Good Luck - I hope it appears soon!

Here is a market shot from Palermo

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Share Your A77 Images Here

pussy pussy pussy
    (the A77 can be relied on to focus on the critical point)

both with the SZ 16-80

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Suffolk sunset
    (SZ 16-80 again)

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Again, with the SZ 16-80
    Night time in the square

early morning view from Il Palazzone

Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It came today Jono ...... Unfortunately during another one of our high wind and heavy rain days. Weather shows it is to stop around 0400 and just be overcast all day tomorrow. I will try to get some eagle shots if this pans out.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are a couple from the botanic gardens in Palermo:

Both taken with the 24mm Zeiss f2.
    Exif should be intact.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

What better subject matter for first day out with the a77 in the USA

Learned a bunch about this camera from my mistakes when I got home and processed them.... I will put what I learned into my next outing out there. As in all new to me camera's I have to go through a learning curve with them. I will be the first to admit I really am not much of a BIF photographer but wanted to see how this camera would preform doing this. All shot JPEG Aperture preferred.

Post Thanks / Like

Still at the learning curve of shooting BIF, but for those standing still, I got chances with A77

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Great photos on the preceding pages!

I got an A77, today. Charged the battery, put in the SDHC card, added a lens and took a few photos outside my office when I left work. I was going to wait until tomorrow, but, what the heck. Auto and Auto+ (didn't know what that was then). Now, I'll read the manual. Parts of it anyway.

1. A77; 24-80mm f/2.8; 70mm; 1/60s @ f/2.8; ISO 1600

2. A77; 24-80mm f/2.8; 60mm; 1/60s @ f/2.8; ISO 1600

3. A77; 24-80mm f/2.8; 24mm; 1/60s @ f/2.8; ISO 400

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Great photos on the preceding pages!

I got an A77, today. Charged the battery, put in the SDHC card, added a lens and took a few photos outside my office when I left work. I was going to wait until tomorrow, but, what the heck. Auto and Auto+ (didn't know what that was then). Now, I'll read the manual. Parts of it anyway.
    HI Matt
    When you read it . . . can you tell me what it says?
    Great to have you here - I hope you enjoy it as much as I am. I just wish that Apple would hurry up with the Aperture support :sleep006:

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

On LL one author states the A65 to be more noisy than the A900 ( http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...ressions.shtml )
    Believing the A77 and A65 have the same sensor I wonder which camera does deliver the better IQ in your guys opinion?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    On LL one author states the A65 to be more noisy than the A900 ( http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...ressions.shtml )
    Believing the A77 and A65 have the same sensor I wonder which camera does deliver the better IQ in your guys opinion?
    From what I'm seeing now the A77 is as noisy as the A900 too. However, I don't think it's time to come to any firm conclusions about this - there is (according to rumour) a version 2 of the firmware coming out in early November to deal with this - something about upgrading the processor before shipping, but not the firmware to match it.

Mind you - I'm not having any problems up to and including ISO 1600, and I don't often go higher than that anyway..

I doubt there's any image quality difference between the A65 and A77 (why would there be).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Matt
    When you read it . . . can you tell me what it says?
    Great to have you here - I hope you enjoy it as much as I am. I just wish that Apple would hurry up with the Aperture support :sleep006:
    Jono: Thanks. I'm enjoying it so far (i'd enjoy it more, but work keeps getting in the way!). I swore off DSLR's, but it was right in front of me in a box at the camera store. I was helpless.

My current rationale: 1. M9 and M7 use M-mount lenses, 2. Nex 5N and 7 can use M-mount lenses and A-mount lenses, 3. A77 uses A-Mount lenses. It's almost one camera 'system'!

I'm an LR3 guy, so best of luck with Aperture support. I'll, also, let you know if there's anything interesting in the manual.

BTW: I did notice a fair bit of noise in the ISO 1600 images that i shot last night. At the moment, I'm attributing it to my inexperience with the camera.

Cheers, Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Taken during lunch today. Thanks for looking.

1. A77; Zeiss 85mm f/1.4; 1/160s @ f/1.4; ISO 400

2. A77; Zeiss 85mm f/1.4; 1/160s @ f/1.4; ISO 500

3. A77; Zeiss 85mm f/1.4; 1/160s @ f/1.4; ISO 500

Cheers, Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

'Cor . . . I hope you didn't drink any of that coloured stuff! (nice shot though)

Jono: Thanks. I'm enjoying it so far (i'd enjoy it more, but work keeps getting in the way!). I swore off DSLR's, but it was right in front of me in a box at the camera store. I was helpless.

