Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Share your best NEX-5N images here

Post Thanks / Like

I've only made it out briefly once with this camera so far, but here's a shot with my 18-55 kit lens at full tele, slight crop:

Can't wait to get some more time with it, not to mention Lightroom support!

I think I'll just stick with the kit zoom for now with the NEX-5N. It seems to be a very good lens. I've got my E-P3 for primes.

Post Thanks / Like

The NEX-5N+EVF+18-200 is so far a great travel combo (if light is not too dark)

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Finally the boxes with the 5N:

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Uwe
    You really do take very good photographs . . .
    Amin - that is also a lovely swan picture.
    Flypenfly - classic composition on the church shot.

Not only is my 5N coming from Digital Rev, but it seems I have an A77 to pick up tomorrow

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

Not only is my 5N coming from Digital Rev, but it seems I have an A77 to pick up tomorrow
    I feel like such a Penny pincher these days with only an NEX7 on order.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I feel like such a Penny pincher these days with only an NEX7 on order.
    I've been thinking that too Terry . . . . with your lovely MF back and that field camera . . . definitely a skinflint!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

>I feel like such a Penny pincher these days with only an NEX7 on order.

Now that I start liking the 5N I likely need to join the club.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Jono.

Uwe, I love what you're doing with the 18-200, and I look forward to reading along with your field notes on your site.

Jono and Terry, glad you're getting in on the NEX fun! I can't afford to buy any other lenses any time soon, but I think the humble NEX 18-55mm kit zoom is pretty great and that the NEX-5 and kit zoom will nicely complement my E-P3 and Micro 4/3 primes.

Post Thanks / Like

Plan to buy the 30mm Macro.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

HI Uwe
    It sounds like Panasonic may be making such a lens - but I'm not waiting any longer - the lure of the NEX7 is really too great - the 18-200 will probably do for now at least.

My m4/3 kit is all heading to ebay at the moment; the new little primes are lovely, but it still doesn't fit in a pocket, and weight for weight the NEX isn't so different. IQ for IQ it certainly is. Added to which, if I want to use little primes, I have a better solution in everything but low light.

I've been using the A55 with the 16-80 ZA, and although it's easy to criticise, it's actually really good in the 'real world' Such a lens for NEX would be really good.

all the best
    I have to say that if the Nex7 delivers what the specs indicate I would also evaluate to sell my m4/3. However I would probably rather use it with the new prime, the more I use primes the less I am interested in zooms. 1) I have a better feeling for a certain fixed focal length regarding the chracter of the image I will get with it and 2) More and more I use shallow DOF as often as I can.
    When I use zooms there are too many situations where I just zoom because I am too lazy to change distance to subject.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    I have to say that if the Nex7 delivers what the specs indicate I would also evaluate to sell my m4/3. However I would probably rather use it with the new prime, the more I use primes the less I am interested in zooms. 1) I have a better feeling for a certain fixed focal length regarding the chracter of the image I will get with it and 2) More and more I use shallow DOF as often as I can.
    When I use zooms there are too many situations where I just zoom because I am too lazy to change distance to subject.
    HI Tom
    Well, I'm going in the other direction. If I'm shooting something planned, then okay - primes every time (usually with the M9).
    However, if I'm out and about looking for subjects (which is what the NEX will be for), then whilst I absolutely agree that the shallow dof, combined with a continuity of shooting with primes is excellent . . . but I miss shots - regularly, nothing about being lazy. Today was a perfect example - out for a run with the dog just after 7am - I'd dithered whether to take a 35mm or just stick the zoom on the A55 . . which is what I did.
    This is what I would have missed:

(A55; Zeiss 16-80 at 80mm)

. . . .and this is what I would have missed yesterday

(A55; Zeiss 16-80 at 70mm)
    (sorry for the slightly off topic images, but they seemed worth posting to illustrate a point).

So, for me, small portable cameras are for grab shots, and zooms are better for grab shots than primes . . . . .

It seems to me that it's often the subject that matters, and shooting with primes just isn't the right thing if you don't know what your subject will be.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

>and shooting with primes just isn't the right thing if you don't know what your subject will be.

That is the point and also if the nature (size and distance) of your subjects change all the time (e.g. exploring a place).
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

What we don't know, Jono, is what images you would have made had you brought the 35mm prime instead of the zoom .

I suspect that I personally use the tele option too often when it's there for the taking. Nice thing about these little cameras is that it's easy to have two of them with you at a given time - eg, NEX with zoom and M9 (or E-P3 in my case) with prime.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Amin
    Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    What we don't know, Jono, is what images you would have made had you brought the 35mm prime instead of the zoom .
    Oh - I have those shots too
    Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    I suspect that I personally use the tele option too often when it's there for the taking. Nice thing about these little cameras is that it's easy to have two of them with you at a given time - eg, NEX with zoom and M9 (or E-P3 in my case) with prime.
    Of course, you're right (and I nearly always do have both of these things in my bag), but in this case, unless I'd had the zoom in my hand, I would not have got either of these shots (maybe they aren't that great, but they are just examples of the principle from the last two days!).

