The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Share your best NEX-5N images here

Jim DE

Uwe, I have to say, you have posted some very excellent shots with your 5n. Exceptional IQ to say the least not to mention your terrific "eye" for the shot. You have also left me scratching my head a bit with the comment "colorized" and blending color with black and white. Way over my photographic post processing head!

Thanks for sharing ..... now I'll go kick my NEX 5 ;););)

jfirneno

:ROTFL:
Unless you are a different man from me the NEX 5n would make you wince too.

I was allowed 5 minutes with mine . . so of course I put on the Noctilux 0.95 for a little play with the peaking (after spending 10 irritating minutes working out how to switch it on).

To be honest . . I'm completely gobsmacked f0.95 at 1000 ISO in a darkened room is a revelation.

Now I'm going to have a go with my 35 'lux! (when I've done this bit of work I have to do :eek:)
I was just commenting on another forum that the peaking function with manual lenses is so much fun that I'm not sure I will buy the e-mount 24mm 1.8 when it comes out (but then again by that time the novelty of manual focusing may have worn off). But the low light capability (on jpegs) is remarkable. I hope LR3 hurries up with the raw support so I can look at those soon.

Regards,
John

jonoslack

I was just commenting on another forum that the peaking function with manual lenses is so much fun that I'm not sure I will buy the e-mount 24mm 1.8 when it comes out (but then again by that time the novelty of manual focusing may have worn off). But the low light capability (on jpegs) is remarkable. I hope LR3 hurries up with the raw support so I can look at those soon.

Regards,
John
If manual focusing is good the novelty doesn't wear off - my first impression is that this is really very good.

It is but works just fine for me.
Fine for me as well.

I guess I have to post something - but all I've had to fool with is our night-time kitchen with nasty eco lights.

Here is a first attempt to focus the leica 0.95 noctilux using focus peaking.
shot at f0.95 - jpg (because nobody supports the raw files yet). Just a little colour tweaking.

jfirneno

shot at f0.95 - jpg (because nobody supports the raw files yet). Just a little colour tweaking.
To paraphrase the Joker (Jack Nicholson version) "Where does he get these wonderful toys"?

Man I'd love to rent that lens someday for a week. But I'd have to make sure I took out the insurance!

Regards
John

HansAlbert

I bought a Nex 5N for my daughter (20), esp. for her two semesters abroad, so I could give it a try. I experienced kind of a new freedom when I used it spontaneously. (A-mode + auto-iso up to 3200, and just get started) A splendid camera for social photography. Auto-hdr is great, and handheld twilight and sweep panorama are cool non-nonsense features. What I didn't expect: it was fun to use the touch screen for the right focus. The menu is more to my daughter's liking. It's true, the camera is not pocketable, but – for a young woman more important – it is bag-able, and in the two parts hard leather case (BV-electronics via Amazon), which fits exactly, it is well-protected.
Here is a tourist photo, not art, but the typical souvenir photo the camera mainly is intended for:

jonoslack

To paraphrase the Joker (Jack Nicholson version) "Where does he get these wonderful toys"?

Man I'd love to rent that lens someday for a week. But I'd have to make sure I took out the insurance!

Regards
John
HI John . . .yes, I'm very lucky to have such toys . . but they certainly do get used (generally on the intended camera).

. . . . and yes, the NEX is not insured, but the Noctilux is!

all the best

jonoslack

I bought a Nex 5N for my daughter (20), esp. for her two semesters abroad, so I could give it a try. I experienced kind of a new freedom when I used it spontaneously. (A-mode + auto-iso up to 3200, and just get started) A splendid camera for social photography. Auto-hdr is great, and handheld twilight and sweep panorama are cool non-nonsense features. What I didn't expect: it was fun to use the touch screen for the right focus. The menu is more to my daughter's liking. It's true, the camera is not pocketable, but – for a young woman more important – it is bag-able, and in the two parts hard leather case (BV-electronics via Amazon), which fits exactly, it is well-protected.
Here is a tourist photo, not art, but the typical souvenir photo the camera mainly is intended for:
HI There Hans
Nice to hear from you, I hope you are well and flourishing - and a nice photo as well. I've been using these little cameras on and off since they first arrived, but with this camera and the NEX7 it really does seem as though they've come of age. The add on viewfinder is something of a must I think, and it doesn't disturb the size too much.

jfirneno

Pretty impressive for that little camera. It's nice and sharp. What lens?

Regards
John

scho

If manual focusing is good the novelty doesn't wear off - my first impression is that this is really very good.

Fine for me as well.

I guess I have to post something - but all I've had to fool with is our night-time kitchen with nasty eco lights.

Lovely shot Jono, despite the nasty lighting. There are at least three raw converters that will handle NEX-5N files, if you are willing to stray from Aperture for awhile. I'm currently using C1 (v6.3), but RPP and RawDeveloper are also quite good.

jonoslack

Lovely shot Jono, despite the nasty lighting. There are at least three raw converters that will handle NEX-5N files, if you are willing to stray from Aperture for awhile. I'm currently using C1 (v6.3), but RPP and RawDeveloper are also quite good.
Hi Carl
thanks for the heads up . . . . I've downloaded C1 6.3 (I've bought in up to version 5) - but I never really liked it that much.

I'll use it if I have to (i.e. if I take a decent photo), but in the meantime I'm importing pairs to Aperture, and I'll swap the masters to the RAW file when support comes. Same goes for the A77/

As for the jpgs - the colour is good, and they seem to print well.

jonoslack

Love the Wheels Turbines - I managed to get out for a run with the dog this morning (a pretty morning). So these are the first 'proper' shots I've taken with mine.

I must say, it's fun to use, and the viewfinder seems excellent. These are all taken with the kit 18-55, which seems pretty impressive to me, nothing nasty and lots of good. Exif should be there if you are interested:

Very dewy today - we both got thoroughly wet

It's cobweb time again

Nice International 68 with a Quickie 2560 :ROTFL:

Mushrooms in the plough

Early sun behind the lone tree

Last edited:

jfirneno

Love the Wheels Turbines - I managed to get out for a run with the dog this morning (a pretty morning). So these are the first 'proper' shots I've taken with mine.

I must say, it's fun to use, and the viewfinder seems excellent. These are all taken with the kit 18-55, which seems pretty impressive to me, nothing nasty and lots of good. Exif should be there if you are interested:
Jono:

Quite a productive walk! That spider deserves kudos for her beautiful work. The sun in the tree and the mushroom were also both very nice. Thanks for providing NEX 5N positive reinforcement.

All these great NEX 5N results are making me nervous about my other camera (A-850). Maybe I'll be in the market for a NEX 9 (if there is ever such a thing as a full frame NEX.

regards
John

jonoslack

Jono:

Quite a productive walk! That spider deserves kudos for her beautiful work. The sun in the tree and the mushroom were also both very nice. Thanks for providing NEX 5N positive reinforcement.

All these great NEX 5N results are making me nervous about my other camera (A-850). Maybe I'll be in the market for a NEX 9 (if there is ever such a thing as a full frame NEX.

regards
John
Hi John
Thanks for the kind words . . . . Don't worry about your A850 though, my A900 is still firmly established. The 'problem' with the NEX range is the lack of lenses, and although the Noctilux is fun, it's really better off on my M9.

On the other hand it's lovely to be able to go out with something which weighs a few hundred grams, and still to be confident that it'll take good pictures.

I can't wait for the NEX 7 . . . I think that really might be a game changer, but we will see.

all the best

ustein

Contributing Editor
Thanks. We like there (kind of rare) nice loner oaks. Should be nice in winter without leaves.

Hosermage

Uwe: the sky... it feels like I can see brush strokes! Beautiful! Was that from some special PP?

Jono: love the background and color of the second cobweb photo!