Site Sponsors

Thread: NEX 5N/ NEX 7 and WA lenses

memories

NEX 5N/ NEX 7 and WA lenses

Hi

I read here often, that there is always a problem with WA below 35mm with the old NEX 5 (color shift and smearing in the corners).

I would be interested, whether this problem is now fixed with the new NEX 5N and/or NEX 7 (once it is available)?

Especially with the Contax G21 and Contax G28.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: NEX 5N/ NEX 7 and WA lenses

Quote Originally Posted by memories View Post
    Hi

I read here often, that there is always a problem with WA below 35mm with the old NEX 5 (color shift and smearing in the corners).

I would be interested, whether this problem is now fixed with the new NEX 5N and/or NEX 7 (once it is available)?

Samples here of several WA lenses on the NEX-5N.
    http://www.pbase.com/scho/nex&page=all
    Carl
    Gallery

dcjs

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Very useful comparison images, thanks for the effort!

memories

Hi Carl,

thanks for the link. Do you have by accident also the same images with F2.8?

I do not know with which settings the NEX5 gave the mentioned problems, so I can not judge it really. Did you or anybody else have the NEX5 before you bought the NEX 5N?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Carl,

thanks for the link. Do you have by accident also the same images with F2.8?

I do not know with which settings the NEX5 gave the mentioned problems, so I can not judge it really. Did you or anybody else have the NEX5 before you bought the NEX 5N?
    No, sorry but many of the lenses I was comparing have max apertures around f/4 or smaller. Also, I was mainly interested in looking at edge/corner quality at apertures that I would most likely be using at the "sweet" spot for these lenses in real world shooting and that is close to f/5.6. If I were shooting wide open for nice bokeh with a fast lens then corner/edge performance would not be a primary concern. If you really need edge to edge sharpness at wide apertures don't bother looking at RF lenses for use with these mirror-less cameras. Given the excellent high ISO performance of these newer cameras, lens speed is not a big deal anymore (exceptions might be the need for smooth bokeh and street prowling in the middle of the night).
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    It's interesting to see a sample from the Canon 24mm tilt lens as I've seen someone on the Internet say that the 17mm TS-E lens wasn't suitable because it could only be used wide open. Is this incorrect?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sarnia View Post
    It's interesting to see a sample from the Canon 24mm tilt lens as I've seen someone on the Internet say that the 17mm TS-E lens wasn't suitable because it could only be used wide open. Is this incorrect?
    You can stop down the lens to the desired aperture first on a Canon body, hold in the DOF preview button, and then remove the lens to retain the aperture setting. I have heard that there are newer adapters for Canon EF lenses that will allow aperture setting without resorting to this camera switching procedure, but I haven't used them.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

These threads from DPR link to full res images shot with the NEX7 and a range of lenses (M mount as well as NEX). Based on the somewhat poor IQ in the outer zones, it appears the NEX7 sensor may not have the angled micro-lenses.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=39561849

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=39560586

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=39560986
    Last edited by lambert; 11th October 2011 at 00:52.

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts exactly, lambert. I was just going to post something to that effect, and was pleased to see your message already there. This is not the sort of issue you would expect to be solved in the production model! Nettar

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried the Contax G 21mm/2.8 on a NEX?

Post Thanks / Like

Would be interesting to find out if the new NEX-5N has solved and how effectively the problems 21 G Biogon had on the first NEX cameras. I have the 21G and have used it quite a lot on NEX-3. The corners are not that great. Stopped down is ok, but not good enough. From what I have heard there are some improvements. SImilarly interesting would be performance of Contarex 21mm and ZM 21/4.5!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi There
    I can't help with the Zeiss lenses.
    However I've just been testing the WATE (leica 16-18-21 tri-elmar) and the 24 f1.4 summilux on the NEX5n.
    I'm not sure that I'd actually want to use them much (I'd rather use them on the M9) but they seem to work really well - no obvious colour shifts, perfectly useable wide open - sharp corners - minimal vignetting.

What's not to like?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There
    However I've just been testing the WATE (leica 16-18-21 tri-elmar) and the 24 f1.4 summilux on the NEX5n.
    I'm not sure that I'd actually want to use them much (I'd rather use them on the M9) but they seem to work really well - no obvious colour shifts, perfectly useable wide open - sharp corners - minimal vignetting.

What's not to like?
    Thanks. I had a NEX 7 on order to carry as a back up for my M9 but I've now cancelled it and ordered a 5N instead.

Performance with my WATE was one question mark which you have generously answered.

Best,

Bill

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There

What's not to like?
    I am in agreement with Jono on WATE. I don't want to use the lens on NEX-5N/7. To me the WATE is perfect lens on both M8 and M9.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I have used the Contax G28 for sometime now on my NEX-5N. There is no visible color shifts that I can detect. I'm perfectly OK with its edge/corner performance even with open f-stop (2.8). But it should be noted that at f2.8, G28 does have noticeable vignetting, which is normal for the Biogon design.

I also used the G21 on NEX-5N. It has noticeable color shift on the edges so I put it away and waiting for NEX-7 to arrive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
    I have used the Contax G28 for sometime now on my NEX-5N. There is no visible color shifts that I can detect. I'm perfectly OK with its edge/corner performance even with open f-stop (2.8). But it should be noted that at f2.8, G28 does have noticeable vignetting, which is normal for the Biogon design.

I also used the G21 on NEX-5N. It has noticeable color shift on the edges so I put it away and waiting for NEX-7 to arrive.
    Hi,

Interesting that you are shooting with a 21mm on the Nex bodies. Apart of the colour problems in the corners, did you have to modify the 21mm lens in order to mount it on the adapter ? I mean, did you have to cut the protruding plastic wings in the rear or the lens ? And which adapter were you using ? Are all adapters equal, or are there some which would allow the use of the wider lenses (28, 21, 16) without modifications ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Post Thanks / Like

No problems with the regular 5, and CV21. Not sure if it matters, but I'm using the LTM version with LTM to M adapter and the R/J M to nex adapter.

Hi

My Photography Blog here

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Hi,

Interesting that you are shooting with a 21mm on the Nex bodies. Apart of the colour problems in the corners, did you have to modify the 21mm lens in order to mount it on the adapter ? I mean, did you have to cut the protruding plastic wings in the rear or the lens ? And which adapter were you using ? Are all adapters equal, or are there some which would allow the use of the wider lenses (28, 21, 16) without modifications ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.
    I didn't cut the plastic wings on my G21.

I have a generic Chinese made adapter that I paid $20 for. If I mount the G21 on the adapter first, then it won't be able to fit into the camera body. But if I mount the adapter first to the body then mount the lens to the adapter, it works fine. I just have to remember to unmount the lens first when I change lens. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I never had any problems with NEX5 and 8mm lens ... fairy tales ?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Isn't the 8mm built for a dslr with a different registration distance. Wide angle dslr lenses aren't a problem for the Sony's either. It is wide angle rangefinder lenses that sit closer to the sensor.

Post Thanks / Like

Even on the original NEX 3/5, there were never any problems with DSLR lenses, however wide.
    Problems came from rangefinder lenses wider than 35mm.
    With the 5N, this is now fixed, as is demonstrated by the fact that the Zeiss ZM 18 works fine with it. But there are still some exceptions, as expertly written up by Dr H. Nasse from Carl Zeiss, when the rangefinder wide angle lens is a symetrical design, like the Zeiss Biogon family, or the CV designs,