Actually, whilst discussing what's in the bag . . . walking around Crete for nearly 3 weeks, I had an E-P3 with the 14-150, and an M9 with the 50 f0.95 (and an ND filter). It was a sweet combination, and there will be pictures on the net in the next few days

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, whilst discussing what's in the bag . . . walking around Crete for nearly 3 weeks, I had an E-P3 with the 14-150, and an M9 with the 50 f0.95 (and an ND filter). It was a sweet combination, and there will be pictures on the net in the next few days
    Wow, sounds like a wonderful trip. Looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Great shot of the sea otter, Uwe!

Post Thanks / Like

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Jono,
    I am surprized again and again how you come up with so many interesting images.
    Well, sometimes one has to be quick and then a zoom is definetly faster than switching a lens.
    And I am not talking against zoom lenses making sense for some things.
    It is just when I carry the G3 lately I rather bring 20 and 45 mm primes instead of the 14-45 or the 14-140. If I use the M9 I shoot 90% in the f1.4-2.8 range.

Now if you go through your crete images and choose the 10 best ones, how many come from which combo? (I am not asking because i expect a certain answer but because I am really interested).

Post Thanks / Like

HI Tom
    Well, I'm going in the other direction. If I'm shooting something planned, then okay - primes every time (usually with the M9).
    However, if I'm out and about looking for subjects (which is what the NEX will be for), then whilst I absolutely agree that the shallow dof, combined with a continuity of shooting with primes is excellent . . . but I miss shots - regularly, nothing about being lazy. Today was a perfect example - out for a run with the dog just after 7am - I'd dithered whether to take a 35mm or just stick the zoom on the A55 . . which is what I did.
    This is what I would have missed:

So, for me, small portable cameras are for grab shots, and zooms are better for grab shots than primes . . . . .

It seems to me that it's often the subject that matters, and shooting with primes just isn't the right thing if you don't know what your subject will be.

all the best
    Jono,

interesting observation and I back most of it. Did you keep your M43 gear? Or did you change completely to Sony (Alpha and / or NEX)?

Asking this, because I am really thinking of going back to Sony again and sell all my Olympus E5 stuff plus my M43. Would replace then with A77 plus some Zeiss zooms and primes and NEX7 for when I want to have a compact alternative with high flexibility.

I think that the A77 with Zeiss glass easily beats E5 with SHG glass or is on par plus it delivers far better high ISO at double the resolution. Similar for NEX7 compared to EP3.

I know I was already in the Sony camp some time ago, but meanwhile with these latest offerings it is pretty hard to resist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,
    I am surprized again and again how you come up with so many interesting images.
    Ahhhh - by having a zoom on my camera
    Still, thank you for the compliment.
    Well, sometimes one has to be quick and then a zoom is definetly faster than switching a lens.
    And I am not talking against zoom lenses making sense for some things.
    And I'm not talking against primes making sense for some things as well (I've just spent a joyful couple of hours with the A77 and the Zeiss 135 f1.8, definitely a wonderful combination.
    It is just when I carry the G3 lately I rather bring 20 and 45 mm primes instead of the 14-45 or the 14-140. If I use the M9 I shoot 90% in the f1.4-2.8 range.

Now if you go through your crete images and choose the 10 best ones, how many come from which combo? (I am not asking because i expect a certain answer but because I am really interested).
    Well Tom, at a rough count it's about 7/3 to the Leica . . . but that's because when there was a special landscape and I had the time, obviously I'd use the Leica. There are lots of shots I like which were taken with the Pen which I simply couldn't have got with the Leica, usually because they were too far away or just a shot out of the blue.

But I take your point!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Jono,

interesting observation and I back most of it. Did you keep your M43 gear? Or did you change completely to Sony (Alpha and / or NEX)?

Asking this, because I am really thinking of going back to Sony again and sell all my Olympus E5 stuff plus my M43. Would replace then with A77 plus some Zeiss zooms and primes and NEX7 for when I want to have a compact alternative with high flexibility.

I think that the A77 with Zeiss glass easily beats E5 with SHG glass or is on par plus it delivers far better high ISO at double the resolution. Similar for NEX7 compared to EP3.

I know I was already in the Sony camp some time ago, but meanwhile with these latest offerings it is pretty hard to resist
    Hi There Peter
    What you say about high ISO and resolution is definitely true - if you actually need higher ISO and resolution!

yes - all the Pentax and m4/3 gear is either gone, or on ebay this weekend.
    In your position I'd be careful though - I really do want the extra resolution, but you have your MF gear for that. The Sony colour is shining through with the A77, just the way you didn't like it! The ergonomics haven't changed either. But times change, and so do our tastes!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hi There Peter
    But times change, and so do our tastes!
    Jono,

how right you are

Not saying that I do not like the E5 but my issue is that I do not see ANY future for the E system. Thus I will no longer invest.

With the M43 system I am happy but hoped it would better integrate the E system glass, which it does not. Maybe a Pen Pro will do but when that comes is up in the stars and I am not going to wait for this.