My current rationale: 1. M9 and M7 use M-mount lenses, 2. Nex 5N and 7 can use M-mount lenses and A-mount lenses, 3. A77 uses A-Mount lenses. It's almost one camera 'system'!
    Well - that's my rationale exactly - and if we've both got to the same place then it must be right
    I'm an LR3 guy, so best of luck with Aperture support. I'll, also, let you know if there's anything interesting in the manual.

BTW: I did notice a fair bit of noise in the ISO 1600 images that i shot last night. At the moment, I'm attributing it to my inexperience with the camera.

Cheers, Matt
    Well, I think they're noisy as well, but I don't think it's your inexperience, I also found it noise when converting to DNG for use in Aperture - I'm hoping it'll improve with a firmware upgrade, and I also suspect the Adobe conversion (which was presumably done WRT the first version of the firmware). We shall see. Still, the 5n is so good in low light that it just refines the different roles for the cameras even more

Incidentally - did you find the Hawks Helicoid?

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, I shot a landscape shot JPEG at iso 50 that had a huge amount of small detail and colors in the forest leaves. When opened in Aperture it was so intense and for lack of a better word "edgy" it was hard on my eyes to view in a fit to screen view. I would of bet this was noise but when exploded out to a full image view this edginess and intensity turned into incredible detail and IQ. When I printed it at a a4 size the image had excellent detail and IQ.

Now my Eagle shots were JPEGs using the 2x in camera tele converter ON. When views at fit to screen the detail was great as was the IQ. Could this noise issue many are referring to be a pixelation or pixel density issue instead. When the image size is reduced and binned I just don't see any noise issues at all and I forced myself yesterday to shoot these eagle at 1600 iso just to see if I could see any noise. I did not see any at all.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

'Cor . . . I hope you didn't drink any of that coloured stuff! (nice shot though)

Well - that's my rationale exactly - and if we've both got to the same place then it must be right

Well, I think they're noisy as well, but I don't think it's your inexperience, I also found it noise when converting to DNG for use in Aperture - I'm hoping it'll improve with a firmware upgrade, and I also suspect the Adobe conversion (which was presumably done WRT the first version of the firmware). We shall see. Still, the 5n is so good in low light that it just refines the different roles for the cameras even more

Incidentally - did you find the Hawks Helicoid?

all the best
    Jono: Thanks. Nope, didn't drink any of that. I convert into Adobe DNG and hopefully that can be improved. New firmware also might help. Noise isn't as noticeable on the 5N, even up to ISO 3200. It's the low light champ of the bunch, so far. Still haven't managed to find the Hawks Helicold. I'll keep looking.

Cheers, Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    Jono, I shot a landscape shot JPEG at iso 50 that had a huge amount of small detail and colors in the forest leaves. When opened in Aperture it was so intense and for lack of a better word "edgy" it was hard on my eyes to view in a fit to screen view. I would of bet this was noise but when exploded out to a full image view this edginess and intensity turned into incredible detail and IQ. When I printed it at a a4 size the image had excellent detail and IQ.

Now my Eagle shots were JPEGs using the 2x in camera tele converter ON. When views at fit to screen the detail was great as was the IQ. Could this noise issue many are referring to be a pixelation or pixel density issue instead. When the image size is reduced and binned I just don't see any noise issues at all and I forced myself yesterday to shoot these eagle at 1600 iso just to see if I could see any noise. I did not see any at all.

Jim: Very interesting point! I don't know enough about the technology. I haven't printed anything yet. I'll do so this weekend. The 'noise' is very uniform.

This was shot with 85mm f/1.4, 1/160s @ f/3.2; ISO 1600, and cropped way in.

Cheers, Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's a great shot Jim - I must agree that ISO 1600 in decent light seems to be fine - I've done a couple of prints up to A2+ and the detail is excellent. I think that part of the issue is back to the hoary old chestnut that we all look at our images at 100% - but 100% of a 24mp image is not the same as 100% of a 16mp image!

I should say - I've no complaints about the A77 image quality - seems fine to me - but I don't thing that we've got to the 'final truth' yet!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

does anyone in the usa have a77 in stock yet?
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Jono: I have no complaints. I like the A77 a lot! I, also, think your assessment is right on.

Steve: I was literally at Glazers Camera in Seattle when they got a UPS delivery with at least two A77's: one demo and one that I bought. Didn't intend to buy anything that day. I also think I saw one at Kenmore Camera in Kenmore, WA, on Thursday. Happy hunting.

Cheers, Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Mark
    The chicken is splendid - one of my favourite subjects.

Here are a few odds and sods.

