The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Share Your A77 Images Here

Mark K

I was using a Minolta 50mm macro. It could also be the kit lens 16-50. Let me go back to lightroom for detailed.

Mark K

Yes, I was using the kit lens, a surprise to me. For unknown reasons, I simply do not like the Tamron 17-50/2.8.

jonoslack

Yes, I was using the kit lens, a surprise to me. For unknown reasons, I simply do not like the Tamron 17-50/2.8.
Ahh! do you have the kit lens? it wasn't available when I got ours.
I don't like the Tamron 17-50 either - it mystifies me why anyone does, I've tried it various times.

Mark K

Jono
My Tamron with EF mount got quirky elements and images have never been sharp....
Sony 16-50 is a real treat. Sharp at wide open with true Sony colours...and build quality even better than my old 16-80 ZA.

jonoslack

Hi Mark
the 16-50 is still very much NOT AVAILABLE over here . . . but the camera's working well, despite the 1.02 firmware - no hangs or problems.

This Morning's Run - Suffolk Dawn (things went downhill from here):

dhsimmonds

Great stuff Jono and Mark.

That 16-50 lens looks to be a corker Mark!

I was advised by Sony UK yesterday that there is a 4 day delay before they can despatch my A77 with the 16-50. I suspect that is a customs type bureaucratic delay! I should now have it delivered to my door next Tuesday 18th October, all being well.:D

So long as it is with me before I leave for India at the end of October, preferably with a bit of time left to get used to the viewfinder!

dhsimmonds

It's arrived complete with 16-50DT lens and firmware 1.03.

the weather had just turned horribly dark and cloudy as I had finished unpacking and gawping at it! First impressions, much lighter than the A700 and the lens is really neat. Menu system is slightly different to A900/A700 but instantly recognisable to users of those cameras, so easily set up.

Just a few images where I unpacked it, so first up is my A700 with 70-400 lens. Focus is on the SONY letters on the camera body. ISO 200. I wanted to learn just how close this 16-50 lens would focus! In fact today was all about just that really.

The second is just a yew berry with focus on the berry at ISO3200 just to see how noisy the images were at ISO 3200! second and third are the last greenhouse tomatoes focus on the nearest red tomato at ISO 3200 to check noise in a lighter scene. All at very close focus the toms were focused using the articulated LCD.....very useful indeed!

Jim DE

Jono, Looks like it will be quite awhile longer before USA photographers will be able to post on this thread. The warehouse notified Sony Style customer service today at noon that the estimated new ship date for a77's will be 11/4/11 instead of 10/21/11. The ship date for the NEX 7 is still 11/9/11 so now I am rethinking getting the a77 being as one of the reasons I went for the a77 instead of the NEX 7 was a timing issue to get fall color shots and mating pair eagle photo's. By the second week in November I have missed those event windows anyway.

I use my Nex5 with legacy glass far more than my a33 (like 90% to 10% more) for my style of outdoor shots so I may just sell off the new sony wall chargers and new Sony batteries I got for the a77 and cancel the a77 order and go for the NEX 7 instead. It's date is only 5 days later here in the USA than the new a77 ship date

Here is one of my NEX5 shots from last Saturday...... I do like that combo of NEX and Contax G ;)

Jim DE

NEVERMIND Jono...... I am totally convinced one hand does not know what the other is doing.

After two phone calls to Sony style and them assuring me the date was moved back to 11/4 my bank account just got charged by SS and the status was changed to ready to ship 10/18.

It's coming............

Jim DE

It came today Jono ...... Unfortunately during another one of our high wind and heavy rain days. Weather shows it is to stop around 0400 and just be overcast all day tomorrow. I will try to get some eagle shots if this pans out.

jonoslack

Here are a couple from the botanic gardens in Palermo:

Both taken with the 24mm Zeiss f2.
Exif should be intact.

all the best

Jim DE

What better subject matter for first day out with the a77 in the USA ;) ;)

Learned a bunch about this camera from my mistakes when I got home and processed them.... I will put what I learned into my next outing out there. As in all new to me camera's I have to go through a learning curve with them. I will be the first to admit I really am not much of a BIF photographer but wanted to see how this camera would preform doing this. All shot JPEG Aperture preferred.

m_driscoll

Great photos on the preceding pages! :thumbs:

I got an A77, today. Charged the battery, put in the SDHC card, added a lens and took a few photos outside my office when I left work. I was going to wait until tomorrow, but, what the heck. Auto and Auto+ (didn't know what that was then). Now, I'll read the manual. Parts of it anyway.

1. A77; 24-80mm f/2.8; 70mm; 1/60s @ f/2.8; ISO 1600

2. A77; 24-80mm f/2.8; 60mm; 1/60s @ f/2.8; ISO 1600

3. A77; 24-80mm f/2.8; 24mm; 1/60s @ f/2.8; ISO 400

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

jonoslack

Great photos on the preceding pages! :thumbs:

I got an A77, today. Charged the battery, put in the SDHC card, added a lens and took a few photos outside my office when I left work. I was going to wait until tomorrow, but, what the heck. Auto and Auto+ (didn't know what that was then). Now, I'll read the manual. Parts of it anyway.
HI Matt
When you read it . . . can you tell me what it says?:ROTFL:
Great to have you here - I hope you enjoy it as much as I am. I just wish that Apple would hurry up with the Aperture support :sleep006: