The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Share your best NEX-5N images here

jonoslack

HI Tom
Hi Jono,
those images look very rich!
I have to say my feelings about the 28-90 on the Nex are somewhat mixed regading the handling. I am a bit worried to hang so much weight on such small camera.
Ah well . . .if it breaks it breaks! I tend to carry it by hand with the lens downward . . . or else by the lens.

. . . if you don't like it I might even rescue you (I'd really like one on the A77).

Regarding 24mm - yes I also saw that comparison between the 24 Zeiss and the 24Lux. I just plan to use the Nex on occasions where I might not want to bring a 5k lens (ok one could say then a 1k lens isnt right as well), for example when goin on bike trips.
No bike trips for me :cry: I still have the beautiful hand made Young's bike which I built in the 70's (the frame was made to fit, then I made the bike up including building the wheels). Unfortunately time is short, and if exercise is on the agenda the dog wants to come too!
Also as nice as focus peaking is I am still not yet so confident in its accurancy.
When manual focusing the M9 is still my system of choice and having AF for the Nex seperates those systems a little more for me.
Hmmm - well, there's no question that the M9 is still my system of choice when I 'mean it' - but I guess that when I want best AF then I'd tend to use the A77, that might change with the NEX7 and the adapter - not sure yet.

But as for focus peaking - it's not always perfect . . . but then I don't always get it perfect with the M9 . . .and AF isn't always perfect either! But like most MF systems it takes practice to get it right - and like ALL focusing systems there are mistakes. I'm getting as many keepers as I would with anything else I think.

With the grip the Nex5n works very well even one handed and with the swivel display it encourages to be used lower and higher than eye level.
The bad thing is that I found the kit lens very good in the beginning but comparing it to the Zeiss one gets aware of the weak points of the kit lens.(which I still find pretty good for the price)
I think the kit is pretty good - but I usually use the 18-200 if I'm going for a 'one camera one lens' solution - and if I'm taking more than that the kit lens gets left behind then too!

I think the thing about the 28-90 is that it does definitely have a little of that leica 'zing' about it.

back to work :(

have a great Sunday!

Paratom

HI Tom

Ah well . . .if it breaks it breaks! I tend to carry it by hand with the lens downward . . . or else by the lens.

. . . if you don't like it I might even rescue you (I'd really like one on the A77).

No bike trips for me :cry: I still have the beautiful hand made Young's bike which I built in the 70's (the frame was made to fit, then I made the bike up including building the wheels). Unfortunately time is short, and if exercise is on the agenda the dog wants to come too!

Hmmm - well, there's no question that the M9 is still my system of choice when I 'mean it' - but I guess that when I want best AF then I'd tend to use the A77, that might change with the NEX7 and the adapter - not sure yet.

But as for focus peaking - it's not always perfect . . . but then I don't always get it perfect with the M9 . . .and AF isn't always perfect either! But like most MF systems it takes practice to get it right - and like ALL focusing systems there are mistakes. I'm getting as many keepers as I would with anything else I think.

I think the kit is pretty good - but I usually use the 18-200 if I'm going for a 'one camera one lens' solution - and if I'm taking more than that the kit lens gets left behind then too!

I think the thing about the 28-90 is that it does definitely have a little of that leica 'zing' about it.

back to work :(

have a great Sunday!
Hi again,
after years of full suspension MTB and road bikes I now use most often a nice handmade steel frame from a guy in Heidelberg (http://germans-cycles.com/03_tour_acid_x1.php) - I love it. It is great for tours, it takes a trailer with 2 kids as well.

...AF...yes, the Nex AF isnt allways perfect ;( I think the main problem is that the AF point is too large)

How good is that 18-200 compared to the Kit zoom?
Overall I believe you are more of a "zoom" guy than I am. I just like fast lenses better - first because of keeping ISO low and second to have the better posibility of subject isolation. And when zoom get an "interesting" speed (f2.8 or like the 28-90) they get pretty big and heavy- fine for DSLRs but IMO not so usefull for a small mirrorless camera.