Zeiss 24 f2

Zeiss 24 f2

Zeiss 24 f2

Zeiss 24 f2

Sz16-80

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

A few shots from the past day or so, with the newly arrived and quite stellar Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 USD tele. Found this one after a long search, Cardiff in the UK, 10 days to Australia. I had heard this was an excellent lens and I totally agree, super fast focus and silent, and an excellent price at $539 AUD including shipping from UK to Australia to boot.

It seems to work well at all focal lengths, it is better than reported IMHO. Examples below, in the first two shots JPG out of camera with no PP, first at 135mm second at 250mm, third is a long shot of a street sign at 120meters, cropped 30%. All except the moon were hand held.

SLT-A77V, f/7.1 @ 135 mm, 1/640, ISO 200

SLT-A77V, f/7.1 @ 250 mm, 1/640, ISO 200

Cropped 40% SLT-A77V, f/9 @ 230 mm, 1/1600, ISO 400

Cropped 40% Comp. SLT-A77V, f/9 @ 250 mm, 1/1000, ISO 800

Last nights moon, cropped to 20% SLT-A77V, f/8 @ 300 mm, 1/320, ISO 400

Cropped 40% and Resized, SLT-A77V, f/5 @ 90 mm, 1/200, ISO 200

A great combination the Tamron and A77, and it is a lighter lens than the VR Nikon 70-300 I had with the D7000.

Phil
    Photo-Matix Imagery - Capturing Life with a camera
    Panasonic Lumix GX8, Lumix G85, Lumix GX7, and various lenses.
    Gallery: http://photos.photo-matix.com.au

Post Thanks / Like

ISO 1600

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
    great image and I really do like the color!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey,
    Did you realize that Apple finally decided to release the Camera update?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Lunchtime at the Pike Place Market.

1. SLT-A77V; Zeis 85mm f/1.4; 1/160s @ f/3.2; ISO 1600

2. SLT-A77V; Zeis 85mm f/1.4; 1/160s @ f/2.8; ISO 1600

3. SLT-A77V; Zeis 85mm f/1.4; 1/160s @ f/3.5; ISO 1600

4. SLT-A77V; Zeis 85mm f/1.4; 1/160s @ f/4; ISO 250

Cheers, Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Mark: Great looking chicken!
    Jono: Cool photos with that Zeiss 24 f/2. Especially like the detail and light in the mauve flower. I've seen that lane captured by you with different gear...well done. I was out with that 16-80 lens today. Seem pretty good.
    Matix: That does seem like an excellent lens.
    Mark: Beautifully focused butterfly!

Cheers, Matt

Post Thanks / Like

We were with a group of Minolta/Sony shooters in Madrid and there was an A77 among us that we all used.

Mixed feelings on the viewfinder (not perfect, but maybe it's just getting used to it) but IQ and operations are very good:

Stretching runner (with a Minolta 80-200 HS)

Street scene (with a Minolta 85/1.4)

Street vendor (with a Minolta 85/1.4)

(exif inside)

Post Thanks / Like

Just a heads up, From Apple: Digital Camera RAW

This update adds RAW image compatibility for the following cameras to Aperture 3 and iPhoto '11:

Canon PowerShot S100
    Nikon 1 J1
    Nikon 1 V1
    Nikon COOLPIX P7100
    Olympus PEN E-PL1s
    Olympus PEN E-PL3
    Olympus PEN E-PM1
    Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ150
    Sony Alpha NEX-5N
    Sony Alpha SLT-A65
    Sony Alpha SLT-A77
    David Anderson

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay I can see the raw in iPhoto but I cannot see a thumbnail in a folder on the OS ( Lion). CS5 will not open it either. Really want to see the thumbnails in my folders. capture One it is supported folks which I use anyway.

Anyway I will have a lot to post late next week after a trip to NY to shoot the city for a project. Fingers crossed weather holds up
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Oh that is just wrong! In order to update my aperture 3 to read my a77 raw I have to update my MAC operating system to 10.6.8???? I currently run 10.5.8 and saw no reason to update until now ..... This is just wrong!

Guess not enough people were buying Lion...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh that is just wrong! In order to update my aperture 3 to read my a77 raw I have to update my MAC operating system to 10.6.8???? I currently run 10.5.8 and saw no reason to update until now ..... This is just wrong!

Guess not enough people were buying Lion...
    Hi David - thanks for the heads up.

Hi Jim
    Well, I think that's pretty normal - Same is true of ACR and photoshop.
    besides which, the Lion upgrade is really cheap, and generally pretty worthwhile I'd say.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I just researched it. I am running Leopard and have to buy the upgrade to Snow Leopard (only $30) and then Lion is a free upgrade. All in all not bad I guess but you have to remember I am old and tend to resist change Plus I am not comfortable when I have to add new operating systems .... kinda a low tech kinda guy anymore.

