It is very contrasty. As I said, I am editing with Alien Exposure 3 so there is some extra pop but these are not far off the original JPEGS.

It is interesting to note how easily the 5N JPEG files can be edited. They behave almost like a RAW file.