My MF (H3D39) is sitting in the shelf as I am almost all time too lazy to carry it. Plus I suspect that a future A99 (or however this FF beast will be called) will outperform the H3D39 at least if used with Zeiss glass. So I am just keeping the Hasselblad in order to get great rebate when I want to change to Phase (39% for 39MP). Should Leica come with a similar offer I would also think about the S System.

Not completely decided yet but I am pretty close to move to Sony again with an A77, Nex7 and later a FF DSLR.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Jono,

how right you are

Not completely decided yet but I am pretty close to move to Sony again with an A77, Nex7 and later a FF DSLR.
    Well Peter
    Good luck with your decision -

of course, I think you're quite right ('cos that's what I'm doing )

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Apparently I couldn't stay away from Sony's spell. It seems to be catching.

Jim

Two with the kit zoom (one with the Panorama mode) **Sorry only one with the kit zoom - it turns out the panorama was also with the 16**

One with the 16

And the last one with an old Nikon 100 Series E. However I haven't really been not able to nail focus with this yet.

Last edited by JMaher; 24th September 2011 at 16:16.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    One with the 16

Very nice
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks. The 16 may not be a great lens but I really like having something wide to play with. Your shots have me thinking I might want a 18-200 as well.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Some new shots from today (18-200mm):

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Uwe - I really like the truck a lot. Something about the detail in the truck combined with your chosen aperture works for me (not too OOF in the background).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. The picture is colorized (blend of B&W and color).

By the way just behind the truck is a Highway.

Last edited by ustein; 24th September 2011 at 18:00.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Uwe

I love the color and shapes in "Glass Oven"

Keith

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Uwe - I really like the truck a lot. Something about the detail in the truck combined with your chosen aperture works for me (not too OOF in the background).
    Hi Uwe
    +1 on the truck - great shot. mine hasn't arrived, but I'm pretty occupied with the A77, so I guess I'll survive until next weekend

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

By the way did I say that all are 18-200mm.

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    By the way did I say that all are 18-200mm.

That's wonderful
    . . . . sounds like the 18-200 is a must (whaddyareckon - any reservations?) . . .

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

This is kind of a swiss army knife zoom. Of course not as good as primes but not sure how often it really matters.

I am very much surprised (positive).

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love the truck too on -Casa de Fruta -. The whole series are nice!

I think/hope that 18-200 zoom will be much better balanced on the Nex7.

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like

Holding the 18-200mm with NEX-5n is no problem for me (have smallish hands though).

Here is my setup which I use for video. Zacuto grip:

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks odd . . .but not impossible
    I can't wait!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

As said the grip is for video and not stills. But I also keep it while shooting stills to be able to switch to video fast.

Last edited by ustein; 25th September 2011 at 14:53.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Not something I'd usually post up, but for a jpeg slightly tweaked in LR it does show off how well the high ISO capabilities of the Nex-5n are..

Shot at ISO 3200

Fashion on Ice - Behind the Scenes with Tara Lipinski & Karolina Kurkova by PeteTsai, on Flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by petetsai View Post
    Not something I'd usually post up, but for a jpeg slightly tweaked in LR it does show off how well the high ISO capabilities of the Nex-5n are..

Shot at ISO 3200

Fashion on Ice - Behind the Scenes with Tara Lipinski & Karolina Kurkova
    Gordon Benett . . . look at those teeth!!!
    good shot though - and the high ISO is great.
    all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    Stop or I'll shoot!!
    SONY A900
    Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
    My Site|Facebook Fanpage|

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Utah View Post
    Stop or I'll shoot!!

It looks like some kind of ray gun out of star wars!

discrete . . . possibly not!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well . . . I've always liked Kai's reviews at Digital Rev . . . so I ordered the camera from them late on Thursday night . . . It was delivered in the UK on Monday morning at 10.30.

I find it pretty hard to believe really - ace performance.

. . . i'm not allowed to open it until I've done some work though

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kai is pretty entertaining....and even though there is a lot of "show" he's done his homework in advance and knows what he wants to cover - and the content is usually relevant.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It looks like some kind of ray gun out of star wars!

discrete . . . possibly not!
    I wish I could go back in time and give one to Cartier-Bresson

Two years ago in this forum I said the camera would disappear into the lens - this proves I was right. I also made a joke about medical uses of small cameras and got into trouble. But looking at this combination makes me wince

Keith

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    I also made a joke about medical uses of small cameras and got into trouble. But looking at this combination makes me wince

Keith

Unless you are a different man from me the NEX 5n would make you wince too.

I was allowed 5 minutes with mine . . so of course I put on the Noctilux 0.95 for a little play with the peaking (after spending 10 irritating minutes working out how to switch it on).

To be honest . . I'm completely gobsmacked f0.95 at 1000 ISO in a darkened room is a revelation.

Now I'm going to have a go with my 35 'lux! (when I've done this bit of work I have to do )

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The NEX-5n with that lens kind of reminds me of the Hubble Space Telescope which is mostly lens.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO