Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Share your best NEX-5N images here

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Share your best NEX-5N images here

Uwe, I have to say, you have posted some very excellent shots with your 5n. Exceptional IQ to say the least not to mention your terrific "eye" for the shot. You have also left me scratching my head a bit with the comment "colorized" and blending color with black and white. Way over my photographic post processing head!

Thanks for sharing ..... now I'll go kick my NEX 5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

Unless you are a different man from me the NEX 5n would make you wince too.

I was allowed 5 minutes with mine . . so of course I put on the Noctilux 0.95 for a little play with the peaking (after spending 10 irritating minutes working out how to switch it on).

To be honest . . I'm completely gobsmacked f0.95 at 1000 ISO in a darkened room is a revelation.

Now I'm going to have a go with my 35 'lux! (when I've done this bit of work I have to do )
    I was just commenting on another forum that the peaking function with manual lenses is so much fun that I'm not sure I will buy the e-mount 24mm 1.8 when it comes out (but then again by that time the novelty of manual focusing may have worn off). But the low light capability (on jpegs) is remarkable. I hope LR3 hurries up with the raw support so I can look at those soon.

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    The NEX-5n with that lens kind of reminds me of the Hubble Space Telescope which is mostly lens.
    It is but works just fine for me.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    I was just commenting on another forum that the peaking function with manual lenses is so much fun that I'm not sure I will buy the e-mount 24mm 1.8 when it comes out (but then again by that time the novelty of manual focusing may have worn off). But the low light capability (on jpegs) is remarkable. I hope LR3 hurries up with the raw support so I can look at those soon.

Regards,
    John
    If manual focusing is good the novelty doesn't wear off - my first impression is that this is really very good.

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    It is but works just fine for me.
    Fine for me as well.

I guess I have to post something - but all I've had to fool with is our night-time kitchen with nasty eco lights.

Here is a first attempt to focus the leica 0.95 noctilux using focus peaking.
    shot at f0.95 - jpg (because nobody supports the raw files yet). Just a little colour tweaking.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

shot at f0.95 - jpg (because nobody supports the raw files yet). Just a little colour tweaking.
    To paraphrase the Joker (Jack Nicholson version) "Where does he get these wonderful toys"?

Man I'd love to rent that lens someday for a week. But I'd have to make sure I took out the insurance!

Regards
    John

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Nex 5N for my daughter (20), esp. for her two semesters abroad, so I could give it a try. I experienced kind of a new freedom when I used it spontaneously. (A-mode + auto-iso up to 3200, and just get started) A splendid camera for social photography. Auto-hdr is great, and handheld twilight and sweep panorama are cool non-nonsense features. What I didn't expect: it was fun to use the touch screen for the right focus. The menu is more to my daughter's liking. It's true, the camera is not pocketable, but for a young woman more important it is bag-able, and in the two parts hard leather case (BV-electronics via Amazon), which fits exactly, it is well-protected.
    Here is a tourist photo, not art, but the typical souvenir photo the camera mainly is intended for:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To paraphrase the Joker (Jack Nicholson version) "Where does he get these wonderful toys"?

Man I'd love to rent that lens someday for a week. But I'd have to make sure I took out the insurance!

Regards
    John
    HI John . . .yes, I'm very lucky to have such toys . . but they certainly do get used (generally on the intended camera).

. . . . and yes, the NEX is not insured, but the Noctilux is!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HansAlbert View Post
    I bought a Nex 5N for my daughter (20), esp. for her two semesters abroad, so I could give it a try. I experienced kind of a new freedom when I used it spontaneously. (A-mode + auto-iso up to 3200, and just get started) A splendid camera for social photography. Auto-hdr is great, and handheld twilight and sweep panorama are cool non-nonsense features. What I didn't expect: it was fun to use the touch screen for the right focus. The menu is more to my daughter's liking. It's true, the camera is not pocketable, but for a young woman more important it is bag-able, and in the two parts hard leather case (BV-electronics via Amazon), which fits exactly, it is well-protected.
    Here is a tourist photo, not art, but the typical souvenir photo the camera mainly is intended for:

HI There Hans
    Nice to hear from you, I hope you are well and flourishing - and a nice photo as well. I've been using these little cameras on and off since they first arrived, but with this camera and the NEX7 it really does seem as though they've come of age. The add on viewfinder is something of a must I think, and it doesn't disturb the size too much.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HansAlbert View Post

Pretty impressive for that little camera. It's nice and sharp. What lens?

Regards
    John

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

If manual focusing is good the novelty doesn't wear off - my first impression is that this is really very good.

Fine for me as well.

I guess I have to post something - but all I've had to fool with is our night-time kitchen with nasty eco lights.

Lovely shot Jono, despite the nasty lighting. There are at least three raw converters that will handle NEX-5N files, if you are willing to stray from Aperture for awhile. I'm currently using C1 (v6.3), but RPP and RawDeveloper are also quite good.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Lovely shot Jono, despite the nasty lighting. There are at least three raw converters that will handle NEX-5N files, if you are willing to stray from Aperture for awhile. I'm currently using C1 (v6.3), but RPP and RawDeveloper are also quite good.
    Hi Carl
    thanks for the heads up . . . . I've downloaded C1 6.3 (I've bought in up to version 5) - but I never really liked it that much.

I'll use it if I have to (i.e. if I take a decent photo), but in the meantime I'm importing pairs to Aperture, and I'll swap the masters to the RAW file when support comes. Same goes for the A77/

As for the jpgs - the colour is good, and they seem to print well.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

With the Contax C/Y 25mm 2.8 - Mobile Me is rendering these soft compared to originals...

Post Thanks / Like

Sony Nex5N, Yashica 28mm ML f2.8, ISO 400, 1/30 sec @ ~f6.3
    Last edited by turbines; 27th September 2011 at 06:30.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love the Wheels Turbines - I managed to get out for a run with the dog this morning (a pretty morning). So these are the first 'proper' shots I've taken with mine.

I must say, it's fun to use, and the viewfinder seems excellent. These are all taken with the kit 18-55, which seems pretty impressive to me, nothing nasty and lots of good. Exif should be there if you are interested:

Very dewy today - we both got thoroughly wet

It's cobweb time again

Nice International 68 with a Quickie 2560

Mushrooms in the plough

Early sun behind the lone tree
    Last edited by jonoslack; 27th September 2011 at 11:08.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Love the Wheels Turbines - I managed to get out for a run with the dog this morning (a pretty morning). So these are the first 'proper' shots I've taken with mine.

I must say, it's fun to use, and the viewfinder seems excellent. These are all taken with the kit 18-55, which seems pretty impressive to me, nothing nasty and lots of good. Exif should be there if you are interested:
    Jono:

Quite a productive walk! That spider deserves kudos for her beautiful work. The sun in the tree and the mushroom were also both very nice. Thanks for providing NEX 5N positive reinforcement.

All these great NEX 5N results are making me nervous about my other camera (A-850). Maybe I'll be in the market for a NEX 9 (if there is ever such a thing as a full frame NEX.

regards
    John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono:

Quite a productive walk! That spider deserves kudos for her beautiful work. The sun in the tree and the mushroom were also both very nice. Thanks for providing NEX 5N positive reinforcement.

All these great NEX 5N results are making me nervous about my other camera (A-850). Maybe I'll be in the market for a NEX 9 (if there is ever such a thing as a full frame NEX.

regards
    John
    Hi John
    Thanks for the kind words . . . . Don't worry about your A850 though, my A900 is still firmly established. The 'problem' with the NEX range is the lack of lenses, and although the Noctilux is fun, it's really better off on my M9.

On the other hand it's lovely to be able to go out with something which weighs a few hundred grams, and still to be confident that it'll take good pictures.

I can't wait for the NEX 7 . . . I think that really might be a game changer, but we will see.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Uwe:

That is a remarkable composition. Highly evocative.

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. We like there (kind of rare) nice loner oaks. Should be nice in winter without leaves.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Uwe: the sky... it feels like I can see brush strokes! Beautiful! Was that from some special PP?

Jono: love the background and color of the second cobweb photo!

Post Thanks / Like

>Was that from some special PP?

Texture Blending
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh Dear
    Mine seems to have died . . . which presumably means it has to go all the way back to Hong Kong.
    It took 250 shots without issue, then it started seizing up when I tried to review an image . . . now it simply says 'no card' whichever card I put in it.
    all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Dear
    Mine seems to have died . . . which presumably means it has to go all the way back to Hong Kong.
    It took 250 shots without issue, then it started seizing up when I tried to review an image . . . now it simply says 'no card' whichever card I put in it.
    all the best
    Ouch.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ouch.
    Well - I've had many sony cameras, and this is the first with any kind of a fault - unlike some other makes I could mention!

Sod's law says that it would be the one that came all the way from Hong Kong, but so it goes.

I'll report back on DigitalRev's customer support later on! I guess I'll have some wait before it's fixed (they're talking of having it back for inspection and repair).

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

turbines: beautiful! please share the lens and settings

Post Thanks / Like

Zeiss Tevidon 70mm, ISO 400, AP mode @ ~f3

Post Thanks / Like

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Shot a few skyline shots last night tested the 5n out with my nikkor 14-24mm f2.8. I love this camera and this lens, although they do make for a slightly odd combination.

Chicago at Dusk by PeteTsai, on Flickr

Chicago at Dusk by PeteTsai, on Flickr

Chicago by PeteTsai, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Great night shots!
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great shots from all

Update on my NEX 5n problem.
    after behaving oddly and locking up on review, the camera died completely. (trying different batteries / cards etc. had no effect)
    I left it for 24 hours whilst getting in touch with DigitalRev.

When I picked it up again and put in the battery it was fixed - back to normal.

DigitalRev customer services seems pretty good, and it's possible to have a real dialog with them, which is great. They suggested that as the camera was less than 4 days old, they should have it back for replacement anyway. So it was posted back this morning (they will refund postage costs up to 60 - it only cost 30).

So - sad to see the camera go back, but DigitalRev have definitely got points so far.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Two shots with the Contax G 28mm f/2.8 Biogon on the NEX-5N. Exposure info in exif.

Carl
    Gallery

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petetsai View Post
    Shot a few skyline shots last night tested the 5n out with my nikkor 14-24mm f2.8. I love this camera and this lens, although they do make for a slightly odd combination.
    Beautiful images! How did you change the aperture value of Nikon 14-24/2.8 or these were taken at open aperture?

Post Thanks / Like

Ocean~ I'm using a nikon G adapter to NEX, so it has ring that allows manual adjustment to the aperture. Right now I'm metering it wide open and then manually stopping it down to the f stop I want.

Here is another shot with 5n I took this week while we still have nice weather...

Street Shooting Tuesday by PeteTsai, on Flickr

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks petetsai! I didn't know such adapter exists. I will look into it.

Post Thanks / Like

With Leica 50/2 and 75/2... almost a dream system. I come from Pentax 645D and Canon 1/5 land. Certainly a contender for many, many types of shooting and output targets. Looking forward to the NEX-7 as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Really enjoying the Nokton 40mm 1.4 for B/W images...we are doing some remodeling and took these of the crew preparing the foundation support. Don't think they ever had a gringo taking pictures of them while they worked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Two shots with the Contax G 28mm f/2.8 Biogon on the NEX-5N. Exposure info in exif.
    Love the Biogon on the NEX-5N but hate the adapter I had (Fotodiox). It would grind bad and nothing kills the experience worse. But the lens was amazing.

These shots show how sharp it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nebster View Post
    With Leica 50/2 and 75/2... almost a dream system. I come from Pentax 645D and Canon 1/5 land. Certainly a contender for many, many types of shooting and output targets. Looking forward to the NEX-7 as well.
    That last shot is one for the family album. Great moment.

Post Thanks / Like

great shots all! Turbines, really like that grass shot

some with the Rokkor 58 1.2

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    Love the Biogon on the NEX-5N but hate the adapter I had (Fotodiox). It would grind bad and nothing kills the experience worse. But the lens was amazing.

These shots show how sharp it is.
    Thanks ShowPerformance. I guess I was lucky that my Fotodiox adapter has been very smooth. Must be a QC problem with production of these adapters
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Some signage around the waterfront after treatments to control invasive Hydrilla. Unhappy boaters have been stuck in the harbor after the waterways closed for the month. Data in exif.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

More with the Rokkor 58 1.2

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rsolti13 View Post
    More with the Rokkor 58 1.2
    Nice forest series. I really like the fern shot.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Blades, shot with the 50mm f/1.5 Nokton on the NEX-5N.

Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A touch of fall color. Windy and spitting rain. This one with the 40 Nokton (Nice little lens, but I prefer the 50).

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Nex-5N + 18-200mm
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

35 f/1.2 II

ZM 50 Planar

Sony 16

Post Thanks / Like

Rokkor 58 f/1.2

Post Thanks / Like

Uwe: Really outstanding pictures as usual - as well with the Nex 5n! Always a joy to contemplate them and an enriching encouragement. Thanks for sharing!
    Best regards - Hermann