I wonder how the 28-90 compares to the Zeiss 24-70?

jonoslack

Hi again,
after years of full suspension MTB and road bikes I now use most often a nice handmade steel frame from a guy in Heidelberg (http://germans-cycles.com/03_tour_acid_x1.php) - I love it. It is great for tours, it takes a trailer with 2 kids as well.
I suppose I could put the dog in a trailer :D
...AF...yes, the Nex AF isnt allways perfect ;( I think the main problem is that the AF point is too large)

How good is that 18-200 compared to the Kit zoom?
Overall I believe you are more of a "zoom" guy than I am. I just like fast lenses better - first because of keeping ISO low and second to have the better posibility of subject isolation. And when zoom get an "interesting" speed (f2.8 or like the 28-90) they get pretty big and heavy- fine for DSLRs but IMO not so usefull for a small mirrorless camera.

I wonder how the 28-90 compares to the Zeiss 24-70?
well - I haven't really compared the 18-200 with the kit zoom - it produces decent results, but it is a bit big.

I haven't compared the 28-90 with the Zeiss 24-70, but I might give it a go when the NEX7 finally appears. The Leica range is more attractive (for me) on APSc (neither is wide enough, so it's nice to have a bit of length). on FF I guess it might be different.
We'll see!

Paratom

I bet the dog would like it in the trailer.

Here is one more with the 24/1.8 while cooking dinner. I wish I had a nice gas fired cooking place.

philber

Hi all

As I am joining this excellent thread only now, I can't comment on every worthwhile picture, and apologise. But, in recent pages, Endre, Joao, Cindy, among others, have impressed me mightily. Well done!

One of mine, with ZM 18, from my home city

jonoslack

I bet the dog would like it in the trailer.

Here is one more with the 24/1.8 while cooking dinner. I wish I had a nice gas fired cooking place.
Lovely Tom - just had my supper, but it still looks good.

you don't need a gas fired cooking place . . . . you need an Aga . . .ours was made in 1958 - our modern gas cooker is used for storing magazines, and the microwave for hiding things we don't want our vertically achieved dog to get!

Terry

Hi all

As I am joining this excellent thread only now, I can't comment on every worthwhile picture, and apologise. But, in recent pages, Endre, Joao, Cindy, among others, have impressed me mightily. Well done!

I never tire of Paris photos. Well done!

Rich M

Hi all

I agree with Terry.....nice shot. The ZM18 looks pretty good on the 5N, at least it certainly does in your picture.

R

Paratom

Hi all

I really like the color and there is a certain "relaxing" effect when looking at this image. I really like it!

redsim74

So many great photos in this thread!

Here's a couple of my recent shots with the 5N and the less-than-exotic 18-55 kit. ;-)

Last edited:

jonoslack

So many great photos in this thread!

Here's a couple of my recent shots with the 5N and the less-than-exotic 18-55 kit. ;-)
Very nice . . . I like the rose especially, and it goes to show that there's nothing wrong with the kit lens (even if it ain't exotic!).

all the best

Paratom

The Paris shot is fine - but this is the one I really like, and it's making me kick myself that I passed over one of these on ebay (grrr).

all the best
HJono,
I remember that the 60 Macro you can get quite often for reasonable price. I had one when I had the DMR and loved that lens. Even the focal lens makes a lot of sense on a crop sensor.

H

hinioman

1/15 sec, f/2.8, iso 3200, 0 Ev, hand-held, jpg

5N with Pentax Auto 110 Pan Focus 18mm f/2.8

I am working with other Pentax Auto 110 owners and see if we can build an adapter to stop down the lenses. So far all efforts ends with quite severe vignette on the corners when we add a iris diaphragm right to the rear of the lens.

Cheers,
Hin

Bimjo

bokeh test

Trying out the bokeh on a new-to-me SMC Takumar 55/1.8. I think I might learn to like it.

Really busy background of framed pictures and a multi-panel mirror.

Varied light sources- tungsten lamp, bright white tree lights & window light on the wall.

And just to be weird- an abstract bokeh xmas tree.

philber

Thanks, Rich, Jono, t_streng! Much appreciated!

And many wonderful pictures from you, Endre, Jono, Rich, among others. Congratulations!

More from Japan with my Leica 60mm Makro. This delightful lens is not desperately hard to find on E-Bay, so keep the faith!