I have 2 CAT scans this morning then I will run up to the Apple store and get my copy of Snow Leopard.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah I just researched it. I am running Leopard and have to buy the upgrade to Snow Leopard (only $30) and then Lion is a free upgrade. All in all not bad I guess but you have to remember I am old and tend to resist change Plus I am not comfortable when I have to add new operating systems .... kinda a low tech kinda guy anymore.

I have 2 CAT scans this morning then I will run up to the Apple store and get my copy of Snow Leopard.
    Good luck with the scans - really good luck
    Lion is good - so is the reverse scrolling (if you use an iPad or an iPhone). If you don't like it though - you can turn it off!.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jono ....

Post Thanks / Like

Lunchtime at the Pike Place Market.

Cheers, Matt

Matt: I'm glad to see, that you restart making pictures at Pike Place Market (over and over again ). Really love them , and the new equipment seems to work great here as well!
    Best regards - Hermann

Post Thanks / Like

Has anybody shot any images that are polarized blue sky? Specifically, I am wondering about blue channel noise when is underexposed at base ISO? Same Question for the A900.

Thanks

Andrew
    Home page: www.aphotovid.com

Check out my gear blog!

Post Thanks / Like

Not much of a shot but it meets your criteria...... shot with a 11-16 Tokina on a a77 with a singh-ray warming polarizer @ 50 ISO

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting, do you happen to have any with darker skies? And if so, how is the noise?

Andrew

Check out my gear blog!

Post Thanks / Like

Andrew, usually with that 11-16 and a polarizer the skies usually have what I call a halo type look where the top center is dark and the sides are lighter. The pic I posted gave the most even lighting I had. As far as noise? I have not seen any noise issues with blue skies and polarizers at 50 iso. My issue is at 25 mp and a 50 ISO when viewed at screen view there is almost toooo much detail which makes viewing difficult. Change the view to 1-1 and that detail is like nothing else I have ever used to take photos. It's incredible IMO. Even with that 11-16 Tokina. Wish I had the coin for the wide angle Zeiss to really see what this sensor can do with landscapes.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Jono, How's the Aperture 3 Raw support look for the a77?

My Snow Leopard shipped and is scheduled for delivery this Friday

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Okay I can see the raw in iPhoto but I cannot see a thumbnail in a folder on the OS ( Lion). CS5 will not open it either. Really want to see the thumbnails in my folders. capture One it is supported folks which I use anyway.

Anyway I will have a lot to post late next week after a trip to NY to shoot the city for a project. Fingers crossed weather holds up
    Guy, download the release candidate for ACR to be able to open them in CS5. There is an RC of Lightroom 3.6 as well.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good luck with the scans - really good luck
    Lion is good - so is the reverse scrolling (if you use an iPad or an iPhone). If you don't like it though - you can turn it off!.
    Or get the Magic Trackpad which really unlocks all of the gesture based controls in Lion. It really opened up the new OS for me.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cheeky grey squirrel racing home with his stolen walnut.

Fortunately the A77 is great for capturing fast moving subjects!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Andrew, usually with that 11-16 and a polarizer the skies usually have what I call a halo type look where the top center is dark and the sides are lighter. The pic I posted gave the most even lighting I had. As far as noise? I have not seen any noise issues with blue skies and polarizers at 50 iso. My issue is at 25 mp and a 50 ISO when viewed at screen view there is almost toooo much detail which makes viewing difficult. Change the view to 1-1 and that detail is like nothing else I have ever used to take photos. It's incredible IMO. Even with that 11-16 Tokina. Wish I had the coin for the wide angle Zeiss to really see what this sensor can do with landscapes.
    Thanks for the reply, I am concerned because I have run into noise problems with different formats over the years. It just one of those things that I check before I purchase.

Cheers

Andrew

Check out my gear blog!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gough View Post
    Has anybody shot any images that are polarized blue sky? Specifically, I am wondering about blue channel noise when is underexposed at base ISO? Same Question for the A900.

Thanks

Andrew
    Here's another one, with the CZ 16-80 and a Hoya circular polarizer:
    full frame:

Top right corner, 1:1 (the darkest)
    (default LR3.4 conversion, only lens profile vignetting correction reduced to 0)

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Samples of the dreaded HDR Painting, 35mm, 1.4 lens;

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One from today with the Zeiss 24-70 (uncritisizable on the A77 I think) . . . . apart from size and weight!

Just this guy you know